Your story about coincidences

in early 2009 we started looking to buy a GN. I was in touch with some MAGNA guys thru the forum, and along the way they suggested going to "Kirban's Open House" to get more familiar with the cars and maybe see some for sale. My wife and I drove up in our d.d. Cobalt (about 65 miles), and enjoyed the day (I've been to every Spring Open House there since).
Driving up that first year, everything started looking familiar. Turns out that Kirban's is only 3 miles from the old farm where my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins had lived for 35+ years (corner of Creek Rd and Rolling Hills Rd). We took a ride to see what the new owners had changed since my Aunt and Uncle have departed... I have many a fond memory of times spend there with the family growing up. Spending time there with 2 creeks, a pond, barns, fields, woods, and hills was a nice change from our city abode.

Last edited:
Here is another story on coincidences actually this one is turbo regal related.

The year was around 2001 as the seller had just purchased a 2001 audi S4 twin turbo 6 speed to replace his one owner 1986 black T-Type with tan interior. Lived in Georgia. We worked out a deal as he was going on vacation in SC. The timing was perfect as the BMW Club was having their annual meet at the BMW plant in SC. We worked out a deal to meet in the parking lot of the BMW factory to make the deal. I drove down with Pete Serio the original window rattle guy. (At the time I had a mint 1995 M3 with the luxury package super nice car it had our prototype ram air kit on it).

Probably the only Turbo Buick sold at the BMW factory!.....Fast forward I put the car up for sale and I get a buyer who is a mechanic in Philadelphia. He first buys my book.....one day during his lunch at work he is reading my book.....his boss sees the name Kirban knowing that is not a popular name he inquired where does Kirban live?

Turns out his boss....was in the process of buying my parents home where I grew up and his mechanic ended up buying the black 1986 T-Type....

true story....

talk about timing and concidences......

On a side not the seller from Georgia let me drive his new S4 at the BMW plant.....a year later I would buy one to tinker with.....

We have a car show called cruise night the 1st Thursday during the summer months in the small city in which I live. So I'm down there one night without my 87 GN, and I see a bone stock super clean 87 GN. The guys talking to somebody so I leave him be, as I took a slow walk around the car. I happen to notice the expiry date on his license plate was October 9th. So the other dude leaves and I asked him Is this your car? Yes he replied. I said wow nice car, where are you from cuz I've never seen another one within 120 miles? He named the small town about an hour away. I said I've got the same car! He said really?? I said yes, but do you want to know what's even more strange? WE HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY!!! He looked at me like I was crazy. I said June 10th. His perplexed look continued. I said that's your birthday right? He said No it's not, smirking. I said, well whoever owns this car's birthday is June 10th. He looked down at the ground and said, well it's actually my Aunt's car... (Our license plates expire 90 days after our dates of birth)

I've enjoyed reading these stories, thanks Dennis for starting this interesting thread. I initially didn't have any extraordinary experiences to share, but last week I experienced a coincidence worth telling.

Last Thursday Michelle and I flew to Phoenix and had to change planes in Atlanta.

Hartsfield Jackson Airport, as its called, is the world's busiest airport. In 2015 it serviced over 100 million passenger just in that one year alone.

Our in bound plane landed in terminal B and our outbound left from terminal A. To get from terminal to terminal we had to take the escalator down to the lower level. When we got to the bottom of the escalator we almost decided to walk rather than take the train, but we waited the short wait for the next train. When it arrived I could see that the train car that we were in front of was pretty full so I suggested we move to the next car but Michelle disagreed and wanted to take that car. Keep in mind we only had one terminal to go to.

The doors opened, enough passengers got off and left plenty of room for us to stand near the door. The doors close, I grab onto a handle and the train starts to move. I then hear this voice ask 'John?' I look over and see my sister!

She had flown in from Bethesda and was on her way to baggage claim.

Several coincidences/series of events had to align in order for us to see each other in the world's busiest airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow great stories as they continue: The older you are on earth the more chances of coincidences can occur in your life. Here is another one from my past.

As most readers know I been in the automotive "game" since getting out of the 3 year stint in the Army. First with towing and GTOs then progressing on a retail level to Turbo Regals. For well over 20 years we ran the towing business and GTO business and Turbo Business out of our old house on sugarbottom road. Every newsletter catalog phone number on the tow trucks all had a 215-348-XXXX phone number.

So you can imagine how many times that number was published......When we moved to our new house and got a warehouse we got all new phone numbers and of course the internet draws most of the traffic.

About 2-3 years back my wife was checking out at a nearby clothing store using her credit card......the cashier noticed the name Kirban which if you ever checked on the internet is a scarce name.....she said did you by any chance have a towing business or a car business of some sort and a phone number 215-348-XXXX my wife said yes....she then said she had gotten that number and almost within a few months had to request a new number because of all the wrong calls she was getting.

true story......I got a GNX story next

Back around the year 2000 I sold my TTA to a guy locally and never saw the car again. I always wondered what happened to the car and found it strange I have never seen it around. I found out on this forum that the car was taken apart to restore and never put back together. Fast forward the spring of 2015, I am out "tuning" my GN and stop at a local gas station. I see this lady staring at me as I enter the gas station. When I come back outside she is lurking around my car. I'm thinking oh boy here we go. She strikes up a conversation and tells me how her ex husband was really into TRs etc. She takes off her long sleeve shirt to show me her turbo 6 tattoo. I'm thinking man these people are in to TRs way more than me. As it turns out her ex husband was the one that purchased my TTA sixteen years ago.... He sold the car to one of the members on here in pieces. I'm not sure why he took it apart, it was in great shape when I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my GNX story of coincidences:

It was the early 1990s....I purchased all the remaining GNX jackets and unclaimed GNX books from Molly. (Wish I still had them I could retire). I gave my one sister a GNX jacket she lived with her husband and kids in Montrose PA. Montrose is in the northeast part of the state mostly a poor area.

One day she is walking her kids to the bus stop wearing the GNX jacket. The bus driver sees her wearing the jacket and can't contain his excitement...asking how did you get a GNX jack they are so rare and you had to have a GNX etc and so on. He tells her he has a Grand National.

My sister then tells him that I am her brother......and gave it to her. He of course knew who I was.....

True Story........

denniskirban@yahoo.com

keep the stories coming....great reading material....