My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

couple ? i just went yesterday, first time out on the newer combo. ran consistant 12.06's and a couple of 12.01's .
combo is gt61 turbo 21-24 lbs boost, 21* timing on translator 6 -8 % rich(about 70 degrees last night) 28x9 slicks , hotchkis rear suspension and air bags 13 psi left 6 on right.
best 60 ft was 1.61 on transbrake
I have my shift light at 5000 and it seems rt. off the line im at 5k so i pull second and a few sec later im pulling 3rd and the shift light stays on the rest of the run finishing off at 52-5300. Does these times seem good.
Also im running 65lbs inj, and trans plus with extender chip.
Seemed to be running lean all night but only a couple degrees of detonation. 110 leaded from my citgo gas station.

I would tighten the convertor.
Seems you are above 5000 rpm all the way down the track, is that where you make most power with that camshaft.
BW

The weird thing is on the smaller bfg drag radials last year i didnt have that issue. Its a 3200 coan converter.

if i remeber correctly, last year kevin was pulling through 6200 rpm on a stock motor with a 3200 converter and a pt54 at 30+ psi.

jetmech said:
The weird thing is on the smaller bfg drag radials last year i didnt have that issue. Its a 3200 coan converter.

Yeah, but now your making more power and the convertor is flashing higher because it has some passes on it right?

If your car still has the stock cam and your running over 5,000 rpm all the way down the track from the starting line all the way to the end of the track, i think its out of its power band and running over the converter.

If your car is only running 12.1 at 111 something is wrong with the combo, i think the convertor is too loose.
Just my opinion, i would tighten the convertor, what size tire are you running?

A buddy of mine here in town went from a orange strip 12 inch lockup convertor to a ***'* 10 inch single disk lockup convertor. Both were rated at 3000 rpm.
The orange strip off the t-brake would flash to 3500 at 15psi, the 10 inch ***'* would flash to 5000 at 12 psi and never drop down below 5000 with the stock camshaft...........this is what happened.

Orange crush convertor 1.50 sixty foots 11.40s 116
***'* convertor 1.65 sixty foots 12.0s at 108-109

Launch boost was the same, so the orange strip went back in and weather permitting, we will see if the cars sixty foots come back down where they should be this friday.

Every car is different, but food for thought.

BW

running a 28x9 slick , I have a trans brake. whats a good way to see what the converter stalls at. Its a Coan at 3200

jetmech said:
running a 28x9 slick , I have a trans brake. whats a good way to see what the converter stalls at. Its a Coan at 3200

So what does it stall to at 15psi?

BW

i was told to find the stall, bring the car to 1# of boost on a foot brake and that is the stall speed of the converter

tom robison said:
i was told to find the stall, bring the car to 1# of boost on a foot brake and that is the stall speed of the converter

IMHO.... you ask 10 people... you will likely get 10 different answers..... the bottom line is stall is proportional to your cars torque output..... you make more torque.... the stall will be higher...... too high... like quick6 said.... you will be out of your power range... and likely slow down......

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
A buddy of mine here in town went from a orange strip 12 inch lockup convertor to a ***'* 10 inch single disk lockup convertor. Both were rated at 3000 rpm.
The orange strip off the t-brake would flash to 3500 at 15psi, the 10 inch ***'* would flash to 5000 at 12 psi and never drop down below 5000 with the stock camshaft...........this is what happened.

Orange crush convertor 1.50 sixty foots 11.40s 116
***'* convertor 1.65 sixty foots 12.0s at 108-109

Launch boost was the same, so the orange strip went back in and weather permitting, we will see if the cars sixty foots come back down where they should be this friday.

Every car is different, but food for thought.

BW

I wonder who that was???? :biggrin:

Let us know how he makes out....... :)

Good to talk with you too, ive been out since i talked with you last.
Went and watch Fast and Furious Tokyo Hot arse chicks in that movie.
It was good, not too out of the extreeme, but LOVED the ending if you have seen the others...
I give it three thumbs up :biggrin:

BW

Stock Engine

stock heads,cam,turbo and intercooler 12.32 @ 107.72 mph and 1.65 60 ft

has reds 108 chip, walbro 340 and hot wire,adj regulator, TH 3" downpipe, 009 inj., KN filter and 235/60/15 MT drag radials.

jetmech said:
couple ? i just went yesterday, first time out on the newer combo. ran consistant 12.06's and a couple of 12.01's .
combo is gt61 turbo 21-24 lbs boost, 21* timing on translator 6 -8 % rich(about 70 degrees last night) 28x9 slicks , hotchkis rear suspension and air bags 13 psi left 6 on right.
best 60 ft was 1.61 on transbrake
I have my shift light at 5000 and it seems rt. off the line im at 5k so i pull second and a few sec later im pulling 3rd and the shift light stays on the rest of the run finishing off at 52-5300. Does these times seem good.
Also im running 65lbs inj, and trans plus with extender chip.
Seemed to be running lean all night but only a couple degrees of detonation. 110 leaded from my citgo gas station.

The times seem just a little slow for the boost you are running, but close. My Art Carr 9" converter unlocked is very similar and stays at or above 5000 for most of the run but finishes off at 5700 or so. With the same 60ft but at 27lbs boost I ran 11.59@112mph. At 25lbs boost I ran 11.64 but had a 1.56 60ft. At 23-24lbs boost I'd probably still run 11.8-11.9 I think.

I'm going to try and put in a good multi disc vigilante converter sometime this year and see what happens. If it pulls as good on the bottom end I think I could run 11.2 at close to 120mph. I've already got a few runs in the 114mph range and the converter is slipping big time.

murphster: What octane fuel are you running. I think that is my downfall running the citgo 110.. I may need more octane. It looks like 23-24lbs at 21* timing is the limit. I still need to check my true stall speed.

I just talked to coan about checking stall speed. Put my trans in third gear(manual th350) from an idle roll stomp throttle and see how high the tach go's. A play back tach helps but just try and watch what rpm the tach go's to.He said it sounds like my stall is way to high if my shift light(5k) is on the entire run. It even comes on in the burn out box in second gear.