Seeking advice on new SUV

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Looking to purchase a new mid-size to small SUV type of vehicle. Primarily her car, main usage would be daily commuter of 40 to 50 miles a day. Must be able to navigate forest roads & desert dirt roads, plus the occasional road trip. We typically keep our vehicles for 15 to 20+ years. I perform basic maintenance such as oil changes & filters. Interested in models that require the least amount of trips to the dealer or mechanic. I’ve typically purchased American vehicles, but did own a Toyota truck for a while. It was nice, but underpowered (3.0 V6) for work.

We have been looking at the Subaru Forester, Outback & possibly the Crosstrek. I’ve recently read several reports/complaints about the CVT transmission failing, excessive engine oil consumption & head gasket problems that have made these vehicles look much less appealing.

We live at 5K elevation, have many steep grades, over 100 degrees in summer & some ice in the winter. Thinking along the lines of front wheel drive or AWD with a solid reliable automatic transmission & an engine in the +/- 200HP range.

Thank you.

We've got a Forester (30k mi) and a RAV4 (85k mi). Both have been great so far. Forester was surprisingly good in bad weather over the winters, especially in slushy snow and ice. May end up getting another RAV4 when it's time to replace this one, it's nice in the city when parking in a crowded area.

test drove a crosstrek...stay away...
I've grown somewhat fond of the KIA sorrento....my old lady has one....not bad at all

My wife likes her Hyundai Palisade. It's been good for the road trips we have been on so far.

Recently test drove a Mazda CX-5. I was surprised at how far Mazda has progressed.

Also test drove a Rav4. Not bad. I don't like the front end appearance though. Looks like a pissed off stormtrooper.

If it were me.... Search up up a nice 2 door blazer 99-04, rare as most were rode hard and put away wet but saw one on bat several months ago they're out there if u enjoy the hunt, old school cool & simple if u stay on top of em, wich I know isn't a problem judging by your calling u out thread

1999_chevrolet_blazer_IMG_3689-6.jpg

Recently test drove a Mazda CX-5. I was surprised at how far Mazda has progressed.

Also test drove a Rav4. Not bad. I don't like the front end appearance though. Looks like a pissed off stormtrooper.

Toyota and Mazda have been partnering up for a while which has drastically improved their quality.

Still dull as dishwater.

Exactly. remember the day when you could look at any car or truck and know immediately what it was?
Today everything just about looks the same unless getting into the BIG buck units.
Personally, an old 70s K-Blazer would be at the top of my list.

Exactly. remember the day when you could look at any car or truck and know immediately what it was?
Today everything just about looks the same unless getting into the BIG buck units.
Personally, an old 70s K-Blazer would be at the top of my list.
Ya man, be cool to order up a car/truck like a pizza again!

If it were me.... Search up up a nice 2 door blazer 99-04, rare as most were rode hard and put away wet but saw one on bat several months ago they're out there if u enjoy the hunt, old school cool & simple if u stay on top of em, wich I know isn't a problem judging by your calling u out thread
Drove a '98 GMC Jimmy for several months back then. I liked it.

We need a trustworthy modern daily for the Li'l Woman. I drive the older stuff.

Just got my wife a new 4Runner. No fwd or cvt transmission. The newest one I own is a 91 mustang

My '12 runner is the best vehicle I have ever owned.... just hit 156k, not one issue yet