? Will an alluminum wastegate puck work

87 WE2

I had my boss make me a larger puck for my modified exhaust elbow I needed it 1/16 bigger then the 1 3/8 RJC puck. He made it for me out of round stock but its alluminum 1/8" thick, any idea if it will work ok? I dont want it to melt or warp any input would be helpful.

Melting point of aluminum is 1200F, stainless is 2500F. My guess is you might have problems using an aluminum puck. I'm not a metallurgist though.

Chris

It will fail. You have to look at the temp of the gasses flowing past it AND the pressure at which it seats. He
cchilly Melting point of aluminum is 1200F, stainless is 2500F.
is correct (the numbers vary with the grade of the material) but you only have to reach a temp where the aluminum becomes maliable (easy to bend) and then when the WG closes the puck will deform and may wedge into or stick to the WG hole. Then next time you wack the throttle you have no boost control and you can join the "Head Gasket Club of America"!!!;)

I would see about at least stainless or the best inconil (sp?) Good luck Jon Hanson

Just talked to him, he said he made it out of allum for me to check and see if it covers the hole right. If its good he will make it out of steel or stainless for me.

That the way to do it! I would make sure of the grade of material and the temp range it will deform at, stainless may work but see what he may have titanium, inconil, tungsten ...ect.

That the way to do it! I would make sure of the grade of material and the temp range it will deform at, stainless may work but see what he may have titanium, inconil, tungsten ...ect.

You mean inconel? Tungsten. Lol That would be very expensive and a bitch to machine. Stainless is the way to go.

It's just a puck!

LOL

Stainless should be fine... 304SS even...