Why Not A FMIC?

Azrial89

I am wanting to use a front mount for my street driven TA-49. Why is everyone so against a fmic for the smaller turbos? From my understanding, the slic was not very efficient the way it was. Plus I have a lowered car and I am tired of dragging my slic shroud on the ground constantly. Also, does it not just make more sense to have a fmic coming from the perspective of colder air makes more power regardless of the size of turbo or hp of the car? If I'm totally wrong with any of this, please enlighten me, I'm just trying to learn about the different options.

The SLIC will flow up to about 700hp if fully modified,If your not making that, you shouldn't need it, plus all the Radiator heat they add.

front mount cars run hotter on street driven cars cause your blocking the radiator. so your car might run 20* hotter on the norm with it. heat is the enemy. if your trailering it to the track different story. people do use them on daily drivers but engine temps are hotter. pick your poison

Ditto FMIC, f-body rad and dual fans. Usually under 170 in S FL. Granted, dead summer, A/C and slow traffic will definitely bump it up close to 190 if sitting.

my 49 used to surge pretty bad at part throttle/low boost with the front mount, sounded like it was coughing on itself lol. A bigger turbo solved that problem :)

I would not discourage a front mount but I would say don't look at the Buick aftermarket ones. I ran a 49 for years with a Dutt neck. I now have a Billet 67 HPQ and a huge RJC, but the smallest he offers. I know the 49 would have a tall task to spool and fill a cooler of this size. A PTE front mount might not be too bad, but I would probably look into a universal fit that was not too large. The 49 is rated about 545hp and the 67 is 935hp. I cannot imagine the front mounts were designed to be used with almost a stock turbo. I had a PTE SLIC with a 62 turbo. It worked great. My car too was lowered and even though it hit once in a while...it never hurt the cooler, just scraped the scoop.

my 49 used to surge pretty bad at part throttle/low boost with the front mount, sounded like it was coughing on itself lol. A bigger turbo solved that problem :)

^ This guy's car's Perfect!!...lol..it just has a Low Top End...8^(

I used a front mount with a stock turbo and a TE60. No problems. Went 11.72@114 with the stock turbo@20psi, and 11.36@119 with the TE60 on 23psi, both with bone stock long blocks. No cooling issues with good stock radiators.

HelloBozos said:
My Bad, "Theuh Cawr is Pawrked in theuh Yawrd" (Dialects while on the world wide web, i tell ya...) Location,Location,Location...

8^/

Someone didn't take their meds today...

Ive driven, dynoed, raced, pounded, exploded and just about any other word you could think of with stock location and front mounts and various turbos over the years. The front mount will be the most repeatable because heat soak is minimized by its location. The down sides are that its blocking the radiator and will require a fresh radiator and good fan speed. The Precision front mount is fine to at least 800hp/6000 rpm on a 231ci engine. Front mounts also throw a lot of weight on the front of the car especially if they are too big for the application. The stock location intercoolers are really good also but have less airflow over the core so the charge temp will be higher as the pass progresses and they heat soak easier but are more compact and sit more rearward so better for weight transfer. They do make it more of a pain to work on the front of the engine. Some would think that if a big one is better then the biggest must be even better. This is far from true. Bigger is better if the engine is flowing a lot of air. Air flow and pressure have to be looked at as two separate things. The cross sectional area of the inlet and the tubing on the core is a good indicator of the airflow potential and is just as important as the heat rejection. Keep in mind as the rpm goes up the air spends less time in the core. Thats where more cross sectional area and surface area could help. Running an intercooler that will support 8500rpm/1500hp applications on a car with a TA49 is a waste and will add a lot of weight to the front of the car. With methanol injection heat rejection is less of a concern and pressure drop will become more of a concern. I would expect about zero hp on a 115-120mph TA49/te44 car with a Precision stock location vs a front mount with a cool down pass. A few hp with the front mount if hot lapping. Thats about it. The volume of the intercooler has very little to do with the manifold pressure rise if the converter and combo is right. A TA49 car will spool faster than a T66 with everything else the same. My cast 60-1 (59mm inducer) with .85 a/r ex and clipped 76 P turbine will go from 5psi to 25psi in under one second. When testing turbos with a small stage 3 turbine like a 44/49 it would go from vacuum to 28-30psi in under one second on the trans brake with the Precision front mount. Almost as fast as i could put my foot to the floor. Keep in mind i had a 9.5" PTC, xfi, and the timing and fueling was optimized. A stock MAF car with standard chip would not spool anywhere near as fast.

70* an sunny here, no flue outbreaks,How long does it take the oil heater to run before you can start you car?

starts right up, no oil heater required. And it doesnt shut off after 10 mins because of stevie wonders wiring job :)

starts right up, no oil heater required. And it doesnt shut off after 10 mins because of stevie wonders wiring job :)

So's mine,I'm taking it out tomorrow,bugs are bugs,but you still have no top end...8^)
(back to square one.....)

HelloBozos said:
So's mine,I'm taking it out tomorrow,bugs are bugs,but you still have no top end...8^)
(back to square one.....)

Lol I'm just gonna let that one go

Wow, really great and valuable info. I will now be able to make an educated decision. Every little bit helps. Thank you all

the only time you can even sense a difference in intercoolers is when you remove the stocker for anything bigger.