2010 NHRA rule- Locking transmission dipstick required

turbodave231

FYI,

There is a new rule in the General Regulations section of the 2010 NHRA rulebook: NHRA approved locking transmission dipstick required for all vehicles using an automatic trans running 10.99 or faster.

I just purchased a Lokar Positive locking firewall mount. I haven't installed it yet, but I'll report how it works out.

my local has no problems with the std lokar fill tubes
the locking one works nice have to pull up the collar to remove the dipstick ..kinda like an air hose fitting (actually looks more like a pressure washer disconnect fitting )
i beleive you can use the locking dipstick off ford trucks if you were really pressed to satisfy a tech inspector ,ill have to pull a few and see what works

i also asked my local tech guy about pants and he said for 9s yeah , whatever the new reg reads hes not going to push something he'll have problems enforcing and the way racings going they really dont want to push a paying customer away ,
now if its an NHRA sanctioned event then i would imagine the rules would be more strictly enforced

Billy,

I hope this helps you.

The way I read the rules, a lower engine containment device is not needed until your ET is 7.49 or faster. I found this in the Advanced ET rules.

Scanning through the other classes that you might consider:

Pro...............No
Super Pro......No
Advanced ET..Yes*
Stock ...........No
Super Stock...No
Super Street...No
Super Gas ......Yes

* running ET 7.49 or quicker

Disclaimer:This is just my interpretation of the rules.....

What good is a locking dipstick if you have an open vent on the trans that has no catch can?

I agree......I don't make the rules, but I agree!!

Have you ever seen a trans overheat and puke fluid out the dipstick tube?

I have......it caused a "Thermal Event"

Well, I got the new Lokar locking dipstick installed the other night. I had to relieve the cast aluminum transpan to clear the retaining nut.

The main tube of the dipstick quick connects to the stub end that mounts in the transmission. This will make trans R&R much easier.

I haven't decided where to mount the firewall end just yet, but overall a nice product.

Dave

The Locar trans dipstick units I have used are a PIA to use when adding fluid as the tube is so small. :(

We have made a billet lever to replace the ugly plastic piece on a regular locking dipstick that fits in the existing tube. :)

Attachments

• Trans dipstick.jpg
    Trans dipstick.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 969
Nick, The dipstick tube on the model I installed is very large. In fact, my trans funnel fits perfectly inside the quick connect. I think you may be referring to earlier versions of Lokar's dipstick. (I've heard that before about Lokar's dipsticks)

Lokar also supplies a plug to seal up the trans for removal or storage when you disconnect the tube. I'll post a couple of pics to clarify what I'm saying.

Well, I got the new Lokar locking dipstick installed the other night. I had to relieve the cast aluminum transpan to clear the retaining nut.

The main tube of the dipstick quick connects to the stub end that mounts in the transmission. This will make trans R&R much easier.

I haven't decided where to mount the firewall end just yet, but overall a nice product.

Dave

Any pics? A pn would be great also, thanx 4 sharing. :cool:

Dave

I did my old one with the motor out and drilled and tapped 2 1/4 20 bolt holes on valve cover.if you need to remove just spin the big nut off.

I got mine a couple of years ago from ATI. They don't make one for 200r4s, but they do for BOP 350 & 400 transmissions ATI - Trick Sticks® & Tube Locks . They do sell just the handle that you can modify to fit your original dipstick. Or you could be cheap and go junkyarding and get one off of a old GM truck, Tahoe, or Suburbun. :D