My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Those guys with stock longblocks running 10s are at 30+lbs of boost

DING DING........We have a winner.

You won't do go that fast with 22 psi. I know stangbanger well and can tell you it's as stock as he says it is. Did you see his sig? That's right guys, 10.60's at BG of all places. Listen to him, he's spent the last few years perfecting the stock combo. Keep the revs under 5200-5300 with a top quality converter and max out that 35# boost gauge and you can do it too. It's the things like fuel system, ignition system and valvesprings you have to pay attention to or you'll never make it.

Heads only get more air into the cylinder at the same constant boost level. If you only run 24 # boost you could have saved your money and ran 28 # with the same result. Stangbanger could put heads on his car and not see any gain, but the boost gauge might get back into the 32-33 range :)

30psi stock heads ??? what :eek: that is insane .i want a list of the bolt ons .i run 26-28 psi boost with methanol 0 knock maybe i should open up boost !! to 30 psi see what she does.i need a tuner .

what fuel sys does stangbangr run ??? what size injectors?? i wish i could have talked to him before i spent all this money lol .i would be pi$$ed if i pulled up next to him at the track and got spanked by a stocker .i wish mine was that fast :biggrin: i guess i need help with my set up.

List of bolt on's?? All in his sig. He don't have much to list other than the usual. Valvesprings, 55# injectors, double pumper, TA-61, 17 row i/c, good tranny with 9/11 converter. Tune, Tune, Tune

If your car runs clean with no popping or anything. Keep an eye on the o2's and work the boost on up. Keep it on the rich side with a chip with timing in the 21 degree range in 1st and 2nd then dropping back to 19 in 3rd. I wouldn't go higher than 23/21. As long as your turbo is big enough you should continue picking up as the boost goes up. If it doesn't then something is off. Turbo, valvesprings, rpm's too high, converter inefficient....etc

Some race gas with the meth would not be a bad idea to keep from knock. 60 foot times will also have to be no worse than low 1.5's so leaving on a good bit of boost is a must. It's all in the details.

Dusty is right. You've got to run big boost. I usually run 34-35 psi. Just don't detonate.....ANY!

Only reason I haven't been into my motor is that it's too much fun dogging the heads/cam guys! :D

i have most everything he has and then alot more same turbo same cooler i do run 27# timing with methanol and 110 octane .running turbotweak chip .the only thing he has that i dont is bigger injectors im only running 42 1/2 green stripes .too small .maybe thats my problem :rolleyes: i gues ill order some injectors and retune .anyother info that may help will be appreciated ,should i back off on timing??????

I'd back off the timing to no more than 23/21 and crank the boost up. 33 # boost should feel a lot better. Make sure your chip does pull a couple degrees of timing out in 3rd gear. IMO 27 deg is way too much for 3rd gear and 30+ boost.

HEY STANGBANGER i would like to know what the hell im doing wrong .ok here is my list 4.1 block carillo crank and rods, steel girdle, ta 61 redone by turbonetics, 42 1/2 inj 3" terry houston to dump 17 rowstretch cooler champion cast heads ported polished bgc ported intake ,accufab 70 mm t.b hemco 70 mm race plenum,poston 110 cam ,poston headers and cross over ,j.w 3200 stall converter ,j.e pistons ,art carr trans ,373 posi,2 walbro 255s fuel pumps billet adj regulator,turbotweak chip ,b&m pro ratchet shifter ,intercooler sprayer c02 ,bfg drag radials ,160-190 manley valves,smc alky kit dual nozzle ,thats all i can think of any help would be great ,running 26-28 psi no knock 02 780-800 .

Your gear could be a problem if you are running 26" tires. The one guy I know that ran a high 10 with a stock motor ran 28" tires with stock 3.42 gear. I know you have a cam in your car, but I think the stock gear in our cars is good for most applications.

What are your 60' times? That makes a big difference for ETs.

Even with Alky, the 42.5s are probably close to their limits at 11.0's.

IMO I think you should upgrade turbos too. A 61 is pretty small for what you have.

A complete timeslip would help people to see what's going on. What's your 60' 330' 1/8 et and mph and 1/4 et and mph.

You can make up the difference of the 42's with the meth so you shouldn't need bigger injectors. It's just more complicated getting the tune right.

Those 3.73's aren't helping either.

What size radials?

A 61 should be big enough for 10.60's and 70's and 124-125 mph with heads and 32 # boost.

I agree the 61 is enough for 10.60 or so at 30lbs., Thought it might be better to go bigger and run less boost. Plus he has a 4.1 not a 3.8. Not sure if that turbo would be efficient at 30lbs filling those cylinders.

But the turbo is not a must have to achieve your goals.

Post a time slip.

Dusty Bradford said:
List of bolt on's?? All in his sig. He don't have much to list other than the usual. Valvesprings, 55# injectors, double pumper, TA-61, 17 row i/c, good tranny with 9/11 converter. Tune, Tune, Tune

Dusty, has Red begun selling the Raptor MAF to the general public?

Dusty, has Red begun selling the Raptor MAF to the general public?

I doubt it. Mike Licht and Bob Bailey always helped me. I never cared much for the Raptor set-up and think the translator is a much better product. The idle and driveability of the translator blows away the raptor. The raptor works for stangbanger but there is a good reason it was never released, Red wouldn't have enough time to keep those things going if he had turned out a mass amount of them. Red has come up with some great products but that MAF is not one of them.

60 foot in the low 1.60 range ,launch at 8-10 psi .little spin .turbo pulls harder than used to since turbonetics had it and also spools faster .you think i should put 3.42 gear back in and run it ??? i figured it was just too small of injectors .will 42 1/2 handle 30+psi????? i can try to run boost up till i see knock .and see if makes diff .hey guys i really appreciate the input .i have heard that the motortron 60 psi injectors work very well with stock ecu .should i try those ??? last pass i made ran 1/8 at 7.13 at 93 mph seemed ok to me .

I'd recommend getting 28 x 10.5 slicks and putting the 3.42s back in. You've got to launch it like you hate it, and DRs ain't gonna cut it without some megabuck suspension. I've got poly bushings, boxed stock control arms, and air bags. I launch it off the E brake at around 15 psi. 60's in the high 1.4s.

Get some bigger injectors. If I had it to do over again, I would go straight to 72s and be done.

Your 1/8 mph is low, for some reason. Should be around 100. Do you have Direct Scan? If so, graph the O2 volts and see if you're rich down low.

Also, listen to what Dusty is telling you. He knows a ton about these cars, plus he's actually WON TSS........I'm always runner up! ;)

ok tires are 28x10 drag radials ,will 72 inj work with stock ecu ??? i was told no 60 is biggest ,i also have ssm upper lower control arms ,polyurathane bushings and air bags .but have never used e-brake to launch please elaborate cuz im only holding 8-10 psi brakes fading .also that time slip mph slow because had fuel pump cutting out in 2nd gear.replaced pump havent had back to track yet ill go home and get my 11.40s time slips and post them.like i said thanks and keep it coming .i want my car to fly like those stockers lol .

Also, listen to what Dusty is telling you. He knows a ton about these cars, plus he's actually WON TSS........I'm always runner up

Ha, you been runner up how many times in TSS? Competing against better equipped cars with your little stocker and running consistent 10.70's and .80's is something I'd be ashamed of ;) Even with heads, cam and a 66mm at 33 psi boost I only averaged 10.60's. That says something about how well your set-up works together.

speedfreakv6: The most important time in your run is that first 60 feet. If your off here then the rest will never come around. You need 60' times no worse than low 1.50's, and that will take some practice. It's hard to beat the 3.42's. These cars leave hard with the boost cranked up so the 3.73 will make the spinning worse when combined with the 200-r4 1st gear. Several guys have went to 3.23 and picked up e.t. Unless you can figure out how to get those bfg's to hook the car you need some 28x10.5 slicks. You may need to tune the suspension with air bags or swaybar. Bottom line is 60 foot is very important.

I used 72's and loved them. 72's will work with stock ecu but the drivers have to be modded by turbobob. We did try the 60's and the high z 55's on a friend's car. The 55's worked better than the 60's for us. If you really want to keep the meth injection then the 42's will be fine. You don't need a bigger injector with that dual nozzle set-up, that will add plenty of fuel. The thing is you will have to learn to tune that set-up to keep a good a/f ratio where it needs to be all the way down the track. Chips are easier but you can work with what you have. The a/f has to be right from the time you leave the line. If it's too rich it will kill your 60 foot. Just a couple weeks ago I was working on a car and we were able to pick up the 60 foot up from 1.62 to a 1.53 on M/T radials by leaning out 1st and 2nd gear with a translator set-up. It was way rich out of the hole. If your alky is coming in too soon and adding to much fuel then it will kill your e.t.

For your boost level and that 60' time, 7 teens isn't terrible but the mph is way off like Scott said. Hopefully it was your fuel pump issue causing the problems. If your mph is still off now then the car is way rich with the alky or your valvesprings are shot. You need a good 100#-110# valvespring to run higher boost. And 2 years of racing will wear them out, I changed mine every winter. Direct scan will also tell you if your converter is working right by graphing the rpm.

You see here that a scan tool like direct scan and knowing what to look for makes all the difference in the world.

Maybe this can get you started. It takes time, like Scott and myself can tell you, to get things sorted out and working together. The car we are working on now has GN-1 heads, with a front mount and T-70 and has yet to run better than 6.80's with 28 psi. That's not good at all but we have a new Art Carr converter in it now so we hope it comes around. Thanks to direct scan it was obvious the old $300 converter that worked great with the old combo sucks with the new set-up and couldn't hold the power.

I was once in your shoes. All my friends said turn up the boost, lock the converter and tune it. Well I started to listen and I 've been working with the car and perfecting my driving. And my 3700# sled just went 11.59 last week. I'm hoping for some 11.40's here soon. Here is my combo.

unopened 69k motor. New valve springs, PT 51 turbo, 009's, LS1 MAF and translator, extender chip, Cas V4, 3" dp, precision 3200, 28" slicks

JC Turbo said:
I was once in your shoes. All my friends said turn up the boost, lock the converter and tune it. Well I started to listen and I 've been working with the car and perfecting my driving. And my 3700# sled just went 11.59 last week. I'm hoping for some 11.40's here soon. Here is my combo.

unopened 69k motor. New valve springs, PT 51 turbo, 009's, LS1 MAF and translator, extender chip, Cas V4, 3" dp, precision 3200, 28" slicks

what was your boost at on this run an what was the outside temp please post your time slip we almost have the same setup

thank you