12 Degrees Knock Retard @ 13# Boost...WTF?

How about some back round. What happened to the old engine? Are you reusing the fpr from the old engine? When was the fuel pump done? Was rubber hose designed for submersion in gas used On the pump? When you did the filter how was the line going into the filter, not kinked? If you pull vacuum on the fpr, does it hold it?

How about some back round. What happened to the old engine? ?
in a nut shell...crank snapped in 3 places. bought the car with a freshly rebuilt motor (he did have receipts proving this) upon tear down looked like either he used a non turbo crank, or the stock one was turned to the point you couldn't see the fillets. Also had a tiny alternator on it from a carb'd 3.8 :rolleyes:...honestly he cut corners everywhere he could it seemed. anywho...im sure I caused plenty of detonation when I first got the car as I had no clue what KR was or how the alky kit worked, etc...after research I put a PL on it and started minding my P's and Q's. Prior to the rebuild I was running 18# boost as a daily driver with no KR.

Are you reusing the fpr from the old engine?
yes.

When was the fuel pump done?
prior to the rebuild. Upgrading the pump was one of the first things I did after getting the car.

Was rubber hose designed for submersion in gas used On the pump? When you did the filter how was the line going into the filter, not kinked? If you pull vacuum on the fpr, does it hold it?
Not sure on the rubber hose to be honest. Its been a while since that was done. The line going into the filter was fine, not kinked. I will have to do a vacuum check on the fpr.

here are some screen shots from today

. . Are you reusing the fpr from the old engine? . . . .If you pull vacuum on the fpr, does it hold it?
Good point Pronto.
Probably an accuf***. Lol

AFR looks a lot better. . . A bit rich but thats always better than lean.

Good point Pronto.
Probably an accuf***. Lol

AFR looks a lot better. . . A bit rich but thats always better than lean.
I was waiting for the OP to say it was an Accuflub.

it is an accufab :oops: had no idea they had such a bad reputation. In my defense it was on the car when I bought it :p

If I am slightly rich and still getting KR would that indicate it not being a fueling issue?

it is an accufab :oops: had no idea they had such a bad reputation. In my defense it was on the car when I bought it :p

If I am slightly rich and still getting KR would that indicate it not being a fueling issue?
Lol. Some units work perfectly fine. Others not so well.

You could have rich KR . . . Although I am not sure that is the case here.
I am no expert but one thing is for certain: There is insufficient octane for the combo/operating parameters.

Ps.
I would personally still be concerned with the fuel spikes.
There are 10000 threads on this and some may suggest turning on the smoothing . . . But imo . . . That just masks the issue. If the car had no KR, fair enough. When it does, nothing can be masked untill resolved.

Check for oil in the tb or turbo.

Lol. Some units work perfectly fine. Others not so well.

You could have rich KR . . . Although I am not sure that is the case here.
I am no expert but one thing is for certain: There is insufficient octane for the combo/operating parameters.
I here ya on the octane, and i dont mind turning on the alky system...i just cant help but feel like I should be able to run 91 octane and not see KR at a measly 8# boost.

I don't want to mask an issue with a ton of methanol and unfortunately my brain is too stupid to know what to do from here :wacky:

Ps.
I would personally still be concerned with the fuel spikes.
There are 10000 threads on this and some may suggest turning on the smoothing . . . But imo . . . That just masks the issue. If the car had no KR, fair enough. When it does, nothing can be masked untill resolved.

Check for oil in the tb or turbo.

will do man I sure appreciate all of your advice.

I here ya on the octane, and i dont mind turning on the alky system...i just cant help but feel like I should be able to run 91 octane and not see KR at a measly 8# boost.

I don't want to mask an issue with a ton of methanol and unfortunately my brain is too stupid to know what to do from here :wacky:
Those statements alone proves you are far from stupid. Keep us posted.

My comparo:
1 vs 2 on the logs.
You lose 6.2psi of fp, but the knok goes down 3.1*, the AF gets fatter, all the while boost is very consistent.
The fpr could well be causing the fp loss. However, that doesn't explain the knok going down by over 3*. B4 the fpr is condemned, I'd drop the tank, and make sure all's well.
What was batt volts during the logging?

Weird!:unsure:

My comparo:
1 vs 2 on the logs.
You lose 6.2psi of fp, but the knok goes down 3.1*, the AF gets fatter, all the while boost is very consistent.
The fpr could well be causing the fp loss. However, that doesn't explain the knok going down by over 3*. B4 the fpr is condemned, I'd drop the tank, and make sure all's well.
What was batt volts during the logging?

Weird!:unsure:
13.3 - 13.4v
I made up my mind yesterday to drop the tank and make sure everything is good.

I've seen those little hoses split so check them closely.

I use a mini air regulator with gauge to test the fpr and pump. Jump the fuel pump. Run the pump and regulator through the paces using the air regulator to simulate boost. Use a battery charger to help with juice. One with at least 10 amps.

Post those last 2 files if you don't mind.

Rick

I use a mini air regulator with gauge to test the fpr and pump. Jump the fuel pump. Run the pump and regulator through the paces using the air regulator to simulate boost. Use a battery charger to help with juice. One with at least 10 amps.

Rick

Same as I have.....:smuggrin:

...Just filled up on 91 octane gas and have the alcohol turned off for now. I have a TT Alky chip...which I understand is burned with the assumption that my kit will be pumping methanol under boost...

This may sound dumb, but with an alky chip and no alky being sprayed, wouldn't that in itself cause the AFR to go lean? The chip is expecting aux fuel (alky) to be added, when in this case it is not.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It starts to spray at 8psi not much is going in at point or 10 for that matter. Again that doesn't explain the fuel pressure hula.

Rick
the first one is with the new filter the second is with a loose cap. Im going to have to think about what you are describing above for a little bit...sounds pretty simple but Im not 100% on what exactly I need to do to set that up.

Attachments

• LogFile.dat
    74.8 KB · Views: 56
  • LogFile2.dat
    186.3 KB · Views: 45
You can use a mityvac tool to pressurize the regulator to measure how the fuel pressure reacts. The same tool can put vacuum to it to see how long it will hold. My accuflub had a bad vacuum leak at the threads to the nipple and the popped valve was leaky. Its possible the diapham is leaking too. The pump has to be physically inspected and also run to watch the flow. You can search for various ways it's been done.