will i be able to spool it? (4 cyl omni and a stock 87 gn turbo)

finboy

okay, this may sound odd, but i am working on a GLH clone.

first things first, the stock 8v head is being replaced with a 16v unit from a neon. this head will flow INCREDIBLY. another guy with a turbo dodge put a twin cam 16v neon head on his motor and pulle 498 lbf (only 330 hp) at just over 2000 rpm using a t3/t4 hybrid (.57 intake with stage 3 exhaust side). WAAAAAAY too much power at that low of rpm, especially with my omni weighing 2300 pounds before diet.

what i was thinking is that if i went for the gn turbo, it wouldn't spool instantly making the peak torque so early.
then i got the GN turbo, nice and big :D . but when i really started looking at the exhaust side, i thought "thats WAAAAAY to agressive."

i am wondering if anyone has some flow charts of the turbo (.60/.63) or can fill me in if this thing will spool before i hit 4000 rpm :eek:

what displacement is the omni? 2.0? if it is, that's nearly half the displacement of a 3.8. not many exhaust gasses at all. Some of the turbos that I've heard eclipse guys liking are retardedly small a/r, like .42 or something like that vs the gn's .63. not sure what the t25 (stock eclipse turbo) a/r is. anyway my gut feeling is, there's no way in hell you're spooling one on a dinky 4 banger.

We put a stock gn turbo on a subaru.The header was long with a long uppipe.This was on a 2.2l and a 2.5l 5speed legacy and impreza.They spool quickly.Full boost below 3k rpm.
We took the impreza to Atco nj last year and it went 12.9@104.
Get this it was at 7psi.
Tony

oops, the omni is going to be a 2.5 (from a 2.2) and instead of a factory 8v, there is going to be a 16v.

stock turbo is a garrett t3 .42/.48, but the engine handles a t3 with .60/.63 specs without sweating, and that is on a stock 8v head.

I think it will spool fine. I'm sure your head flows much better than GN heads, almost anything flows better. My friend has a 60-1 on his 944 turbo (2.5L) and it hits full boost by 3,800rpm. It's a little lazy but it's almost twice the size of the stock GN turbo.