12 Degrees Knock Retard @ 13# Boost...WTF?

Car goes instant lean as soon as the boost gets to 10ish... Your not getting the FP rise as the boost goes up it appears
looking at it on PL frame x frame FP goes up with boost then flat lines when boost levels do...albeit FP is a little low. I turned it up some and will put it to the test again.

I was just reading the manual for my TT 6.1 chip and it says for alcohol users their is a timing delay after you hit the gas pedal to reduce knock prior to the alky spraying...that instant lean could be where the chip expects to see methanol and really ups the timing?

edit: lol just read my own signature and it says I have a 6.0 chip. Cars been broke down for so long Im not ever sure what I have.

Only difference of between them is the 6.1 can have the adjustable parameters changed using the Powerlogger software rather than the pedal tap dance.

just found the receipt, its a 6.1. The manual has a page of changes for the 6.1 and lists the timing delay.

The chip has nothing to do with the fuel pressure. Pump, filter, lines and fuel pressure regulator need to checked and tested. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a leak in the rubber line connecting the pump to the fuel sender.

Did you see if fuel filter is clogged , I would definitely go 1 step colder on plugs . Too hot imo

The chip has nothing to do with the fuel pressure. Pump, filter, lines and fuel pressure regulator need to checked and tested. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a leak in the rubber line connecting the pump to the fuel sender.
I see what you are saying, timing delay or not...its going lean. Ill start with the filter since I know it hasn't been changed in the 4 years I have had the car.

4yrs , yeah , I'd change that filter And put a new AC delco one on . i change mine every spring . Always check n do the basic things 1st . Then go from there .

Is the boost signal to the fp regulator good? Zip tied?
How much fuel in the tank? Tank vent ok?

Is the boost signal to the fp regulator good? Zip tied?
How much fuel in the tank? Tank vent ok?
signal hose is very tight, not zip tied though. Just filled the tank up 5 minutes before this happened. Good idea on the tank vent...I never hear a hiss when removing the cap but I can loosen it to see if it is causing the issue. Fuel filter is getting replaced either way.

signal hose is very tight, not zip tied though. Just filled the tank up 5 minutes before this happened. Good idea on the tank vent...I never hear a hiss when removing the cap but I can loosen it to see if it is causing the issue. Fuel filter is getting replaced either way.

Charcoal can still on and hooked up?
Or, are the hoses off and plugged? If so, there's no tank vent.
Best to get the basics done, B4 you do more of that 12* KR...You'll be putting on head gaskets, or worse.

Check the return fuel line also. Could be blocked / clogged. That made my fuel pressure drop under boost.

If the return line were blocked/clogged that would cause uncontrollably high fuel pressure.

Fwiw . . Regarding tank venting.
Completed a backyard fuel flow test a while back when replacing the tank. Ran the pump while the tank was out to empty the tank.
There was a very noticiable difference in pump sound and flow when the cap was removed, even with the vent at the hanger wide open. Unfortunately . . . I lost the video of it.

Now, I realize there was no tuel returned to assit with the pressure drop in the tank but it told me quite a bit if you are trying to run the pump close to full flow capacity. . . .

Last edited:
Fwiw . . Regarding tank venting.
Completed a backyard fuel flow test a while back when replacing the tank. Ran the pump while the tank was out to empty the tank.
There was a very noticiable difference in pump sound and flow when the cap was removed, even with the vent at the hanger wide open. Unfortunately . . . I lost the video of it.

Now, I realize there was no tuel returned to assit with the pressure drop in the tank but it told me quite a bit if you are trying to run the pump close to full flow capacity. . . .
I was doing some research on this after you mentioned it and found that autozone usually stocks vented gas caps part # 6817. What are your thoughts on that?

Strange. Almost looks like the vac/boost line blew off the fpr.

Does it show knock if you run it up with no boost?

Rick

I was doing some research on this after you mentioned it and found that autozone usually stocks vented gas caps part # 6817. What are your thoughts on that?
Not sure if I am qualified to give a concrete technical answer as there are too many variables to consider.

You need just enough venting to ensure it does not negaitively impact pump performance/fuel delivery. Venting requirements are really dependant on the setup and operating conditions.

If you crack the cap and it does not show impact on fuel delivery, I would not worry about it at this point and focus on other things. If anything, I would start with an oem cap and verify the check valve direction to the canister . . .

There are systems out there that can regulate tank pressure to 0.5 or less psi. But that is another project I may work on some day. Lol

Strange. Almost looks like the vac/boost line blew off the fpr.

Does it show knock if you run it up with no boost?

Rick
no it doesn't. just changed the fuel filter and it did the same thing. then cracked the cap open with no luck there either.