Which Turbo?!?!

HooverGS

I'm new to this realm of turbo buicks and I have a question about turbo selection.

1987 Buick T-Type

Mods so far are
-GN1 Champion Heads
- Kenne Belle headers (I think)
-Wahlbro 340 pump
-Billet Mains
-Ford Powerstroke Intercooler

Im looking for about 500-550hp maybe a mid-high 10sec car capable.

What turbo should I be looking at, I had a Garrett M43 .70 turbo but I bought it and the rebuild maybe more than its worth. I can get a .49 Turbo as well but its sight unseen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to a newbie

A cast 60-1 would be the smallest compressor if use. 62mm or larger exducer turbine. A lot of choices out there. A 49 or anything with a stage 3 turbine is not enough.

I'm sorry. Layman's terms? :facepalm: What would a comparable part # be? Whether its Garrett or Turbonetics or PTE

I was looking at the PTE 5931E

Thank you!!

With your engine build, it is just "asking" for a TE-45A with a Garrett housing!

We have done many builds like this, and the 45A is killer on the street with great response, and will easily give you over 500 RWHP.

Bison is your "go-to" guy on this turbo as he is very familiar with it! :)

Should add.

-aftermarket cam I cant remember the company-
-Art Carr 2800/3000 Stall I Cant remember as well.

The cam is not a significant factor in your build as I have seen stock cams reach your desired HP level.

However, the converter is a different story, you will need to have the stall upped to 3500-3600 for this turbo to do its best.

Just so you know, this is not just my opinion since my personal street car has this combination including a PS intercooler, and I have done this build on many customer GN's!

You will also need to add at least a double pumper for an adequate fuel supply, and at that power level your next issue will be traction! ;)

Getting you car into the 10's is not difficult, but also it is not cheap to do it reliably.

Okay...Lets go High 10s on a good day and Low to Mid 11s. Im looking for something that I can drive daily if I'd like and then go to the track on the weekend and make decent passes.

A cast 60-1 would be the smallest compressor if use. 62mm or larger exducer turbine. A lot of choices out there. A 49 or anything with a stage 3 turbine is not enough.

Can you give me a direction to look at? garrett #s, Precision #'s

I don't have a Garrett catalog handy and the part numbers don't mean much to anyone but Garrett and many are different part numbers for the same part. Plenty of info out there in google searches in the wheels. Compressor maps for Garrett all over the internet. Precision has their own website that is specific and they use feedback from testing to rate their turbos ability to support hp. Most turbos used these days are more performance oriented and don't have universal part numbers because the parts are mixed and matched to create different results. Usually with newer stuff the first 2 numbers refer to the compressor inducer and the last 2 refer to the turbine exducer. On some units like BW the opposite dimensions are used. Compressor exducer and turbine inducer. Yet again a lot of niche companies refer to the trim of the wheels instead of their physical dimensions. There are hundreds of wheel combos that are used these days. It all depends on goals and what you are willing to spend on a unit. Everything i sell refers to compressor inducer and turbine exducer and blade design. A cast 70 may support 875hp and a point milled billet 70 may support 925hp and the wheel may be 25 grams lighter. Depends on the goal. Spending more is usually not going to yield the best value unless you're trying to squeeze every bit out of it