Which Turbo?

INTERCOOLED

Hey guys-

Thought that I would get your opinions on which turbo I should put on my car. I have a stock block, Eagle forged crank, roller cam, GN1 heads, going with 83lb injectors, Double Pumper, Intake, TB, and Precision FMIC.

I want easy 10s.

Give me your ideas! :D

I currently have a bulletproof tranny with an Art Carr 3200 for the 54 I have on the car.......but I will have the convertor restalled with new turbo if necessary

The TE45-A is a proven turbo that goes easy mid 10's @ 130 mph or so..... with heads and combo you are proposing...... There are several threads on this unit.......

If money is no object.... step up to a 70 series BB turbo..... probably won't even need to restall......

Check out the several active TE45-A threads on here.... lots of good combos and times.......

I would run a standard p trim 68 turbo,easy 10s with room to spare.
Convertor may be something you need to check once the turbo you chose is installed.
Check your pms

Anything bigger than a 54 will get you to 10's pretty easy i think. I used to use the 45A.....it was a good turbo but you will need more stall. I like using smaller convertors with BB turbos. I just dont like the feel of a loose convertor around town. I use a 70BB p-trim with an .85 exhaust housing with my Art Carr 3200. It spools a bit slow for most peoples taste, but if you went with a .63 housing it would spool real good. The 68 is a good choice also.

The 66bb would get it done and spool like crazy. But to maximize that combo you will need a Q. Slow spooling but tons of mph. If your goals are high tens then you could just keep the 54. Ive gone 125+mph with the PT54.

bison said:
The 66bb would get it done and spool like crazy. But to maximize that combo you will need a Q.

Excuse my ignorance, but by saying a "Q", do you mean a Q Trim? If so, what is the difference?

INTERCOOLED said:
Excuse my ignorance, but by saying a "Q", do you mean a Q Trim? If so, what is the difference?
Yes, a Q trim turbine. Q=big mph but slower spool.

What is the difference between a P-Trim and a Q-Trim?

Also, are there BB turbos and Dual BB turbos? Or are they all the same?

If you are willing to wait I would go with a Precision Turbo PT70GTQ Dual Ball Bearing. They use the new Garrett Dual Ball Bearing catridge which is entirely different then any ball bearing turbo on the market. Also the GTQ turbine wheel is different then a conventional Q trim wheel, alot more efficient. You will not have a spooling problem and might even need to tighten the converter up when the tune is correct.

Having just spoke with Precision Turbo, the PT70 series turbos are not going to be available with the dual ball bearing option anytime soon. The PT70GTQ is still an awesome turbo in standard form and you shouldn't have any problems spooling it with the proper setup and tune. We have used it on numerous combinations with great sucess. Give us a call for a price quote.