Which air compressor to buy?

darkred87T

Hi,
I bought a Craftsman Air compressor the other day but didn't pick it up at the store yet. It didn't seem like a bad deal, 26 gallons, 2HP and 6.4 CFM@90PSI. It also comes with an impact gun, rachet and some other goodies. The only tools that I'm ever going to use is an impact gun and ocassionally a paint sprayer. My father has a 15 gallon 3HP rated at 7.0 CFM@90 and it always seemed too weak. Should I return this thing and get a bigger one?
Thanks,
Mike

My compressor is a Craftsman 2hp 33gl upright and it seems pretty strong for my misc work.

Anyhow, I would think you would be fine since your running a larger tank but not sure.

I have a 30 gallon Craftsman upright and it gets the job done, I've used it alot over the last 2 years since I bought it. Just be warned, it is loud!!!. I'm talking "Leave the garage and get a drink while it's running" type of loud, lol. It's 'cause it's oil-less.
Not sure what accessories you're getting with yours, but the ones that came with mine were cheesy. The impact wrench was useless and the air ratchet doesn't have much power. I wound up picking up a Husky impact wrench that has served me well :)
But no real complaints about the compressor other than the noise :D

Just be warned, it is loud!!!. I'm talking "Leave the garage and get a drink while it's running" type of loud, lol.

Ditto.

My shop is attached to the house and our garage is behind it. So I keep the compressor in the garage and run a hose into the shop. You still can hear the compressor but not as bad once the garage access doors are shut. Now another way to do it would be to build a place outside near your shop/garage. You want it secure so one will jack it during the night etc. Just keep in mind, your neighbors may not like it either ;)

Well, there are alot of things to consider. There is a difference between running HP and peak HP. Recently, some compressor manufacturers got in trouble for advertising peak HP instead of running HP. My father's compressor is old and might be advertised as 3HP peak. These new compressors must be advertising running HP as required by law.

However, it seems like the most important factor to consider is SCFM. I guess this determines the volume at which the compresoor is capable of putting out. Most of the 110volt compressors are putting out between 4.5-6.5CFM @ 90PSI. The 240 Volt compressors seem to be up over 9SCFM@90PSI. Some 1/2 inch impact guns require only 4.5 SCFM, however, if I want to use a cutter or a sander, I might need 7 SCFM or higher.

I looked up a Campbell Hausfeld compressor (model# VT6271) that seems to have every thing I want. It's twin cylinder, 240 volt and 3 HP. It delivers 10.2 SCFM @90 PSI and I'm sure it's quieter than the craftsman I bought. The only problem is, it's $100 more and comes with no tools. Also, it's a wagon type and would not fit in the corner of my garage where the only access to 240V would be. I guess I would have to tip it up when I'm not using it. It's probably worth the extra trouble because it sounds like a nice compressor.

Anyhow, I think I'm goona go for the Campbell. It seems like a better compressor overall and worth spending the extra dough. What do ya think?

I looked up a Campbell Hausfeld compressor (model# VT6271) that seems to have every thing I want. It's twin cylinder, 240 volt and 3 HP. It delivers 10.2 SCFM @90 PSI and I'm sure it's quieter than the craftsman I bought. The only problem is, it's $100 more and comes with no tools. Also, it's a wagon type and would not fit in the corner of my garage where the only access to 240V would be. I guess I would have to tip it up when I'm not using it. It's probably worth the extra trouble because it sounds like a nice compressor.

Anyhow, I think I'm goona go for the Campbell. It seems like a better compressor overall and worth spending the extra dough. What do ya think?

Well I wouldn't even factor the tools into the decision, like I said, the ones that came with my Craftsman were a joke anyways, so I still needed to buy some better ones.

Don't they make the Campbell in a vertical model? I know with my Craftsman, they had basically the same compressor in both a vert. and horiz. model :smile:

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between a single stage and a two stage?