Xylene vs. Tolulene

timothydog

Simple question:

Which do you guys prefer: Xylene or Tolulene? and why?

I hear Xylene has a higher octane rating.
What do you all say?

I'm getting ready to go to the track on Wednesday and I think I'm gonna mix some higher octane brew for my 100 race chip.

Discuss.
Tim

xylene is 117 octane and tolulene is 114 octane if your tank is about empty i would put race gas in there if you can get some i would put 5 gallons if its about empty if not put 8 to 10 gallons in there BUT race gas is leaded so it will burn your o2 sensor up but if you do burn it up put a new one in thanks Rob

Homebrews usually equate to about 99 octane.
Usually use one part xylene/toulene to 3 parts pump gas (94). Toss in a couple OZs of marvel mystery oil and you have 12 gallons (9 gal. of 94 to 3 gal. of xylene/toulene) of 100 octane.
I don't know anyone that mixes higher ratios of xylene/toulene. Maybe someone can chime in here.
But to answer you question...I think it's a personal preference. Toulene will give you say a 98 octane reading while xylene will give you a 99-100 when mixed as illustrated above.

Originally posted by Boston Boy
9 gal. of 94 to 3 gal. of xylene/toulene

Thats pretty much it, Only difference is that I can only find 93 octane down here and I mix with Xylene. I don't mess with Toulene (it's only 114 octane, xylene is 117)

I've been able to get 21psi with 0-1* of KR.

Stuff works great, just wish the 5 gallon tanks that I buy would be a bit cheaper.

Drop it in and turn up the Booooooooosssstttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRR!!!

What MOST folks do is mix 1 gallon Xylene to 3 gallons of 103VP Unleaded, it equals about 110 Octane "UNLEADED"!!! Cheaper than those $30.00 Delco 02 Sensors :)

What I MEANT is that 1 fresh Delco o2 lasts until about 5 galons of LEADED race gas goes through it!!! At ~30.00 a pop!!

Tim:

You will have to post your times after you are done. Your car looks like it is similar in set you to mine. I am interested in seeing what you run.

Are you headed to Cordova with Jay Jackson?

I would love to join you guys buy my car is all torn apart and getting ready to go to the body shop!

Take care,

Joel

Joel... you can always tag along! Dave's car (from Clinton) looks alot like yours so you wouldn't miss yours too much! ;)

Tim... TOLD YOU... shut up and get some Xylene! :p Either get a few gallons at $8 per from Menard's or a 5 gallon pail of it from Sherwin Williams. They occasionally have it on sale and it may be worth it to give them a call.

Allright allright!
Xylene it is.. :D

Just wanted some comments from the penut gallery.

Joel.. Hopefully I can squeak a 12.99 out of my arse if I'm able to kick up my fp and boost.

Or maybe I can get real lucky and run a 12.61 on my radial T/A's.
Right Jay? :p

Xylene is about 20% cheaper than Toluene, at my local Sherwin-Williams paint store.

That's a compelling tie-breaker!

WHAT ABOUT THE O2 SENS.

well from what i have read the o2 has a possibilty of being damaged if you run leaded gas and xylene or toulene, but what if i run regular 93 octane chevron w/techron and this mixture above of xylene what will happen to my o2 will it die much faster or will it die overtime whats the deal. am i shotening the life of the o2 when i put xylene in the gas tank with the mix of guess.

does anyone have an estimation how long o2 last running this little whichs brew.
are there any big negatives to running this stuff or safety precautions i should watch for. i really want to try something new right now i am running 41-42 psi of fuel and 14-15 psi of boost and the car is getting 3-4 degrees of knock what should i do raise f/p or raise boost or should i drop f/p and drop boost. whats up guys what do you think i should do here in this situation......

please get back guys a.s.a.p. if possible i want to head to my local shermin williams store to go and pick up a 5 gal bucket to start the witches brew.......

Xylene contains no lead. Theirfore, it does not cut the life of any 02 sensor.

Only danger is getting it on your paint.

Happy Brewin'.
:)

adding it up....

Hmmmm, If the mix is 104 no led at about $4.00 a gallon and pump no led is $1.50.[is here in GA anyhow:D ] And the "paint remover" is, say $5.00 a gallon. THEN:

10 gallons of 104=$40.00
3 gallons of paint remover is $15.00
1 tank of race brew then costs $55.00

IF the mix is no led and paint remover, then the costs look like:
10 gallons of pump 93=$15.00
3 gallons of remover is $15.00
1 tank then is $30.00
KNOWING we won't pump out what's left when the race is over, the tank gets run out on the street.
NOW, let's see where the break even point is for an alky system..
SMC dual kit is$400. 00
Alky is $1.00 a qt.
H2O is mostly free. Alky mix at 70/30 is now $.70 qt, or $1.40 a bottle fill.

$400/55= about 8 tanks w/ 104 brew.
$400/30= " 13 tanks w/no led pump.

Net cost for the ability to run 20+psi on the street, using the "cheap" gas is only about $1.40 a tank.. IF you don't run at WOT all the time!!:eek: :eek:
If you do, best add in a few 100 dollar bills for tickets....:D :D

Disclaimer:
Above math is subject to flaming and results may differ in each situation!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Why bother? Haven't you guys read the threads about running 20-23 pounds on the street on 93 octane, without Alky? All it takes is "tuning", and you're there. Doesn't hurt the O2 sensor, either. (See thread below, "how much boost are you all running") Think one key is a good intercooler. Second key is to have a translator plus.

TRIED D' XYLENE......OMG!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a difference in all round feel on the throttle. the car just starts to boost but nasty fast i mean really quick it feels like it wants more boost but i do not have the scanmaster hooked up on the car now so i do not want to raise the boost past 14-15 psi safely. the one thing that i did do was turn up the fuel pressure from 41-42 psi to about 43-44 psi. i am afraid of turning up the boost cause i have no way of watching the spark knock.

this sure is bad a$$ but a little costly in the long run i guess over the alky kit. but i am not on the gas all the time, that has to be the hardest part but i think it can be controlled.

i did 3 gallons xylene, 9 gallons 93 chevron & 2 1/2 oz. marvel mystery oil.........

what a difference right off the start......

all i have to do now is find the xylene cheaper then $30 a 5 gal tank......so that it would be more conventional then the smc alky kit..... hopefully i can find it for less then $25 yeah right......oh well will keep you guys posted on this...