You guys ever take your car on long road trips?

pkschul

When/if I ever get my 86 GN back on the road I'd like to take it to my annual fishing trip in upstate NY next Summer. Round trip over about 7 days I figure it would be about 1,500 miles. I'd love to do it, but I know I'd be nervous as hell. I'll have to park it at a campground where I'll be out boating on the lake for several hours at a time for 5 days. I'm sure it will see some rain at some point but I'd be more nervous about it getting stolen. I'll be with friends, so I suppose they can box it in to prevent an easy grab, but still. Other concerns are breakdowns. Ugh! What would you do?

Do it, get a boot for it, block it in, disable the pump ecm, etc

Drive the hell out of it! I drove my old 85 cross country a handful of times and loved it. (well, other than the spring in my worn out seat poking me in my ass cheek.) I was nervous because it was parked in the hotel parking lot, but I always parked it as close as possible, disconnected the ECM wire, turned the wheel all the way to one side so they couldn't tow it out easily, and I always had the collar lock on it.

Enjoy the car man! Also, I would imagine the car being at a lake/park area it might be safer than a city hotel parking lot or similar area.

I drove my 87 from Nick's in Phoenix to Denver. Over the mountains and through the woods. Road trips are always fun (and an adventure).

When/if I ever get my 86 GN back on the road I'd like to take it to my annual fishing trip in upstate NY next Summer. Round trip over about 7 days I figure it would be about 1,500 miles. I'd love to do it, but I know I'd be nervous as hell. I'll have to park it at a campground where I'll be out boating on the lake for several hours at a time for 5 days. I'm sure it will see some rain at some point but I'd be more nervous about it getting stolen. I'll be with friends, so I suppose they can box it in to prevent an easy grab, but still. Other concerns are breakdowns. Ugh! What would you do?

The car can handle the long road trips easily .... provided it's mechanically sound.
If however you're that nervous about leaving it alone in the wilds,don't bring it with you.
Better safe than sorry.

I drove mine from Westfield ma to bowling green and back- 2000+ miles! before id embark on a long trip Id go over the car and make sure there was nothing waiting to happen ( old fuel pump #1 worry) and I carry a huge tool box and equipment. I was not so much concerned with the weather, but theft was a huge concern so I installed a hidden kill switch to complement the antitheft alarm, used a steel clamshell type column lock, parked near as possible to my hotel room and slept with one eye open. If a pro thief wants your car, I'm sorry to say its gone no matter what but most thefts are punk car thieves and several layers of theft deterrence works wonders. I drive mine and do my best to safeguard it but Ill be damned if fear of car thieves is going to keep me from driving my toys. If I could go this year Id drive to bowling Green in a minute in the GN. it was one of the most fun and memorable weeks of my life. GO FOR IT!

I could be wrong but don't think there's too many car thieves at remote camp grounds.

I have made the HRPT a few times with no problems, doesn't mean I don't worry about the car at night sitting in hotel parking lots. But like everyone has said disconnect the ecm, a fuel shut off is good too. A collar for the column is good as well.

leave it home someone knows youre on vaca theyll take it. point is if some9n3 wants it bad enough theyll get take it. also its like life if its ure time its ure time lol. being smart is a big part of it. i say drive it enjoy it and be smart with it.

I've done BG twice and raced the last time in 2012. 1500 miles total that trip with numerous hard 1/4 mile runs. Changed my tires every day at the strip and went to party every night on my street tires. Do it! It's insured right? It can be taken from home or while you're out. Just don't leave the keys in it asking for trouble. There are numerous hot cars out there these days, so the list we are on gets longer with more choice every day.

Anyone who steals one clearly doesn't know what they are getting themelves into!

I'll be putting 3k on mine here in about a week...... see the FL to CA. thread......

I have done the entire Power Tour five times and put over 4k miles on the Buick one year. Never gone without an issue though. Have a collar lock and several other disablers.

What good is it if you can't drive it? I finally got my trans situation under control and started driving it to work. I do park it behind a fence for piece of mind. I have a carguard and a couple other non visible deterants. One of the guys even asked me if I was gonna fix up that GnX(it's a we4 but I just let it go).

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Longhauled Power Tour last year, about 3200 miles round trip in 8 days. We didn't take it easy either! Never had a problem along the way but had a leaky power master pump right after I got home. Couple other GNs along the way had brake issues. I say go for it if you want!

i worry about driving it to church on sunday and leaving it in the parking lot,but once im in it cruising down the road i forget forget about it.my longest was 3 hours each way,but well worth it.

I drive mine all over,hrs at a time,but I don't let the car out of my site.your call but these things aren't so easy to replace

I have the same concerns about leaving the car at hotels. Also tired of paying hotel rates. So I'm thinking about buying a 13 foot trailer to stay in. I was looking at one that has a bed, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Does anybody tow with their GN's?

I have long hauled a few power tours in my 84 GN. They are about 3,000 mi or more round trip. Do what you can to protect it. You can't keep it safe from everything and still enjoy it. Unless you only want to look at it. Alarm it, disable it, don't advertise where it will be. Good luck on your trip