New 2010 NHRA Safety Rules...

Ask Odell Cantrell about safety rules. He walked away from a wall contact & sliding on the top during the 2009 GS Nationals this summer.

Here is a little food for thought for those who say it is my life etc etc so I should be able to race with no safety rules. What happens when you crash and die at the track??? Now the answer, the track is closed. If is is a NHRA/IHRA they start looking into what happend asap. So this does affect every other racer and spectator there.

See ya, Kip

What I see...............?

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:
.......3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

This is for cars 9.99 and faster, this rule has been there along with a cage, license and other items.

I do NOT see where it applies to stock cars unless they are in the 9's? :confused:

This is for cars 9.99 and faster, this rule has been there along with a cage, license and other items.

I do NOT see where it applies to stock cars unless they are in the 9's? :confused:

I believe this is a mandate to any car that runs an ALKY tank under the hood as it is another fuel tank. I may be wrong though.

Bryan

I believe this is a mandate to any car that runs an ALKY tank under the hood as it is another fuel tank. I may be wrong though.

Bryan
I thought that was true as well. that any car running alcohol would require them. I can only think alky in the engine bay would surely qualify.

SFI 3.2a/1 is the single layer fire jacket required at 11.50 in the 1/4 mile or 7.35 in the 1/8th mile. This means that all cars running 11.50 & faster now need a jacket and pants. FWIW the single layer stuff is pretty cheap. Double or triple layer is required at 9.99 & faster. This rule could also be similar to the engine diaper rule in which I haven't been to a track yet that enforced that rule.

John

SFI 3.2a/1 is the single layer fire jacket required at 11.50 in the 1/4 mile or 7.35 in the 1/8th mile. This means that all cars running 11.50 & faster now need a jacket and pants. FWIW the single layer stuff is pretty cheap. Double or triple layer is required at 9.99 & faster. This rule could also be similar to the engine diaper rule in which I haven't been to a track yet that enforced that rule.

John

Do you have a link that shows you need pants for 11.50, I can not find it?

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

It's in the first post-I have not read it anywhere else, I don't have a rule book either. Maybe Brett can chime in on a link.

John

This is what NHRA is saying....I'm not reading anything about fire pants changes, unless I'm reading it wrong....

I do not think you are reading it wrong. :)

The 2010 changes as currently posted on the NHRA site does NOT have any changes in Stock, Super Stock or ET classes for clothing requirements.

Just announced NHRA Safety Rules additions for 2010:

1. To prevent transmission leaks, all cars running 10.99 seconds or quicker must have an NHRA-accepted locking-type dipstick in the transmission.

2. To improve the strength-mounting point of parachutes on all vehicles running more than 150 mph, parachutes must have their own independent mounting sleeved half-inch-minimum steel bolts or pins. Material around the holes for the bolts/pins must be equal to or greater than the bolt/pin size.

3. All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants.

Brett, where did you get your info?