My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Im running 93 octane with alky. As long as your not knocking the 110 should be fine with the low timing you have. Just by looking at your stall speed I doubt thats going to tell you that you need a new converter. Im sure you are going to go above 5000rpm on your run, thats not the problem. What you need to determine is how tight your converter is... how much rpm drop there is on the shifts and how much its slipping on the top end?

What you need is a Directscan or similar recording so you can watch the rpms throughout the run. Its just too much guesswork without seeing an rpm recording. Download Directscan from http://www.chuengineering.com/ and I can send you some files of my runs with a tight converter vs a loose converter. I don't know who sells Directscan right now but http://www.aggressiveauto.com/ does on their website.

A somewhat tight 3200-3300 stall converter is probably what you want. A lockup unit is preferred for a stock cam because it will keep the rpms down and more in the stock cam powerband (low 5000s). Even 28" tires won't help keep the rpms down if the converter is too loose. Ask me how I know..... :)

Also, watch your rpms in the burnout box. All you need to do is to heat them up good. Once the tires break loose, I usually just watch the mph and keep it at 50-60mph or so. Less mph and the MT DRs will start sticking. No sense going more mph if I don't need it. Some people put it in 2nd gear so that the torque stays high and prevents it form shifting into 3rd. I'm afraid I'll forget to put it back so I just leave it in drive.

Your times aren't bad with the car and combo. But now you're are going to need more information to get the tune really dialed in. EGT or a wideband O2 is probably something you should have at this point also.

My trans is a th350. The converter is supposed to be a 3200 stall. When i do my burn out it jumps rt. to 5000 then i shift to 2nd and it stays there. I do have a laptop but i need to buy direct scan. I am going to do the 3rd gear roll out and see what the tach jumps to. Hope i have the chance tommorrow night.. thanks for your help. I will download direct scan from your link. when you get a chance show me a file. I may need help reading it though

I finally had a chance to check my converter per coan's instructions. Put my manual th350 in 3rd gear and stomp the throttle from an idle roll. Tach jumped right to 4700 rpm w/ the 26" bfg drags on the car. I'll call coan tommorrow and let them know. :frown:

jetmech said:
I finally had a chance to check my converter per coan's instructions. Put my manual th350 in 3rd gear and stomp the throttle from an idle roll. Tach jumped right to 4700 rpm w/ the 26" bfg drags on the car. I'll call coan tommorrow and let them know. :frown:
Sounds a little loose :eek:

I finnally got the new stock unopened engine in my car :) It has good compression and seems like it is ready to take some abuse. I just need another PT54 :p This time I have the new TPro and a V1 intercooler. Hoping for the ten second pass!

Its just a loose convertor, get it tightened up about 900 rpms or more.

Since you have a stock cam, you need the power from 3600 to 5000.

But what do i know. ;)

BW

Mine liked......

a 3400 stall from Pat's Lockup TQ Converter......
Good Luck
Steve Chambers

artrenee10 said:
a 3400 stall from Pat's Lockup TQ Converter......
Good Luck
Steve Chambers
Maybe I had a defective one....but I had no luck with a PATS lockup when my car started going low 11's. I broke the stator twice and fried a new clutch pretty quick.

I'm back :biggrin:

This time I have another stock unopened engine. I have since added these pieces; TE45a, V1, and MAFTPro (w/WB02, no MAF, and boost control.) Also installed some v-springs in the heads. I just finished installing the TE45.

Friday I hope to hit the track. All I have planned is some shake down passes on pump gas, low boost and street tires. Next week I will go with the race gas, slicks and lotsa boost :biggrin:

The other engine I'm building is coming along good. A set of TA heads should be here anyday. Then they will be off to the head porter. :wink:

You gonna break this one also trying to get into the 10s? I can't afford any more gifts for you! So becareful

norbs said:
You gonna break this one also trying to get into the 10s? I can't afford any more gifts for you! So becareful
I hope it doesn't break :) I think the WBO2 will help out alot. When the new engine gets done....this one is getting pulled ASAP ;)

Wow.........

Maybe I had a defective one....but I had no luck with a PATS lockup when my car started going low 11's. I broke the stator twice and fried a new clutch pretty quick.

I'd like to be able to say that one day!!! :D
Steve Chambers

artrenee10 said:

I'd like to be able to say that one day!!! :D
Steve Chambers

It gives you good practice taking the trans out ;)

coan torque converter issue

Well i received a call from my trans guy today and he got the call from Coan that they totally missed the setup on my torque conv. It was supposed to be 3200 stall and it was in the upper 4000 rpm range. With the test they had me perform it stalled at 4700. Pretty much explains as to why my shift light set a 5k goes on a second or two after launch. Restall for free. usually its in the 100 dollar range. Looking at getting it back late next week or early the following week. Should be 11's then. :) :cool:

Damn it!! My new junk yard motor wasn't up to the task Made 2 passses then it welcomed me with a "knock, knock, knock!!!" I was just getting to know my new MAFTPro system. Started with a low 14 second pass, then followed it up with a 12.4 with very low boost and timing, a 11.3:1 a/f ratio and almost no launch off the line. High boost and more timing would have gotten my a high ten second pass with out a doubt later on. Oh well, I guess it's back to waiting on my engine guy to get my built high dollar engine done.

It was worth the try ;)

This time it was not my fault!! Like I said, a/f ratios in the low 11's, zero knock, low boost etc.. This motor sat for 6 years or so. I guess it just didn't want to make any power :mad:

YI_work said:
Well I started my quest with my PT-54 last weekend. Not even close to you Kevin but it was my first time out with it. I was hoping for 115mph but ended up with 113.5. My et was 11.96@113 w/1.694 60 ft.
Thats with 26 psi 0k and my O2 was 667. Car likes the mid to high 600 for O@. I'm leaving with 5psi boost.

My combo
PT-54
V4 intercooler
50# injectors
Adjustable FP regulator
Walbro 340 hotwired
UMI adjustable uppers and solid lowers (stock pinion angle)
Big mouth cold air
TT chip with Torco 110
ATR dp
ATR 2.5 dual exhaust
Comp Eng. rear shocks set at 50/50
Stock springs and no air bags
Stock sway bars front and rear
Centerline Tel-Stars with skinnies up front and Hoosier QTP 27X10.5 rear
2004r with A/C 9.5 L/U and shift kit with 7004r pick up

Everything else is stock un opened. Car has 45,000 on it. T-top car. Don't know the weight of it yet. I've been reading and re-reading this thread trying to pick up bit and pieces to go faster. I know I can pick up et with better rrear sway bar and lose the front. I also have some CE 90/10s for it. I want to pick up some mph. 113 is to low for that combo. I need to intall my turbo link so that I can record my runs and see my shift pointes and what not. Scanmaster is good for the street but not for the track IMO. I've been gathering parts to do a 4.1 that I'd like to get done before I hurt the stock motor. But thats going to have to wait till at least next summer.

Wish me luck I'm going to need it :D

Mike

Update: I'm done, I hurt the motor. Think it spun a bearing :( I put a new o2 sensor in and an ATR rear sway bar. It was a hot (low90's) and humid (84%) day. the car slowed down. Best it went was 12.20@109.5. 60ft. sucked too. Think the best was 1.75. I bought another moto and trans but still not sure what which I'm going to build. The 4.1 or 3.8. Either way it will be done up nice. I just didn't want to hurt the stock motor :( Kevin you still looking for a PT54 :biggrin:

With today's converter tech this could be done with under 30psi. 28-30psi with 93/alky no problem. I have one of these turbos here if anyone wants to try running 10's on a stock long block. If you don't have a good converter or one that can be locked at wot forget it. You will need to achieve a 60' in the low 1.50's or better and have a good handle on the tune.