ZEX Spark Plugs, any good????

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Flipping through Power&Performance magazine and saw an ad for these ZEX Spark plugs, they have a copper core and are supposed to be 3 times better than platinum plugs. Wondering if any of you have tried these or heard anything about them, I dont have a turbo, just a 350 crate motor that I liike to have the timing up on, but even w/ 93octane I get some detonation (this is at like 19degrees advanced, got it back down to 14 and it's good) anyways let me know what ya think about these plugs............ :confused:

I have not heard anything bad about them. I run a non-turbo 3800II with a boat load of timing advance, I use NGK TR-6 plugs, one heat range colder than stock (TR-55) and have been very happy. And yes, if you push the timing that high, you will probably need an octane booster or blend 93 with a 1/2 gallon race fuel. -Tim

Yedi said:
Flipping through Power&Performance magazine and saw an ad for these ZEX Spark plugs, they have a copper core and are supposed to be 3 times better than platinum plugs. Wondering if any of you have tried these or heard anything about them, I dont have a turbo, just a 350 crate motor that I liike to have the timing up on, but even w/ 93octane I get some detonation (this is at like 19degrees advanced, got it back down to 14 and it's good) anyways let me know what ya think about these plugs............ :confused:

Let's see 3x total junk would be? :)

If a plug makes a difference, then it's usually because it's making up for some other problem. The recommended AC for one of their crate engines should be right. If from another builder then stick with what they recommend, or possibly a slightly cooler plug. 5d timing is a HUGE SPREAD.

The newer motors don't demand the amount of advance as the older engines. For decades 36-38d total timing was considered about right, and nowadays (depending on combination), as low as 22 is fine (for an engine made to make HP on 93) for more then a crate motor.

If you don't have a CD, I'd suggest you try one, and if you have one, then I'd look also look at the fuel part of the tune. Too much fuel can drive you into detonation.