where to mount trans cooler when using a front mount?

i'm going to try and figure this out myself this weekend. I'm putting on a FM and trying to find a spot for my B and M cooler.
Next question- HOW DO YOU MOUNT IT ?

Question 1. I have mine on the inside of the passenger side fender, below the battery tray (Horizontally mounted).

Question 2. With about 4-5 mid size tie-wraps :D . Seriously, they work well. I even have a small fan on mine that is tie-wraped to the cooler. As stiff as can be IMO! Hey wait a minute..... :D ;)

Originally posted by Turbojorge
Question 1. I have mine on the inside of the passenger side fender, below the battery tray (Horizontally mounted).

Question 2. With about 4-5 mid size tie-wraps :D . Seriously, they work well. I even have a small fan on mine that is tie-wraped to the cooler. As stiff as can be IMO! Hey wait a minute..... :D ;)

Exactally how mine is. :)

Few pics of it when the bumper was off the car,
http://thelittlebaby.dhs.org/kenny/buickatbodyshop/AUT_8037.jpg
http://thelittlebaby.dhs.org/kenny/buickatbodyshop/AUT_8046.jpg

Sorry I don't have any better pics, but I'm sure you get the idea. :)

I have my B&M mounted in between the air dams. Two of the four holes line up with the existing holes on the tranny cooler. I just used the metal straps that came w/cooler to mate with the last two holes on the cooler. It looks pretty clean and cannot be seen from the front. It took about 30 minutes or so to install.

Summit sells a long/skinny tranny cooler designed to be attached to the frame rail, but they don't seem very popular... I would imagine they'd be about perfect for a car with a front mount. Any idea why not more people use them?

I have mine mounted in the same place with a few differences. I made brackets to attach it to the bumper support and fender splash apron at the front of the front fender opening. It's bolted on there and there is a small splash apron built into it so mud and road splash don't go through the cooler. I have a fan mounted on it that bolts to the same brackets. I bought a $5 pair of the foam sandals you get at WalMart and cut up to make some strips for it to sit on so it wouldn't wear into the cooler.

I also highly recommend that you utilize a cooler with AN fittings there. Cal Hartline lost his car when his cooler lines came off. I have my fan wired into a thermostat I had installed in the tranny pan or I can run it manually.

To keep your car cool still. Spend an hour straightening the AC condensor fins and clean out all the dead bugs and rocks the car wash won't touch. Then box the opening to the header panel and below so the air has to go through that opening.

My car never runs hot and has a stock fan with a seal to the radiator (griffin aluminum radiator).

I have always been against mounting it where a possible stone, small animal:D etc.. could hit it like in the pics.... just me. I have Cotton's FM and attached mine with an 8" fan to the extreme passenger side/middle on the front of the radiator behind the front mount. I have the trans-cooler fan set up as a pusher and it only took 18" of wire to slide under the radiator and attach at the stock fan wiring. Both come on at the same time and work fine! I actually felt an increase through the radiator with the small fan assisting. I place a piece of paper on the front side of the IC and it stays in place with the 8" running. Take the power off the 8" and it drops to the ground. It works! and it would have to take out a bunch of stuff to get at it! What is a good trans worth....$2k?

My cooler is mounted to the front of my F/M, behind the grill. It makes for a clean install. I wouldn't do this if I lived in Texas (it's 32 *F here presently - you get the idea).

The best arrangement would be a fan pack, so long as you could come up with a workmanlike way to mount and wire it.

:D

I mounted mine behind the bumper & behind the KenneBell vent on the pass side with a small fan wired to come on with the radiator fan.

I have mine between the front mount and radiator on the passenger side of the car. When the dual fans kick on, lots of air gets pulled through so I'm sure it's getting enough airflow. :)

I had a B&M cooler, mid size (6x9 or so) going from memory. I bought a cheapie Summit fan that pulled the air. I mounted it on the passenger side, up in the front corner blowing down. It sucked cool air from the front grill area, whatever didn't go thru the radiator.

2 tricks to consider:

The puller fan mounted under the cooler kept rocks & debris from hitting the cooler. Works better than pusher fans with the cooler on the bottom.

Tilt the cooler/fan assy slightly away from the vehicle. It can kick up a lot of dust depending on what you drive on. Blowing it away from the car helps keep it clean a little better than blowing it straight down or under the car. Also don't want that heat under there either. A deflector works well too.

Hope that helped.

Yup, mine looks exactly like Daves.

My fan is wired to the ignition so it always on. It helps keep the tranny cooler and the car overall.

FWIW, I see about a 6-8* difference in Colant temp without it in heavy traffic. Works great and cost $10.00 at the junkyard WITH warranty. (Thanks 93 Geo Metro :D )

Bought the biggest perma cool and mounted it in between the front mount and the A/C condenser.
Tarey D.