Your Opinion on Best TSM Turbo?

turbonatr

More Cubes!
Curious to see what most of you gents think is the best TSM turbo. Let's hear your opinions.

John is talking about the PTE-71 turbo. This turbo flat out makes more power than a regular 70. The PTE 71 is not currently legal for TSM, but looks like it will be next year.

A regular 70 turbo is plenty to compete TSM. After all thats what the top 5 guys are using right now,either P or Q Trims.Im very happy with my John Craig LT 70 "GT-Q".

Thanks for the info, Louie. One quick question. I read the TSM rules, but i'm still not certain if an exhaust system is mandatory. Do you need to run a full exhaust or is an open downpipe ok?

Originally posted by turbonatr
Thanks for the info, Louie. One quick question. I read the TSM rules, but i'm still not certain if an exhaust system is mandatory. Do you need to run a full exhaust or is an open downpipe ok?

Per TSM rules:
· Any single or dual exhaust system allowed. Must muffle and exit in stock location (3.5" max size).

Hope that helps....

BTW- what turbo were u using to run the above numbers?

I was running a Q trim Turbonetics T70 with a tiny .58a/r turbine housing at 28psi. When Job and I tuned the car we were curious to see if the car would make more power at higher boost levels so we went ahead and turned it up 1psi at a time. The car responded VERY well to the increase in boost, so we settled on a 33psi max. I never ran it that high at the track, though. 28psi is as high as I went. Job feels the car would be good for another 3-5 tenths (traction permitting) at 33psi. This was also foot braking a 2004R on a 28x9" tire.

I think the car would be competitive in TSM with a Q trim 3 bolt 70, and a transbraked TH400. The car is currently turbo and transless so now is the time to set it up for TSM.

Get yourself a TSM70 (its legal for next seasons racing) and a 400 with a break. You should definitely be able to shave a few tenths from your et's. Good luck.

Originally posted by Wht87T
Get yourself a TSM70 (its legal for next seasons racing) and a 400 with a break. You should definitely be able to shave a few tenths from your et's. Good luck.

The TSM70 sounds sweet. My only worry is it being considered an unfair advantage for whatever reason (like if it makes a butt-load more power than a regular 70) and it gets the boot after next season. I'd hate to spend the money on a turbo and then have it be illegal after one season. Granted, i'm probably worrying for nothing, but as much as I have been working on it, money still doesn't grow on trees. Speaking of $$$, anyone know what the going price for a TSM70 is?

PTE or Lim Eng GTQ 71 is what you will see next year, and what you already seen David Bamford run at the nats this year. Will be legal for next year. many combos alredy beeing built around them. Make sure you have equal fire power. good luck see you at the Nats.

The largest turbo we allow this year is a <71.5mm compressor wheeled turbo in a non-ported housing. There is a new billet compressor wheel on the market that meaures 71mm. As such the wheel is legal.

The ported-shroud housings be allowed next year. These housings were not readily available from our normal TR distribution channels until the Wednesday of the GS Nats. As such, they were not allowed in TSM in 2003.

The exhaust wheel has no real restrictions other than it must fit in a 3-bolt turbine housing and have a AR of no more than .85 Several poeple have found that the new GT turbine wheel with its radical blade angles, greatly aids in spooling and top end.