New 2010 NHRA Safety Rules...

Bret Kepner

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:

1. To prevent transmission leaks, all cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker must have an NHRA-accepted locking-type dipstick in the transmission.

2. To improve the strength-mounting point of parachutes on all vehicles running more than 150 mph, parachutes must have their own independent mounting sleeved half-inch-minimum steel bolts or pins. Material around the holes for the bolts/pins must be equal to or greater than the bolt/pin size.

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

damn, now we need fire pants just because we have an aftermarket turbo. CRAP

?

We need rules to keep everyone safe, I feel much better having the required equpitment. When you start going over 130 mph stuff happens fast.If you dont have what it takes to run the et dont line up next to me!!
DDay

guess what, put a tire on a new Z06 and youll goev over 130. and chevy doesnt put a cage, battery shutoff, have extended wheel studs, driveshaft loops, ect in them from the factory.

my buick isnt caged. its a TRUE street car. i WILL NOT cage it.
infact, answer me this, can you prove at any point in NHRA history that by not having a cage caused someone to wreck? by not having a driveshaft loop? by not having a battery cut off? by not wearing a fire jacket/pants?

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.
I always did find it a little strange that the jackets were required but not the pants. I mean if you catch on fire ur legs make up the other half of ur body. Sux tho, more money to be spent:mad:

guess what, put a tire on a new Z06 and youll goev over 130. and chevy doesnt put a cage, battery shutoff, have extended wheel studs, driveshaft loops, ect in them from the factory.
True. But, that is an $80k car that is unlikely to fail due to breakage.

Imports at LVD last week caused (4) 45 minute shutdowns do to breakage.

The funny part was the announcer stated "I don't know about you guys but i'm sick of all the imports from Bridgeport spilling fluids all over the track cause they don't know how to build race cars".

lol, I was actually really suprised he said that but after the 4th 45 min shutdown I just don't think the guy could help himself.

my buick isnt caged. its a TRUE street car. i WILL NOT cage it.
infact, answer me this, can you prove at any point in NHRA history that by not having a cage caused someone to wreck? by not having a driveshaft loop? by not having a battery cut off? by not wearing a fire jacket/pants?

The cage is to keep you from DIEING not to keep you from wrecking.

If you have a driveshaft let go at speed then yes a loop could keep you from wrecking.

Battery cut off so the track personnel can shut off your car keeping things like the fuel pump from running and spraying the area and possibly killing you.

Fire Jacket in case there still is a fire.

GM doesn't put a cage in the car because you shouldn't be driving 130 on public roads. Once you take it off road and to a track it's on you or the people that run the track. Therefore they have rules so you don't die and then your family sues the track.

I don't have a bar in my car either, but I'm going to act like them having a rule about it is stupid.

???

Colin has saw my car and it is astreet car. A z06 has aroll bar from the factory, The drive shaft cant come out till it rips all the exhaust off, no long studs , it dosent come with sticky DOTs from the factory.Back under the cover of my roll bar and wrapped in my fire jacket!!
DDay

Colin has saw my car and it is astreet car. A z06 has aroll bar from the factory, The drive shaft cant come out till it rips all the exhaust off, no long studs , it dosent come with sticky DOTs from the factory.Back under the cover of my roll bar and wrapped in my fire jacket!!
DDay

I've seen it...And it's NICE.

Uhhhh....the rules aren't written to keep you from crashing. They're written to keep you from DYING.

Uhhhh....the rules aren't written to keep you from crashing. They're written to keep you from DYING.

Bret, remember, some of these guy's will never understand. They spend thousand's of dollars trying to go fast, but nothing on safety. :rolleyes: It's a free country so that's there choice. They just wont be able to come play anymore ;) I'm all for saftey, I wouldnt take a chance like that. I dont want my kids growing up without a dad or make my wife a widow. I'm not that selfish. Oh, and my "real street car" is getting a cage :cool:

The cage is to keep you from DIEING not to keep you from wrecking.

If you have a driveshaft let go at speed then yes a loop could keep you from wrecking.

Battery cut off so the track personnel can shut off your car keeping things like the fuel pump from running and spraying the area and possibly killing you.

Fire Jacket in case there still is a fire.

GM doesn't put a cage in the car because you shouldn't be driving 130 on public roads. Once you take it off road and to a track it's on you or the people that run the track. Therefore they have rules so you don't die and then your family sues the track.

I don't have a bar in my car either, but I'm going to act like them having a rule about it is stupid.

your missing my point. when have the LACK of those "safty" items caused a wreck?! :eek: oh yeah.. never.

anyone local here can vouge for my cars go arrow straight and WORK. i guess guys like my get ****ed. oh well.

i dont class race my car, i grudge race them. and well, latly even at grudge events they want to see all this safty bull****. DOT approves my car, why cant a track?!

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:

1. To prevent transmission leaks, all cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker must have an NHRA-accepted locking-type dipstick in the transmission.

2. To improve the strength-mounting point of parachutes on all vehicles running more than 150 mph, parachutes must have their own independent mounting sleeved half-inch-minimum steel bolts or pins. Material around the holes for the bolts/pins must be equal to or greater than the bolt/pin size.

Thanks Bret. I will be adding a parachute:D

your missing my point. when have the LACK of those "safty" items caused a wreck?! :eek: oh yeah.. never.

anyone local here can vouge for my cars go arrow straight and WORK. i guess guys like my get ****ed. oh well.

i dont class race my car, i grudge race them. and well, latly even at grudge events they want to see all this safty bull****. DOT approves my car, why cant a track?!

Your day will come son.:( A tire will blow and you will wish you had that cage or when the driveshaft breaks at 130 plus mph and starts poking holes through the floor:eek: Been there! You will Understand and hopefully still have your legs:eek:

Your day will come son.:( A tire will blow and you will wish you had that cage or when the driveshaft breaks at 130 plus mph and starts poking holes through the floor:eek: Been there! You will Understand and hopefully still have your legs:eek:

Ya but even from a wheel chair, you can sue the track officials for letting your car run.