My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

KevinB

Anyone run 10's with a 54 and unported heads?

My PT54 has gone a 11.4 w/ a 1.5 60' (this was in 95 degree weather). The motor has never had the heads off or the intake. I am hoping for high tens. I have the usual mods (thdp, stretch intercooler, 65 lb injectors, stock MAF ....etc). My tune sees 30 lbs of boost with no knock, 27# timing and no tcc lockup. I am hoping to hit a 10.999 as the weather cools down here. I will have a transbrake now to help me.

BTW..this motor is factory sealed and has over 100K on it.It also has probally over 300 1/4 runs.

My fastest time was with a 3500 stall converter that seemed alot looser than that. My car was shifting at 6100 rpm! I now have a 3100 and hope for it to shift at 5200 or so. Hopefully I will come closer to this number Friday.

Any suggestions on tune or setup?

Wish me luck!

What kind of mph are you seeing? The trans brk will help...
Pulling the R's down will also help.

My best mph was 118.9. The mph with the 11.4 run was 116. I think I will come close but I may have to go with a different intercooler...the one I have is nothing more than 2 stock ones welded together. I also think A LS1 MAF would help.

I now have a non-l/u. My old converter was a lockup and seemed only to bring my mph up 1 or 2 mph.

Kevin,

Good luck and please keep us up to date.

Best regards,

John Wilde said:
Kevin,

Good luck and please keep us up to date.

Best regards,

Will do John. I am going to the track Friday with a few different things in mind.

Thanks,
Kevin

I hope you can do it, but with 27º timing and 30lbs of boost sounds like your getting close to maxing it out. 5 tenths at that time is harder to pick up without going into the motor. But it has been done and I hoipe you can get it :)

KevinB said:

My PT54 has gone a 11.4 w/ a 1.5 60' (this was in 95 degree weather). The motor has never had the heads off or the intake. I am hoping for high tens. I have the usual mods (thdp, stretch intercooler, 65 lb injectors, stock MAF ....etc). My tune sees 30 lbs of boost with no knock, 27# timing and no tcc lockup. I am hoping to hit a 10.999 as the weather cools down here. I will have a transbrake now to help me.

BTW..this motor is factory sealed and has over 100K on it.It also has probally over 300 1/4 runs.

My fastest time was with a 3500 stall converter that seemed alot looser than that. My car was shifting at 6100 rpm! I now have a 3100 and hope for it to shift at 5200 or so. Hopefully I will come closer to this number Friday.

Any suggestions on tune or setup?

Wish me luck!

Years ago I went 10.96 @ 122 with a factory stock unopened motor and a 54.

You'll need good air, 30+ psi and a low 1.5 60ft, your set-up is almost the same except I had a V-2.

Lean is mean but don't let it knock...... ;)

First thing I would do is go to a frontmount (Cottons or PTE). Should be worth .2 sec over your stock-stretch (maybe .3). Second, the stock maf has to be an inlet restriction at your level. Either get rid of it entirely with an me-r or the new translator pro (or a FAST or ... :)), or at least go to a translator and 3.5" ls1 maf. Or, cut the 3" frontmount uppipe a few inches below the level of the top of the radiator and put a 3" lt1 maf there (that's what I did) or the 3.5" maf (needs adaptor hoses which cost more $$). Blowing through the maf reduces the inlet restriction and you will see slightly faster spoolup, and you shoud get a small boost in turbo efficiency as well which at 30 psi has to help. [Or put the maf right by the throttle body but then you have to extend the wiring harness and I was concerned about turbulence from the throttle blade disrupting flow through the maf at part throttle so I wanted to stay further away.] Make absolutely sure your air filter and hoses aren't collapsing under suction, and step up to 4" pipe/hose and filter outlet if you can. If you really want to do it with a PT54, consider going to the bigger .82 A/R exhaust housing for some more top end. Finally, of course, get the car (and driver :)) as light as possible. Good luck.

I am in the exact same boat as you.......I am going with alky I will let you know.

Thanks for all the support! I would like to get the new MAFTPRO but am still unsure. I think my next mod is going to be a nice front mount. I will keep all you posted Saturday what I do. I have already hit a 1.5 in the 60', I think the transbreak will maybe get me a 1.4. I am using a 26" tall slick, a 28" might also help. I think I have a few things I still can do to make it ;)

KevinB said:

Those are amazing numbers for a factory long block.
I just had second thoughts about freshening my 100k factory long block,
maybe I'll just turbo it and see where it gets me. :rolleyes:

Good luck at the track...

I'm running 10s with an unopened motor. From my experience, the nonlock up converter will hurt you, along with the 26" tires. Stock cam is pretty much done by 5k. With an unlocked converter and 26" tires, you will be out of Rs well before the traps. I'm locking my converter and run 28 x 10.5 MTs, crossing the line at 5200. Your converter may be very efficient on the top end, so I would try to borrow some 28"s.

WHAT 10s with stock unopened heads ?????? i have ported and polished champions cast ,carillo crank rods ,good cam ,big valves ,big turbo .and i have only broke into 10s once .then got kicked off track no cage .list your set up cuz i want to see it . i must be doing something way wrong . i have never seen stock heads go 10s .please post set up .got pics??? but i think im running out of injector...

speedfreakv6 said:
WHAT 10s with stock unopened heads ?????? i have ported and polished champions cast ,carillo crank rods ,good cam ,big valves ,big turbo .and i have only broke into 10s once .then got kicked off track no cage .list your set up cuz i want to see it . i must be doing something way wrong . i have never seen stock heads go 10s .please post set up .got pics??? but i think im running out of injector...

Tim Stockwell would have to disagree I am sure. I remember years back he went at least in the neighborhood of 10.70's on a stock long block... If I recall..... I am positive that there are many other board members (both past and present) that have gone 10's on a stock long block..... heck.... there are some folks that have gone 11's on the stock turbo.... IMHO that is probably at least if not more impressive as 10's on a stock long block to me....

10's

My gn has been 7.01 in the eighth mile with the mods below
54 turbo,atr f/m mild ported headsdone by me,208 cam, and non l/u convt with quick time pros with 1.60 sixty foot time spinning. p/s with a bad head gasket seeping.

well then somebody needs to take a look at my car .ive seen stock bottom end cars run 10s but not with stock heads .i mean i cant say i dont believe it cuz these cars will fly .just wondering whats wrong with mine ???? i should easily be in 10s with what i have done .low 11s all day maybe need to try more aggresive tune .any help ??? looks like i could have saved some money on heads and block .my goal was 10s only did it once .what suspension upgrades do you need for stock motor to run 10s??maybe thats my prob ? all the tracks around here make you have cage and all kinds of other stuff to run 10s.

Those guys with stock longblocks running 10s are at 30+lbs of boost. Along with low 1.5 60' times. Plus they are doing other little things.