1/8 vs 1/4

1/4 for a couple reasons.
1)you can get a full tune on it to the top of third
2)these cars shine in the 1/4 mile
3)more fun...

Jason

All I have around here is 1/4 mile so I guess I prefer that :biggrin:

But there is one big advantage to 1/8 mile racing, it's so much easier on parts chances are you wont break. Most engine damage is done after half track.

But there is one big advantage to 1/8 mile racing, it's so much easier on parts chances are you wont break. Most engine damage is done after half track.[/
QUOTE]

I don't mean to pick on you but I have heard this used before to get people to go to 1/8 mile. Here is the problem with that statement cars that are geared for the 1/4 mile pull to the end of the track. If you cut the track in half then you will just regear the car to top out in the 1/8 mile. We could run to the 60' mark we would still find a way to get all the performace in 60' as we can. I have seen a lot of 1/8 mile cars break.

Most all the damage I've ever done racing a car was either at the line, or in the first 60' ... Not sure I buy the 1/8 argument saying it's better on the car.

I only like 1/4 - I never could see the point of the 1/8, and driver's races don't intrique me. I go to the track to see fast cars ... It's why pro stock drag racing isn't as much fun to watch as funny car or top fuel IMO.

sverble is right-why stop having fun? I wish there were 1/2 mile tracks.

What I like about 1/8 is that the lanes move faster, as the cars are on the track shorter amount of time. With a 1/4 mile not only is the track longer, so is the shutdown area.. takes longer to move cars. When I go to the 1/8 mile track.. I can get 6 runs. At my 1/4 mile track 3-4 tops.

And its easier on the equipment not running all the way out.

I do enjoy the rush past half track.. dont get me wrong.. but 1/8 mile track will get your track fix hooked up.. just need a car that runs 7.0 or better and you get into the fast car lanes.. no waiting..

Cheers

I do enjoy the rush past half track.. dont get me wrong.. but 1/8 mile track will get your track fix hooked up.. just need a car that runs 7.0 or better and you get into the fast car lanes.. no waiting..

Cheers

You got a point there. I bet your running with some guys with totally no interior, no fender wells, totally trailered and dragstered out. And killing them.
Oh yeah and you can run your A/C on the way home listening to some tunes.
I'm lucky that the closest 1/4 track is about the same as the nearest 1/8. The 1/8 mile tracks around me are always WAY out in the booneys, which kinda sucks to drive on shi**ty roads to get to.

I don't mean to pick on you but I have heard this used before to get people to go to 1/8 mile. Here is the problem with that statement cars that are geared for the 1/4 mile pull to the end of the track. If you cut the track in half then you will just regear the car to top out in the 1/8 mile. We could run to the 60' mark we would still find a way to get all the performace in 60' as we can. I have seen a lot of 1/8 mile cars break.

I understand what your saying and your right to a point, if you gear the car to top out in the 1/8th it will never have the same load placed on it as if it was geared to run the 1/4. Sort of like how you can get away with a little more boost or timing in first gear, because there is less load on the motor. Which is why I said most engine damage(like burnt pistons, blown head gaskets, or the rods/crank let go)happens after half track when the engine and internal parts are under the most stress and load.

I've also seen alot of cars break before half track also, but it's usually driveline failure(like an axle, ring and pinion, driveshaft, or transmission).

I'm not saying it as a rule or that you'll never break in an 1/8th mile race but only from what I've seen and what I think is most likely.

I like pro stock more...we disagree.

Most all the damage I've ever done racing a car was either at the line, or in the first 60' ... Not sure I buy the 1/8 argument saying it's better on the car.

I only like 1/4 - I never could see the point of the 1/8, and driver's races don't intrique me. I go to the track to see fast cars ... It's why pro stock drag racing isn't as much fun to watch as funny car or top fuel IMO.

I was with u until ur last point. The in car camera shots of the prostock races are great, and the majority of the time the cars are door to door down the track. Top Fuel and Funny car has a very small margine of error. Clean passes by both competitors are the exception, not the rule. The big boys are a lil too fast for my liking.