willing to pay...

speedskills

Seniór Member
I would be willing to pay if someone could somehow come up with a graph on turbo characteristics. Like hp ratings, stall speed recommendations, lag(spool time),etc. It doesn't have to be extremely technical, but I'm sure it would help some of us to dumb it down a bit.:confused: I've got a TE60 and don't have any idea about stepping up from there. Car spools great, but doesn't seem to have great power on the top end compared to say a TA49. Also been chasing crossover pipe leaks. Is my turbo taking a dump and causing too much backpressure? If so, how can I check turbo for problems? Sorry, this couldve been about 3 threads.

sounds good, paypal me 65$ and ill foward you the graph on this site and the 2 from gnttype.org.

Thanks a lot. 99% of the time I use my phone to get on here and there is a lot of things it won't allow me to do. Like searches.

I believe you should check out a few other things before you slap another turbo on the car and expect a big change.

How much boost are you running? Are you getting any KR in third gear?

Are you running stock heads? If so, how old are the valve springs?

Have you checked your fuel filter and your air filter?

Fuel pressure rising in sync with rise in boost?

TPS set correctly and throttle blade horizontal at WOT?

What are the current track times and the MPH gained in the back half of the track?

The TE60 is a good turbo and according to the chart by PTE capable of supporting 580 HP which is 35 more than the 49. A couple of my fellow club members have TE60's and they both run 11.70's with full weight, fully optioned street cars.

. A couple of my fellow club members have TE60's and they both run 11.70's with full weight, fully optioned street cars.[/QUOTE]

I went 11.0s with a full weight car.My 60 pulled from a dead stop and on top pretty well..........

My friends don't push their cars extremely hard but they've made a few changes in their combo's and should be in the low 11's. One is a low mileage car with a garage full of trophies from car shows so he won't install a rollbar and the track will shut him down if he goes much quicker.

TE60 is a good turbo and is capable of high 10's, low 11's with the right combination and great tuning. You obviously know what you are doing and would be a good source of information for this guy.

I believe you should check out a few other things before you slap another turbo on the car and expect a big change.

How much boost are you running? Are you getting any KR in third gear?

Are you running stock heads? If so, how old are the valve springs?

Have you checked your fuel filter and your air filter?

Fuel pressure rising in sync with rise in boost?

TPS set correctly and throttle blade horizontal at WOT?

What are the current track times and the MPH gained in the back half of the track?

The TE60 is a good turbo and according to the chart by PTE capable of supporting 580 HP which is 35 more than the 49. A couple of my fellow club members have TE60's and they both run 11.70's with full weight, fully optioned street cars.

Stock block and heads. 23 psi boost with alky. No KR. Replacing valve springs right now. Everything else mentioned is correct or new. Time slip follows: 60 ft-2.04. 330 ft- 5.60. 1/8- 8.56. 1/8mph- 83.47. 1/4-13.20. 1/4mph-103.89. Car was ran fully loaded on street tires (bfg radials).

I've got a TE60 and don't have any idea about stepping up from there. Car spools great, but doesn't seem to have great power on the top end compared to say a TA49.
Looks like you got some responses but nothing comparing the 2 turbos you mentioned. You must have some other issues. There is no difference in power in a 3 bolt application using a TA49 or TE60 if they both use the same ex housing and same 31 trim wheel. Ive tested them both and saw nothing. Same ex wheel in the same housing and no change in charge air temp even with the 2 mm larger wheel. Absolutely nothing. Maybe a tang 4 bolt version would show something getting rid of backpressure with the 60 compressor vs the 58 but not much. They both spool exactly the same too. Anyone who tells you different is shot. 5831 and 6031= same performance. The 6031 is a mismatch of comp/turbine in a 3 bolt housing as well as the 7076,7276, 7480/7468 and 7680/7668. All of those in 3 bolt are a waste of a part # and dont do dick for power vs smaller compressors with the same ex trim in 3 bolt applications.

Good to see those responses and that you were already in process of replacing valve springs and that should improve the big end. TV cable adjustment can make a big difference so I'd double check the setting.

Tune for MPH and if top speed does not improve by 10 MPH or more then I would recommend that you remove the MAF pipe and take a good look at the turbine wheel for possible damage.

If the turbo is fine, you may have a poor set of factory heads. I did and they had to be replaced.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks for the help yall. The reason I compared the two turbos is a friend has the 49 on his car with pretty much the same mods and he walked away from me at about 60mph. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help yall. The reason I compared the two turbos is a friend has the 49 on his car with pretty much the same mods and he walked away from me at about 60mph. I'll keep you posted.

The turbo is a small % of the total package. The stock turbo has been 11.30's. If the 11.30 car were to race most of the posters on here he would walk away from them too.

The turbo is a small % of the total package. The stock turbo has been 11.30's. If the 11.30 car were to race most of the posters on here he would walk away from them too.

And a great majority of the street cars driving around.<BAG>

OP, you should really pay attention to what Bison posts here. He is extremely knowledgable and has shared a lot of that knowledge with others on this board. I learned a great deal about my car from him and what to do to make it better and what not to do to keep from blowing it up. I hope he continues to participate in this thread so you can benefit, too.

Phil Engle

Hey buddy, I thought you were retired, stop helping people :biggrin:

From reading on this board Im guessing fuel and timing is , Well that and a lot of seat time to dial it in.

I've used both turbos. On an opened motor I saw zero gains moving to the 60.

The 60 is a great turbo with the correct combo. I’ve gone 11.4x at 119.96 at 18# with it. 1.67 60' off the foot with 3 psi.

Good to see those responses and that you were already in process of replacing valve springs and that should improve the big end. TV cable adjustment can make a big difference so I'd double check the setting.

Tune for MPH and if top speed does not improve by 10 MPH or more then I would recommend that you remove the MAF pipe and take a good look at the turbine wheel for possible damage.

If the turbo is fine, you may have a poor set of factory heads. I did and they had to be replaced.

Keep us posted with your progress.

ummm MAF pipe leads to compressor housing, down pipe will give u access to turbine.

Well, if he could see the turbine wheel by taking off the MAF pipe, his turbo really would be Fd Up. LMAO

Guess I need to proof read my posts before I hit send.:)