My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

TURBOTIMMER is taking his to the track on sunday. He's going for that 10 sec pass.

If time permits I may take mine also.

I'm still in the process of buying parts. So far, I have everything for the short block (K1 rods, Eagle crank, RJC girdle). The engine is at Lonnie Dier's place right now. I bought one of his new V1's :biggrin: In the next week or so i will be getting a set of TA heads. Other things I have purchased are: A/C delete box, double pumper fuel hanger and few other odds and ends. I am hoping to have everything together by late July or so. A friend of mine is supposed to buy my quad here soon, that'll give me a quick $3K to spend ;) Cann't wait to drive this thing again!!!

JC, let us know how he does!

Well, I didn't get my 10 second pass again today. It was the first day of test and tune. I got to make 2 passes.

1st pass went 11.25 @ 118.56. 60 ft was 1.54. My 30 lb boost gauge was pegged. I could here it detonating through my helmet. I backed off the throttle not long after the 1-2 shift. My scan tool came unplugged, so I couldn't tell what happened, other than the obvious.

2nd pass I went 11.19 @119.36 with a 1.59 60ft. This was at 26-27 lbs of boost. My scan tool recorded 20 degrees of knock retard :eek:

After reading that, I crapped my pants, then bolted on the street tires, and drove home. I drove to the track on pump gas, so I'm thinking I didn't have it all out when I added the race gas. This car definitely has a 10 second pass in it, but it may not be until BG.

you keep that detonation up and you'll not have a motor together for bowling green! why are you getting 20 degrees of knock? what are your 02's during the run and such?

I really think those 009's are not enought to get you into the 10's.

Dam scary with 20 degrees of knock and 30psi of boost! I hope you have a set of headgaskets ready! :eek:

d0n_3d said:
you keep that detonation up and you'll not have a motor together for bowling green! why are you getting 20 degrees of knock? what are your 02's during the run and such?

I think its a combination of too much timing (26 degrees), too much pump gas in with the race gas, and a dinosaur stretch ic. I ordered a new chip with less timing. O2s were .780s. Any idea where the sweet spot is for a TA-61?

TURBOV6 said:
I really think those 009's are not enought to get you into the 10's.

Dam scary with 20 degrees of knock and 30psi of boost! I hope you have a set of headgaskets ready! :eek:

I was wondering how far 009s would go. I was told they were good for about 121mph. As much as I don't want to hurt the original motor in this car, I really want to push for the tens. I don't remember too many people running that quick on a stock converter and 6 009s.

You can all call me a dumba$$ when I blow it up. :biggrin:

TURBOTIMMER said:
I was told they were good for about 121mph. QUOTE]

I hope so :eek:

I really think just spending and extra few hundred bucks on a set of bigger injectors is good insurance.

But then again it's your car. Good luck getting into the 10's with the 009's!

I know this is getting off topic... so I will be brief. It is a vague statment that 009's will go 121 mph..... or that they will go xx.xx ET.....DS logs of a run can provide a better picture. I don't know TurboTimmer's specifics.... but depending on fuel pressure.... and whether or not he is running alky (a supplemental supply of more fuel) .... 009's could possibly run 10's w/o a problem...... but not in all cases. The duty cycle during a run WILL tell the tale wheather it is safe or not..... IMHO if your duty cycles get close to or over 100% ..... you are asking for trouble..... if you are running 85% duty cycle on that 11.2 pass...... the injectors are decently safe.....you just might get some 10's w/o worrying about lack of injector doing it......

I guess what I meant to say was that 009s would good enough for the high tens, and that should put you right around 120-121 mph. But that's a very generic statement. I'm going to try to get to the track 1 more time before bg, but with a set of 55lbers and a modded ecm borrowed from my other car. Probably should have done that in the first place. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I would stick some bigger squirters in there. It's a daunting enough task as it is to get 10's with your set up ( without blowing it up that is ) so don't take a knife to a gunfight ;) Put some hydrants in there :) and give yourself a legit chance

TURBOTIMMER said:
I guess what I meant to say was that 009s would good enough for the high tens, and that should put you right around 120-121 mph. But that's a very generic statement. I'm going to try to get to the track 1 more time before bg, but with a set of 55lbers and a modded ecm borrowed from my other car. Probably should have done that in the first place. :rolleyes:

my car has 009's and it is running 11.56 @118 and they are out of it the direct scan shows over 100% DC. I have a hotwire and walbro and a volt booster. I think that the 009's are good for the 1st 1/8 mile but on the big end they are way lean. I have a 60 series and tuning and data logging. I have a stock bottom end and lightly ported heads a FMIC of my own design and THDP some small odds and ends that is about it.

whistlingT said:
my car has 009's and it is running 11.56 @118 and they are out of it the direct scan shows over 100% DC. I have a hotwire and walbro and a volt booster. I think that the 009's are good for the 1st 1/8 mile but on the big end they are way lean. I have a 60 series and tuning and data logging. I have a stock bottom end and lightly ported heads a FMIC of my own design and THDP some small odds and ends that is about it.

I appreciate the input. My scan tool is way more basic. Probably the reason I'm on the verge of blowing it up. 55lbers are going in this weekend, along with a modded ecm and direct scan.

IM BACK :D

I bought this today! Since my TSM engine is taking sooo long to piece together, I thought I'd try again ;)

Anyways, this '86 engine has 60K miles. The car that it was in still had the stock airbox and the wastegate is not adjustable. Bad thing is (maybe) that it has not been ran for 5 years. I am going to put my valve springs in and maybe put another Cloyes timing chain in it. I also have a few new performance parts to through at it (V1, ATR headers, and a LS1 Translator). Wish me luck!!

Here is a pic of the engine:

Attachments

• 86motor (Medium).jpg
    86motor (Medium).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 333
Here are some other goodies that I have recently purchased...the intercooler is one of Lonnie Dier's new V1's and the other is a nice set of ATR headers I picked up at BG Saturday.

Attachments

• v1headers (Medium).jpg
    v1headers (Medium).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 332
If you dont run 10s now.......give up on buicks!

norbs said:
If you dont run 10s now.......give up on buicks!
I know! The only problem is I sold the PT54 to a friend, I need to buy it back now. How does a stock turbo spool on a 3500 stall 9" :eek: