Plug wire discussions Which ones to buy?

Cool.

The DUI Livewires I have now are listed for the Turbo Regal V6. One wire was 14" too long and one was 10" too long and several were a few inches too long. Once I shortened them they fit perfectly, so that's why I was asking how they fit.

This is why I started this article, the red msd listed to fit turbo Regals do not fit properly as they are to long.

I understand that most wires don't fit well, but are useable to some. So, I have personally installed Reds, kirbans, and custom built msd wires available from our well known vendors that are the only ones you can take out of box and install that fit well.

Who makes a wire set that fits our cars well, what are there lengths and ohms please. I would like all three facts posted for everyone to see.

As far as diy wire kits go, that is unlimited, not everyone will do that. I personally built my own wire sets, but for the cost of just one set it may not be a worthwhile investment for some.

The only two sets I can recommend out of box that are readily available are the Kirban wires or custom cut MSD sets from our vendors.

Thanks
Bill

As another option, these are custom cut for our cars and perform well (for me) with very low resistance. Also has a nice "click" when slipped on a plug. Many plug changes since I put these on and has held up very well. Comes in different colors. One downside is they are not as cheap as they were when I first bought them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-National-3-8L-Turbo-Black-Covered-10-mm-Spark-Plug-Ignition-Wire-Set/332445141843?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=9c0f89a364c6417085059257201d0eae&pid=100040&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=332445141843&itm=332445141843&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

This is why I started this article, the red msd listed to fit turbo Regals do not fit properly as they are to long.

I understand that most wires don't fit well, but are useable to some. So, I have personally installed Reds, kirbans, and custom built msd wires available from our well known vendors that are the only ones you can take out of box and install that fit well.

Who makes a wire set that fits our cars well, what are there lengths and ohms please. I would like all three facts posted for everyone to see.

As far as diy wire kits go, that is unlimited, not everyone will do that. I personally built my own wire sets, but for the cost of just one set it may not be a worthwhile investment for some.

The only two sets I can recommend out of box that are readily available are the Kirban wires or custom cut MSD sets from our vendors.

Thanks
Bill

I make the MSD ones and order the Firecores I mentioned when necessary. Length depends on application. I’ve made for stock, coil near plug, and type 2 ignitions. Approximately 50ohms/ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison, have you ever had an issue with the Fire Core plug wires? I ran a set for maybe 200 miles and 10 track passes and had 2 that the core broke down. I then switched back to the Russ Merritt MSD wires and no issues since.

Great thread Thumper, we know that our vendors are top notch. Kirbans wires look so stock and Merritts are a great performance wire. Thanks for sharing.

X2 on the Fire Core wires....fit is perfect and never an issue. Also, the guy,at FireCore, i delt with, went out of his way to help with my requests.

Well the UPS Dude dropped off my package today. I was excited! Had my tape measure, multi-meter & camera all warmed up & ready to go...

About 7 minutes later, excitation evaporated & was replaced with disappointment. :cry:

This is what was in the box from Amazon.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I'm guessing some type of coil on plug LS application.

Now I will be testing the Amazon return & replace feature. :rolleyes:

Well the UPS Dude dropped off my package today. I was excited! Had my tape measure, multi-meter & camera all warmed up & ready to go...

About 7 minutes later, excitation evaporated & was replaced with disappointment. :cry:

This is what was in the box from Amazon.

I'm guessing some type of coil on plug LS application.

Now I will be testing the Amazon return & replace feature. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that part number isn't even close to 98024 Bummer. Let us know how that goes, Amazon is usually pretty good about that stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, that part number isn't even close to 98024 Bummer. Let us know how that goes, Amazon is usually pretty good about that stuff.

I've used Amazon since back when they only sold books. This is only the second time I've ever had a problem. The other time the package left their facility, but never made it to UPS. Fell off the truck?

I'm guessing this time the hot chick just walked by the guy who was filling my order. :geek:

Bison, have you ever had an issue with the Fire Core plug wires? I ran a set for maybe 200 miles and 10 track passes and had 2 that the core broke down. I then switched back to the Russ Merritt MSD wires and no issues since.

No and many others have been over 400hp/hole on them. They are overkill for a stock ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAYLOR Thunder Volt 50
10.4mm / 40 ohms per foot
Part #98024

30.75" = 92.9 ohms
28" = 84.3
25" = 75.1
25" = 74.1
24.5" = 73.3
24.5" = 71.1

There is a "quality inspection report" card inside the box.
Dated = 7/29/16
Inspected by: Linda

These wires look nice! They are fat though & will most likely require a special set of wire dividers. Taylor shows a set of 10.4mm wire dividers on their site. I have not installed the wires yet.

buick-v6-turbo-spark-plug-firing-order-wire-position.jpg

EDIT: Add Image

Last edited:
TAYLOR Thunder Volt 50
10.4mm / 40 ohms per foot
Part #98024

30.75" = 92.9 ohms
28" = 84.3
25" = 75.1
25" = 74.1
24.5" = 73.3
24.5" = 71.1

There is a "quality inspection report" card inside the box.
Dated = 7/29/16
Inspected by: Linda

These wires look nice! They are fat though & will most likely require a special set of wire dividers. Taylor shows a set of 10.4mm wire dividers on their site. I have not installed the wires yet.

View attachment 317185

I think you'll find you like them very much. Did Amazon match the deal you got for the right wires?

EDIT: Add Image

I think you'll find you like them very much. Did Amazon match the deal you got for the right wires?

They just replaced them & sent a pick-up tag by UPS.

I think the $14 price was a mistake, as it has been changed. With S&H the wires were about $24 & change. Summit has these wires in the $70 range. I suspect the Russ Merritt MSD wires are probably a better buy as far as fit. We'll see how these fit this week-end. I have a pair of new hood support struts (goodbye wooden dowel) & a Casper's volt booster from Kirban that should arrive tomorrow.

As another option, these are custom cut for our cars and perform well (for me) with very low resistance. Also has a nice "click" when slipped on a plug. Many plug changes since I put these on and has held up very well. Comes in different colors. One downside is they are not as cheap as they were when I first bought them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-National-3-8L-Turbo-Black-Covered-10-mm-Spark-Plug-Ignition-Wire-Set/332445141843?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=9c0f89a364c6417085059257201d0eae&pid=100040&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=332445141843&itm=332445141843&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

Wow! They claim only 25 ohms of resistance per foot.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

Installed them big fat wires today. Went pretty smooth. The OEM plug wire dividers cannot handle them as I expected. I was able to use the lower half on the driver side. Passenger side ones were broken last time the 8mm wires were replaced.

Tried to figure out how to fashion wire dividers out of zip-ties, but couldn't figure out how to daisy chain them together. I've seen it done before, but not how they did it. Anyone know how, please shed some light on the mystery.

Looks like I will be ordering some 10.4mm dividers from Taylor.

Thanks.

Installed them big fat wires today. Went pretty smooth. The OEM plug wire dividers cannot handle them as I expected. I was able to use the lower half on the driver side. Passenger side ones were broken last time the 8mm wires were replaced.

Tried to figure out how to fashion wire dividers out of zip-ties, but couldn't figure out how to daisy chain them together. I've seen it done before, but not how they did it. Anyone know how, please shed some light on the mystery.

Looks like I will be ordering some 10.4mm dividers from Taylor.

Thanks.