Found an 87 GN that has been sitting for 10+ years in storage..

Jezus12

Hi there, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a long time. I've wanted a GN since I was 16 and had a 78 malibu and never was able to find or get one at the right price until possibly now..

I know of an 87 GN coming up for sale that was sitting for 5-6 years before the current owner got it, he then got it running but shortly after pulled the motor because of a slight knock after the first drive. It was a 1 owner car before this guy and kept in great shape and I believe really low kms (I'm in Canada). Well he never did put the motor back in, it is torn down ready for a rebuild and everything is there but he can't afford to take it farther.

The car has been in a heated shop this whole time, the interior is mint, could probably use paint as some is chipping but that isn't the end of the world, frame is good and everything looks fine and untouched.

Now question is what would something like that be worth? I know it's hard to judge with no pictures but I have a rough estimate of what he wants for it but with the motor being out and in pieces and the car sitting for a long time I'm not sure what other issues might come up. (I am prepared to spend a bit of money getting it back to where it should be). Is it worth the $7-8k US range? I believe he wants around $10-12k Canadian as is.

Then the other question would be if I do get it, is it smarter to rebuild and keep it stock? I don't normally keep any of my cars stock and I since I'd be building the motor I could just build it up a bit for more fun because we all know how that is.

Any feedback is welcomed on what to look for, I just think this might be my chance to at least acquire one and get started. Thanks!

His ask is fair, your buy price is better.

What I have noticed is that tastefully applied mods pay dividends. Meaning that if you want to change it a bit you can still come out ahead. I have watched cars with Alky, lowered suspension (on good parts), aggressive exhaust, and nice updated wheels (mostly GNX style) go for record money. Of course the stock low-mile cars do well, but it seems as you can go with well done upgrades & still be looking good.

I think most want the interior nice & clean & uncluttered. Don't mod the radio, or add excessive gauge packs. The GNX style dash insert goes over well. Tint the glass, get the stance right. Stock is sweet, but there is a market for both.

IMG_7428.JPEG

Now question is what would something like that be worth?
Anywhere between $0 and $125K.

You need eyes on the prize.

Then the other question would be if I do get it, is it smarter to rebuild and keep it stock? I don't normally keep any of my cars stock and I since I'd be building the motor I could just build it up a bit for more fun because we all know how that is.

Keeping it stock is the economical path and the most likely to preserve value. Going after performance snowballs in cost very quickly and you will not recoup that money in the value of the car.

Don't kid yourself. If it is apart, it ain't ALL there. Not saying it isn't a good deal but these vehicles are finicky. And without experience the learning curve can be pretty steep. I say, if you have the will, there is a way.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Don't kid yourself. If it is apart, it ain't ALL there. Not saying it isn't a good deal but these vehicles are finicky. And without experience the learning curve can be pretty steep. I say, if you have the will, there is a way.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Thanks, you are probably 100% correct haha. There are some boxes of just engine parts... but other than the engine it's all there and good. I still don't know if I'm going through with this but I am leaning on the just go for it side.

I know they are finicky and I do not have the experience with these motors but there really is only one way to get that. I'm also sure I would be adding a lot of new parts to it since it needs a rebuild anyway, but putting back together someone else's mess is never fun or easy so it would definitely be a big challenge and that is the tough part on this one.

I don't see GN's around here very often but when there are car shows or some track days a bunch show up. Is there anyone on here that is seeing this that is in the Lower mainland/Vancouver B.C area?

Larry was racing his 109 powered Vega out there, but he hasn't posted on any of the boards in several years. Exchange rate, shipping charges and several Buick vendors not willing to ship up here anymore...better think what you're about to do.

I do love me some excitement. I just want you to know upfront there will be struggles and expense.

My current project is also a some assembly required little deal I picked up.

Here it is where we picked it up. The frame was zip tied to the wall and there were parts and such.

Let us know when you get stumped. Plenty of experience at this site.
Good Luck!

Larry was racing his 109 powered Vega out there, but he hasn't posted on any of the boards in several years. Exchange rate, shipping charges and several Buick vendors not willing to ship up here anymore...better think what you're about to do.
My house is less than 5 minutes from the border and have a po box down there so shipping anything shouldn't be a problem, I pick up things across the border for my other car all the time. But yes I am still on the fence and trying to decide if this is what I want to spend money on for the next year haha.

I do love me some excitement. I just want you to know upfront there will be struggles and expense.

My current project is also a some assembly required little deal I picked up.

Here it is where we picked it up. The frame was zip tied to the wall and there were parts and such.

Let us know when you get stumped. Plenty of experience at this site.
Good Luck!
Thanks man, yeah this one is in a LOT better shape than that for sure but I hear what you are all saying. It's a big decision haha

Price sounds pretty fair if the car is rust free, or darn close. Get familiar with the engine and turbo Buick-only parts and make sure that stuff is there, or at least available. The general G Body stuff shouldn't be hard to come by. Carefully inventory what parts are in the boxes so you know what's there and what's missing. Most places I've lived you don't see GN's all the time. Then you find out later there's ten of them within five miles of you. I thought 59 El Camino's were "rare". Turns out there's three or four not far from my house. I bought two of them in a package deal. I was in a rush so I didn't fully inventory all the trim. I bet I'm missing a couple pieces and I hate top think of what they will cost me......

Take the time to look through the stuff.....

As far as mods, I kept all of my stock parts when I modded something. Except the idler arm that wore out after 5,000 miles. I won't cut it up for a cage. Pretty much everything is reversible.