My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Boost was 26-27 psi. The temp was in the high 80's. This run was on 9/11 at Quaker City Raceway in Youngstown Ohio. My scanner will not work, so I will type the stats.

Also stock rearend with 1 air bag, boxed lowers and polybushings in the lowers. I know I have a better 60' in the car.

60' 1.61
330 4.70
1\8 7.33
mph 93.0
1000 9.57
1\4 11.59
mph 115.1

Stangbanger and Dusty B. have said it all. You alchy guys can crank it up as well on PUMP gas. In mid to high 90 degree heat with " wet blanket" humidity my car saw 31-32lbs in third (first is useless, second maybe on the street) with 23/21 degrees, 0 KR,770's O2mvs, on straight 93 Exxon. I use DS for diagnostics. Mike Licht's products and Razor's kit have made this car totally user friendly in terms of tuning. Boost is the only adjustment I do under the hood,the rest is done from inside the car. Stock axles are the only thing that keeps me from going to the track and getting that elusive 7.0 1/8th or 10.99 1/4. I just dont want to risk it. There is a large difference between 27psi and 31+. Be sure to close those plug gaps down. :)

Here is my complete mod list for my car:

unopened stock longblock 100K+ heads and intake have never been off

cloyes true roller timing chain

comp cams v-springs

Autolite 23's

rjc plate

65 lb injectors

intercooler and a half (stock cores)

3" thdp

stock maf (from Napa)

Tin Man cold air

ATR pass side header w/ATR crossover pipe

A/C delete pulley

Joe Lub race chip with 27 degrees timing

PT 54

30lbs boost, zero to 1 degree knock

lock up 3500 stall PATS (old...now have a custom 9" 3100, not tested yet)

trans brake (not tested yet)

built 200R4

stock carrier, 3.42

Moser axles

Metco rear suspension w/Metco sway bar

no front sway bar

Hotchkis springs

KYB shocks

235/60/15 front tires

26X10.5X15 ET slicks

turbo blue fuel 112

tuned with Direct Scan

car is a ttop car, wieghs 3700 w/o me. I wiegh around 180

Best run 11.4 @116 1.58 60'
I will try to dig up the whole slip later
I left with around 10 lbs using the E-brake
95# outside
torque converter not locked up
car shifted at 6000 rpm :eek:

I think the transbrake, tighter stall, 28" tires, front runners and cooler weather will put me close to my goal. Hopefully the car will now shift at 5100 or so with the tighter converter. The old PATS seemed like it was stalling more or less at 4000 rpm. When I would lock it up, it would cause knock. When I turned the boost down to eliminate the knock, the car would see no gain if not lose ET, MPH would sometimes go up. Like I said before, I have tons of runs on this car, so I have learned how to launch good, plus I have become pretty good at tuning the car using the stock ECM.

Dusty Bradford said:
I'd back off the timing to no more than 23/21 and crank the boost up. 33 # boost should feel a lot better. Make sure your chip does pull a couple degrees of timing out in 3rd gear. IMO 27 deg is way too much for 3rd gear and 30+ boost.
My chip does not take any boost/timing out. I run 27 degrees timing and 30lbs all the way down the track. However, this is the reason I could never lock up my converter. It would knock on the 27/30 combo. I am now wondering what kind of time difference I would have had if my chip took timing out then locking up the converter. Too late now, the new converter is now in :)

My car went 11.38 @ 117mph with a stock longblock and PTE52 turbo @ 24-25psi. A 1.53 60' helped that one out. Another day, the car was on par to go faster (I'm sure it was gonna be an 11.2x) but I broke a stock axle on the starting line :eek:

A guy I know in Washington, Mike Price, went 10.8's on an unopened longblock with a 54 turbo. Same deal as the other guys, he had to have the boost North of 30 psi to do it. He lightened up the car so that helps as well.

Damn guys im learning more in 2 days than i have in years .i do not have direct scan only scanmanster.here are times from a 11.40s pass 60'1.63 330-4.50 1/8 7.14 ,mph 98 1000' 9.42 1/4 11.42 mph 120 .like i said i have broke 10s 1 time only .but havent gotten back . stupid question but how do you use e-brake ?thats far too lean over .i gues tonite im gonna richen up fuel and open up boost going to try 30 psi ill turn methanol all the way up hopefully no knock ,well see .if dont rain might go to track get some slips to send to you guys.i wish one of you guys where near michigan .could come help me i want 10s bad.thanks for all this input much appreciated keep it coming want to learn as much as poss THANKS GUYS SPEEDFREAK

Might also want to consider a wide band O2 like the Innovate LM-1 or one of their other models. At the cliff edge of tuning where y'all are trying to live I'd sure want more than the stock narrow band O2 readings. Taffy and Mike Licht put them on sale regularly.

Speed, I used a piece of string tied to the e-brake handle. Leaded gas will hurt the stock o2. Sometimes mine last long and sometimes it may only last a tank or two.

Good luck tonight. Post your results here.

Guess i will chime in here too.

Anyone here read the GS-XTRA? Anyone see the turbo regal with the heads and intake never off running 10.9 with a ta-49 turbo?

Anyone read Ed Brewers threads here running 11.31 with a stock turbo,heads NEVER off,133K full weight car? 25 or 26psi of boost on meth

Anyone read about Neil Werner running 11.08@ 121 and change with a 51, powerstroke frontmount, heads never off, lower intake never ported, full weight car? 25 psi of boost on racegas

I will tell you this, when i had my TE44 on my car i was running 31-32 PSI of boost 18° of timing with a raceweight of 3780, running 11.19 at 120ish with a 1.58 sixty foot.
Bolted the PTE-54 and went slower :( car would only go 11.4s at 116.

I dont know why it was slowing down with the larger turbo, i had a locked convertor, 28 inch slicks, and race gas. Nothing else changed other than turbo.

My opinion is this:

A small combo such as the 49,44,51 and 52 turbos tuned correctly with a lockup convertor,28 inch tall tires and a excellent 60 foot with stock heads seems to be the ticket. As long as you have the supporting mods to make it run lower 11s high 10s....
If some are getting away with a ta49 running high 10s, then i wonder what that same car would run with a 61 or 62?

What i dont get is the dead ringers running mid 11s on a stock turbo, and other cars running mid 12s with upgraded turbos and heads.

If your car doesnt run low 12s with the stock turbo, then dont upgrade to a 44 and expect it to run low 11s....
Everyone needs to get the car properly tuned, engine, transmission, and rear suspension before adding extensive mods that could slow them down.

Guess thats why i am running TFS this year with a stock turbo and IC, just want the car to run mid 11s with a 1.45-1.55 sixty foot before i add a 44 to it and see what the car has.

P.S.
Porting the lower intake will get you 2 tenths and 1 mph

Good luck

One would think the transbrake and slicks would help the times a bit along with a Reds 108 race chip tune.

I wouldn't expect others to duplicate fast Eddies times so easily since many are daily driver setups that are raced with very few changes at the track.

Pump gas and alky. folks that is.

Many run drag radials or DOT's and not full racing slicks, stock location intercoolers, and most setups don't have transbrakes with a stock turbo.

Just my .02 on why some folks may be slower than others.

Good luck in your quest for the 10's. :)

salvageV6 said:
One would think the transbrake and slicks would help the times a bit along with a Reds 108 race chip tune.

I wouldn't expect others to duplicate fast Eddies times so easily since many are daily driver setups that are raced with very few changes at the track.

Pump gas and alky. folks that is.

Many run drag radials or DOT's and not full racing slicks, stock location intercoolers, and most setups don't have transbrakes with a stock turbo.

Just my .02 on why some folks may be slower than others.

Good luck in your quest for the 10's. :)

1. Well, ive had a few beers as of now, so i might not be reading this correctly.
I went those times with a reds 107 chip and Ed Brewer went his times with Erics meth chip on PUMP GAS.
2. Ed daily drove his car for 6 years or more till it got painted, still drives his car to work 45 miles round trip when need be, and 60 miles round trip to the track.
His car has a bone stock IC but has a dutt neck installed.
3. We should agree that ET is directly related to our 60 foots, Ed has his car in the low 1.50s with a trans break and a RJC valve with slicks.

4. We are all having fun racing our cars and pushing the limits with our combos, me ,you and everyone reading this post are hear to learn how to make our cars run faster with our own combos.

i currently own over 4 cars with different combinations, some the same, some not the same...
I work on alot of turbo buicks, same goal, run it like it was my car and see how fast i can get it.
BW

Buick had their sh!t figured out.....

After owning 3 of these friggen TR's, I can tell you that the closer to the stock combo your keep the car, the better. My T is running 12.0's @ 111mph with very few mods and reasonable boost, in the 21 -22psi range. I love driving and racing this car. :cool: :D

It is not rocket science. I never got there with my GN because I wasn't patient enough to tune the car. It went 12.50's on DR's and that was it I wanted more. So along came the TA49 and bluetops. Went 11.7's. Still wanted more.... along came the 52 and MSD 50's....11.38....still wanted more.... so decided to build a motor rather than keep pushing my stocker and went 11 teens. Now I wish I kept the stock motor and pushed it a little further. My T will go 11's on the stock longblock and stock turbo, without a doubt.

You just have to listen to the guys that have been there, done that. Good luck.

I agree with everyone excepting telling people they should duplicate someones elses times without using all their parts and the same combo. ;)

I would prefer a bigger turbo to a transbrake myself.
Easy and a safer mod. to install comparatively, it's rare to see one in a mostly stock car.

I am pretty sure Fast Eddie said his combo was a 108 race chip he couldn't drive daily on the street with to get his fast times.

I remember asking him about it and he was very open with his combo. :)

Unless I got confused here. :p

I think everyone should drive their cars more. :cool:

I also agree there's lots of ways to go fast with these cars. :smile:

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
What i dont get is the dead ringers running mid 11s on a stock turbo, and other cars running mid 12s with upgraded turbos and heads.

If your car doesnt run low 12s with the stock turbo, then dont upgrade to a 44 and expect it to run low 11s....
I've been saying this for years so I agree 100%. I think the difference from those that can run hard with "little" parts is that they spend more time "figeting" with the existing things to try to make the car faster and they also are not affraid to "race it like you hate it". It's so easy and FUN these days to purchase a part instead of make the existing parts work better so people don't spend time thinking and trying different ideas.
I agree that the harder you abuse the parts the better these cars run. You NEED a good 60' with the stock motor b/c the cam is a very low RPM unit and it will have tons of torque so use this idea to launch it harder. Launch it with as much boost as you can until the tires spin then figure out how to get it to hook at that boost level, don't back off on boost. Boost is HORSEPOWER.
When I posted 4-5 years ago that I launch off the foot brake at 15-16 psi with the stock brakes and stock converter people thought I was BS'n but now other believe. I saw a friend over the weekend and we quickly laughed at is 34k mile, stock GN went 11.87 with 60' of 1.53 foot braking and launching it at 20psi.. The reason why it was done is he was not affraid to abuse any part of it.

IMO, From reading these posts over all these years one thing that seems to come out is that the stock motor LOVES boost from a "size smaller" turbo. A TE/TA44 will get you in the low 11's with a good amount of boost so if you are not near that ET already DONT STEP UP to a bigger one. I also think that Scanmasters, Dscan, etc are GREAT tuning tools and are necessary BUT just b/c they "show" you the "correct" number doesn't mean that your car is running to it best potential. Sometimes it takes good ol' trial and error at the track and ignoring the "numbers" that these devices are displaying.

Good Luck!
KS :cool:

You went 11.4@118mph, and i looked at a few of my time slips that were right on target with yours, But when i started going into the 10.9 range, the mph was at least 124-125.
I dont think your combo has another 6 or 7 mph in it, especially if you are already pushing close to 30psi.

Sorry, Not trying to be negative, i just dont think it will be done by changing tire size and a chip.

Good luck on your quest for 10's, and please keep us posted!!!
Richie

hey guys thanks for all the input. now to try and tune it better .i didnt make it to the track due to weather but plan on it this week .do any of you guys live near michigan ???? i would pay to get car tuned right .to get into the 10s .i did back timing off some and have boost at 30 psi .kind of scared to open it up all the way .dont have money to redo engine again .i know fast freddie ,used to be in mich turbo club .i talked to him the other day and he is into mustangs now .maybe ill drive down to ohio and see if he can help tune .cant belive he is a mustang guy now ????? maybe didnt forget how to tune these little 6s.after all that 5.0 power lol .just kidding freddie .i did set fuel press to 45 psi line off 02 reading a little rich at idle but blm 128 .turned methanol all the way up .just trying to grow enough balls to get in her.

Hey kevin b .when do you hit the e-brake ??? cuz not much time when staging .do you use e-brake then creep up to line building rs and boost .do you use foot brake to get up to staging lights or what .i guess what im trying to find out is when do you ingage e-brake ??? or will car move with e-brake on ?? still have to use foot brake ??? i know this sounds stupid but have never done it before .thanks for the help gotta get 1.5 60foot or bust.

I set the e-brake after I prestage. Build about 5 psi, then bump in to stage w/ the footbrake. While holding footbrake, build boost to whatever you want to launch at. When you are ready to launch, floor the gas first, then pop the e-brake and dump the footbrake simultaneously. That's the way I do it.

We went 11.45 @ 118.97 this past weekend with a stock motor, Te-61, 009's, single Xp-Plus, 20-row Fairpark, 3"THDP, 0-pump Vigilante, 24-25 psi boost, 26x11.5 ET Streets, stock MAF.

We're gonna add some 28" tires and more fuel here soon. Hopefully see a 10.99 @ the Reynolds event.

Scott, I'll be calling you this week.

K.