Which way to go ...109 stroker or 4.1 ??

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I hurt the motor last summer when I ran out of alky , soooo I'm pulling it in a few days and want suggestions on which way to go with rebuild on the 109 or replacement with a 4.1. The new motor will be on E85 with all supporting mods to the fuel system (120lb injectors,Racetronix dbbl pumper & fuel lines ,TT E85 wideband chip). I'm looking at mid to low 10 sec. capable motor . Thanks, Sam

109 is all that's needed. You don't even need to go stroker...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Would a stroker or 4.1 make it "easier" to reach my goals with say less boost or timing or not running the motor as hard as you would with a stock block ?

I'm not apposed to upgrading the complete motor....cam , turbo , TR6 ignition , converter.

Yes going bigger would make it easier but not by that much for what you're looking to ET. You can search and see that stock stroke is getting it done. Strokers too. I would say stroke it due to the cost being the same on the forged kits. A little extra for making the clearance. I don't know enough about the 4.1 but there is no replacement for displacement..GL.

I figured since I was going to go with the forged rotating assembly why not go stroker. If I don't need to over bore (I believe the motor has low miles on last build) and it can be just honed. Can I reuse the same pistons on a stroker ??

Do some searching. I would go 4.1L. Just makes it easier on the components. Strokin out the 4.1 with some billet caps is the direction I'm headed. I have a block. Just have to save up the money for the stroke kit and pistons. Big stock appearing turbo and a stretch stock location i/c for the stock appearing look.

"Its stk" on the license plate. Crank up the boost with a meth kit and launch it hard. It should lay down the number and then some.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Why not stroke a 4.1? Anything worth doing is worth overdoing :)
I have a line on two 4.1's , thats why I was thinking .....maybe...but I don't know how bad my 109 is yet. Earl if these 4.1's have stock GM oil pumps on them would you be interested in rebuilding one.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing :)
And doing it right! Hence me going stroker 109. FWIW, Im making 500 hp 501 tq on 19-20 psi. Times in the Sig on those boost levels. With alot of room for improvement.;)

I would go 4.1 do it once and you got room for a lot more even in the 8s with the right combo . you will be pushing that 109

I have a line on two 4.1's , thats why I was thinking .....maybe...but I don't know how bad my 109 is yet. Earl if these 4.1's have stock GM oil pumps on them would you be interested in rebuilding one.

Are they unused crate motors?

i would do a 4.1 with ported irons, full throttle has forged pistons on the shelf now for the 4.1 i love the power mine makes

I hurt the motor last summer when I ran out of alky , soooo I'm pulling it in a few days and want suggestions on which way to go with rebuild on the 109 or replacement with a 4.1. The new motor will be on E85 with all supporting mods to the fuel system (120lb injectors,Racetronix dbbl pumper & fuel lines ,TT E85 wideband chip). I'm looking at mid to low 10 sec. capable motor . Thanks, Sam
A stock stroke 109 will get you there with the correct combination of parts. So a stroker build can get it done just the same.The 4.1 is a lot of fun and will have no problem helping you reach your goals easier than the others. It comes down to the build.

Last edited:
4.1 stroker all the way... Mine is so much more torque'y even at low boost (under 10psi)

Would a stroker or 4.1 make it "easier" to reach my goals with say less boost or timing or not running the motor as hard as you would with a stock block ?

You are absolutely correct that a 4.1 build will make it "easier" to reach goals especially with a street/strip build.

We have done 10 4.1 engine builds over the past year and can positively say it is much more responsive and pulls harder on the street with the massive amount of torque at low RPM and keeps pulling to high RPM. :)

I seriously doubt that the ones saying "stay with the 109" have any experience with a properly set up 4.1? :confused:

One of my production 4.1 builds can run 9.90's at 18 psi and a 70mm turbo with over 3000' altitude, which a make that ~ a 9.7 at sea level.

As far as 3.625" stroke on a 4.1, you will not see any significant performance increase until you reach the upper RPM range.

Since all 4.1 turbo pistons are a custom piece, the stroker pistons we use are about $200 more for the set, and you will spend a few hundred more $$$ in clearancing and mock-up costs.

No , out of junkyard
Make sure to get the block checked as I have come across many cracked ones over the years. I was building these motors back in the early 90's for myself and customers, then no one wanted them. I am surprised these are making a big comeback 20+ years later.

Are they unused crate motors?
Earl, I think I probably have the only NOS 4..1 engine in existence

[quote="David Husek, post: 3326813, member: 23191

Earl, I think I probably have the only NOS 4..1 engine in existence[/quote]

A couple months ago I was able to purchase a NOS 4.1 bare block which is now getting steel caps installed, and will be built as spare engine for one of my cars! :)

A couple months ago I was able to purchase a NOS 4.1 bare block which is now getting steel caps installed, and will be built as spare engine for one of my cars! :)

Awesome find Nick

Mine is a complete engine, carb to oil pan and it came with a turbo 350 attached, never run from the factory. Well it was run on propane at the factory, still has 1990's oil in it. Best of all, it is a 291 block.

I am always looking for these parts. You will be one of the first to know if I find more....

Attachments

• nos41.jpg
    nos41.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 333