Why 547?

Tmizunocherry

I am sure this has been discussed before. How did Buick come up with number 547?? Was it because that was how many dash emblems they had shipped to me, grin. No really I was wondering? Plus has anyone out there heard anything about a new turbocharge GN? Thought since all the Dodge and Camaro's came back, why not the best!! Going fast with class!
Would love to hear the discussion

Do a search. I think someone on here said there was supposed to be only 500 made. They said gm has #500 because they thought that was the last one but they had to fill more orders. :confused:

This was covered in a post that I made in the 'GNX, Prototypes, Parts, Build Info' thread which is a sticky at the top of this forum.

Text copied here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENTL231
Why Were There 547 Built?

Okay, here is what I was told from someone from ASC that was intimately involved with the GNX project.

Originally the number of GNX's was set at 500 to align with the Indy 500. All the tooling and assembly was planned for 500 cars.

At the time that GNX's were being sold at dealers, Buick had an award program for exemplary dealers. There was an award banquet where members from each of the dealerships that earned that top performance level were in attendance. A big wig from Buick spoke at the banquet and comended them for a job well done. During his speech he said something to the affect of: "And to congratulate you all on a job well done, Buick will provide each of you with one additional GNX."

There were 47 dealers in attendance.

He said this to the group without first clearing it with anyone from ASC. There was a scramble to ramp up production by adding 47 unplanned cars.

Here's a link to the original post:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gnx-fortunate-547/208109-gnx-prototypes-parts-build-info-exc-6.html#post2023212

I remember hearing something to the effect of 500 were supposed to be built, but more orders were taken than could be filled, so in order to avoid lawsuits, an additional 47 were built.

That is why to this day that GM owns both GNX #001 and #500.

#001 floats around the show car circuit and #500 stays at the Sloan Museum in Flint. Buick tried to get #547 back but that's another story in itself.

There was actually a 548 made. I saw the car. It wasn't an official car and was built by an employee of ASC who had a Grand National and wanted it modified with the rest of the group. I haven't seen it since the mid -late nineties. It was located in a northern suburb of Chicago.

But there was also a body shop in a northern suburb who had CLONED a few GNXs. The owner had an actual GNX himself and ordered parts for the car through his own VIN.
For those that don't know what I'm talking about, when you had a GNX serviced by a Buick dealer, they had to match the VIN, the turbo number and the car number before any parts could be released or the car serviced.

There was actually a 548 made. I saw the car. It wasn't an official car and was built by an employee of ASC who had a Grand National and wanted it modified with the rest of the group. I haven't seen it since the mid -late nineties. It was located in a northern suburb of Chicago.

But there was also a body shop in a northern suburb who had CLONED a few GNXs. The owner had an actual GNX himself and ordered parts for the car through his own VIN.
For those that don't know what I'm talking about, when you had a GNX serviced by a Buick dealer, they had to match the VIN, the turbo number and the car number before any parts could be released or the car serviced.

I dont know about 548 but I know there is a white one on here somewhere and he worked for ASC