Why does the GN shift at 3000

slack_sr

Ok guys, I need a little help. I bought my car 2 years ago from the original owner and now I'm trying to sell it because of financial and storage issues. The question I have is why does my trans shift so hard and why at 3000 rpm in every gear? The previous owner had put in a shift kit and an aftermarket chip, those are the only real performance mods done to the car. With me trying to sell the car I want to make sure that the trans is ok. One of the potential buyers is trying to tell me that the trans is shot and will need to be rebuilt and is trying to low ball me on price. I think the trans feels fine with the exception of the hard gear changes. I have had many cars with shifts kits and this one does shift harder than the others ever did. If I put the stock chip back in will that possibly lower the shift points? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Changing the chip won't change the shift points. Does the car have the original trans in it code BRF? Is the T.V. cable adjusted correctly? Are you sure your converter lockup is working correctly? You may have a stuck lockup solenoid.

it is the original trans. somebody had mentioned the tv cable before but I don't know how to adjust it properly. Maybe I should just take it to a trans shop. Be hard now because of the weather. Thanks for the input.

Push the "D" shaped tab in on the throttle linkage and push the TV cable in toward the firewall about an inch or so. Then get in the car and push the throttle all the way to the floor. You should hear a click or two. It's reset to factory default. If that doesn't do anything, push the TV cable in one click and drive the car. Keep adjusting one click to get desired result. Shifts will be a tad firmer. WOT shift points are controlled by the governor. That's a whole different story.

I agree, check to see if the solenoid is sticking. Does the car buck a little when shifting? not like the firm snap, but a bucking.

You know what....you are exactly right. I totally missed that. Thanks for correcting me. WTF was I thinking?

thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I will try to reset the tv cable tonight. Is there a way to check the solenoid and where is that located. I'm a complete dope when it comes to this car. First experience with a turbo/ injected car

Even if the trans is shot you can have a new one built and installed for around $1,100 from a good reputable shop. Bad trans should not affect the price a whole I wouldn’t think. Hopefully its just a simple solution like the ones mentioned above. Good luck.

Is the 3000 rpm reading from the dash "tach"?? If so, that may well be a bogus reading. Those tachs are notorious for being FUBAR!!

yeah the reading is the one from the dash tach. The car does shift really hard, but I honestly know the trans isn't bad. I will try with the tv first and if not I need to find a reputable shop around the Chicago area.

Might..

yeah the reading is the one from the dash tach. The car does shift really hard, but I honestly know the trans isn't bad. I will try with the tv first and if not I need to find a reputable shop around the Chicago area.

try Jimmy's in Mundelein. He's been around the TR scene for many yrs.

I F You Go To Wide Open Throttle Does It Still Shift At 3000rpms?if So Shut Off The Engine Disconnect Tv Cable From The Throttle Body Attaching Pin And Pull It In And Out 20 Times.start The Engine And Do The Same Thing.does It Make Any Difference?if So The Tv Valve Is Sticking.now Readjust The Cable As Per Factory Specs And Road Test.what Is The 1/2 At Minimum Throttle And Wot?

I just had this exact same problem, my cousin who works at a trans shop his family owns said get in the car with it off, and mash your gas to the floor a dozen or so times, then see how it runs.

Apparently the throttle valve CAN stick and hang and this can fix it.

So I got in my car and just mashed the gas to the floor about 20 times, then cranked and drove it on a test, bingo! Fixed.

So before you get too deep into it, try it and see :)

Now at heavier throttle it would shift AFTER 3000 but at even "granny" speeds it just wouldn't shift till 3000 or more rpm and then it was HARD shift.

Mine shifts good and hard except at WOT.1-2 at WOT it wants to hang a little before it shifts you can feel it buck a little like it wants to shifts it is only like a split sec. at reg. driveing it shifts good and hard is that normal?2-3 is good and quick at WOT. The problem is just 1-2 WOT?