A/C Blowing Opposite Way(?)

Metacom

Have an interesting situation with my A/C and after doing some research I’m stuck…little background:

Last summer I recharged the car for the first time in awhile, system blew cold although not strong through the vents for a couple of weeks and then blew warm. Determined that the condenser had some leaks. This year I replaced the condenser, evaporator, dryer snd blower motor and charged the A/C.

After the A/C has been charged, I noticed hardly any air coming out of the vents although the compressor and blower motor were running. After some time I found that the air was blowing strong out where the two pipes from the evaporator are in the heater box.

I also found that the A/C door behind the glove box was not opening and closing on its own but was able to free that. The door now opens when A/C comes on but I cannot feel any air coming through that door.

Does anyone have an idea what it could possibly be? Though the issue was simple with the A/C door but looks like that wasn’t the case.

TIA

its possible you have the wrong blower, they make them clockwise and counter clockwise rotation
the squirrel cages are also specific for air flow and height
yours may be motor spinning the wrong direction,
compare it to the one you removed

the C60 hvac needs vacuum to operate the doors , theres a reservoir ball under driver fender (86-87) and thers a three port check valve behind the driverside valve cover that can fail to hold , theres black plastic lines under the hood on passenger side that can crack and rubber hoses on driverside that can split preventing the low vacuum the system needs to operate the doors to get air diverted to the vent

Last edited:
its possible you have the wrong blower, they make them clockwise and counter clockwise rotation
the squirrel cages are also specific for air flow and height
yours may be motor spinning the wrong direction,
compare it to the one you removed

the C60 hvac needs vacuum to operate the doors , theres a reservoir ball under driver fender (86-87) and thers a three port check valve behind the driverside valve cover that can fail to hold , theres black plastic lines under the hood on passenger side that can crack and rubber hoses on driverside that can split preventing the low vacuum the system needs to operate the doors to get air diverted to the vent
The blower motor was my initial thought. I put in the old one I pulled off (possibly original) and the air direction did not change.

As far as the vacuum lines, I investigated that as I thought that was the reason for the door behind the dash not opening. I followed the diagram on the car and traced the rubber hose from the EGR valve area to where is splits to a hard lines on the passenger side and goes under the heater box. I didn’t notice and cracks or splits on the hoses and with the door now opening and closing that shouldn’t be the issue or could there be more functionality to the line?

With DC power it will run one way, and if you flip the wires and it will run the other way. It's called reversing polarity. Your wires have likely been crossed somewhere.

Edit: I just looked at the wiring, I'm pretty sure you cannot reverse polarity the way it is wired.

Last edited: