160 LB injecters with fast

TURBOZ

Anyone running 160lb injecter with your FAST? If you using a gasoline motor tell me how well it idles and can you get it to idle in the 13.8 A/F range? I need more injecter my 83's are done. This is a street card

Jake

TURBOZ said:
Anyone running 160lb injecter with your FAST? If you using a gasoline motor tell me how well it idles and can you get it to idle in the 13.8 A/F range? I need more injecter my 83's are done. This is a street card

Jake

Jake,

Possibly a step up to 95# injectors would be a better choice for a Street type car.

What power range are you trying to support?

If your 83's are done, the 95# should give you the cushion your looking for, as long as you are not stepping up on turbo size.

Is the Fast Unit a Bank to Bank or Sequential?

160# Injectors can and have been run on the Street with success, using the the Fast Sequential Units. Idling etc. not being an issue.

Not sure about using a Bank to Bank with 160# for a Street type senario.

Joe

I have tinkered a bit with 160s on a bank to bank, and I don't recommend it, idling in the 11~ af is what i have seen. I would go 96's and use alky injection, and make more power then on gas alone.

You can turn the fuel press down with them and ~ get it done (~ 13.8 a/f ratio). Otoh as Joe said, 8 x 95's is enough fuel for 1200+ hp, enough for most street cars anyway ;)

TurboTR

just as a side note. john gallina's twin turbo made 1300 hp and turned 9000 rpm' with 95's

I bought the 160# injecters I just started tuning the thing. It idles at 13.5-14.0 A/F@950rpm. Im going out now to start working on driveablity. I will have to see how that goes.

I thought about 96# injecters but at 80psi of fuel and 20lbs of boost the 83#ers were done. Then with 96's I dont really have room. I think 25lbs of boost the 96's would be done as well. Ill let everyone know how it goes with the 160's

Well i didnt have much luck with the 160's. I dont think the bank to bank can control the 160's for daily driving. While crusing the car would make the wide band jump around over one cells too drastic. For example one second a/f is great next its pullin 20% while at the same spot in the map. I try changing the cells around it and I cant dial it in. I turned off the wideband and still no luck. I would also incounter small lean spots in the map here and there.

Are these the problems people run into with 160's and bank-bank? If I go with a DFI gen 7 SFI box will my problems go away?

Your problems might go away, but you may have more problems with tuning, the gen7 is a great box at a good price, but its very hard to tune as its very complex especially ae enrichment.. If your used to the fast box just upgrade your box to sefi for about $600 i think. The gen 7 will cost you at least double plus more, when your done with the wide band stuff...

160#

my car idled good with 160# and with a old felpro seq, fire, question for joe, when you went to a dist, did you use a msd,7 or a msd 6 or anything else? thanks oc, :)

Been running a sequential on the street with 160's in a 4.5 liter 6 cylinder with no problems. Have also had to swap out the sequential for my spare bank to bank unit whenever it went in for repairs (fan relay, dead wideband, etc). No problems with the bank to bank either. I keep a nice rich idle at about 12.5 to 1, but no major sweeps liek you are seeing. Maybe play with your minimum on time and fuel pressure? No reason why a 160 on low fuel pressures won't run as good as a 95 with higher fuel pressure. If the car performs well don't focus so much on what the ECM is having to do.
Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

yeah im wondering being that the car is a 6 speed it might be a bit harder to control. Im also trying to acheive a 13.6 A/f which might be a part of the problem as well. The wide band cant control that a/f so i turned it off and it clears up most of the small part throttle lean spots. I bet if I ran the car at 12.5 across the cruising board it would be ok. I get 19mpg with my 83#ers.

I guess I couldnt do what I wanted with the 160's. I dont know if a sfi box would allow me to run the injectors down to a 13.8 a/f during cruise and let me go into closed loop under 1200rpm.

Im also wondering if the SFI box would give me better gas milage then the batch fire. Im sure some but how much? Would I be able to push the motor to a 14.7 during cruise? With the 83's I could only get it to 13.8 a/f before it would start to buck.

Im debating on going back to 83's and put meth injection on it or keep 160's and try SFI. I dont really like the 160's on the bank-bank so the SFI would have to be a big change

I guess I shouldnt say the 160#'s cant be used on the street. I can get them to work but it drinks the gas down pretty fast. I guess by saying has anyone ever done this does me no good because every app is different. If I turn the wide-band off the car runs smooth but like I said drinks the gas. Can any one of you guys run the bank-bank in closed loop before 3K rpm?

I also wonder about plugs. I could go a season on 2 sets of plugs, but now I wonder if it will turn into a weekly thing?

Maybe the car is better off with 83# injectors with meth.....

odell4o8 said:
my car idled good with 160# and with a old felpro seq, fire, question for joe, when you went to a dist, did you use a msd,7 or a msd 6 or anything else? thanks oc, :)

Odell,

With the Distributor, I am using the MSD 7AL-2 for the 6 cyl. If you get one used for a v8, they will re-configure it cheap.

As for 160# with Bank systems, it just doesn't work well at all. It will run but I have always had richness issues.

Bite the Bullet, go sequential :smile:

Joe

I was told by MSD that you can use hte V8 box,Only thing though,The rev limiter wont work correctly

KLHAMMETT said:
I was told by MSD that you can use hte V8 box,Only thing though,The rev limiter wont work correctly

I think it cost me $20-$25..........Odell has lots of extra cash buried in those glass jars in the yard...he can swing it :D

Joe

KLHAMMETT said:

The MSD 7al2 for a V8 will work as it is BUT you just have to figure out the pills for the rev limiter accordingly.If you want to limit your V6 to 8000 rpm, you multiply that by .75 and that will tell you which pill to use, in this case, a 6000rpm pill.
On the bank to bank unit, I have used them with 160's and got it to idle fine but it is much easier with sequential. Try to slow the injector open time down a little, this will help. No performance difference at wide open throttle, we swapped my bank to bank for my 67 Camaro into Jeff's TSO car the night before we went to the GSNAts, (because his quit)dumped the 160# sequential program into it and did a little tweaking on the bottom end to make it work.

I just cant seem to give up on these 160# injectors. I think I got the car dialed in pretty good now. I was reading some info under the Tuning Tips & FAQ's and there was a claim saying you shouldnt have to change your tune when moving injectors. I dont know if that applys to going from 83# to 160#'s?

Also is this a common problem with 160# injectors-

The wide band cant be turned on till after 3500rpm?

I get the same problem no matter what rpm im at under cruise. The o2 correction is hunting pretty bad and will cause the car to surge because of the violent a/f changing it does. Goes from 15.94-12.0 in the same cell. Is this problem common with bank-bank systems and 160's?