Where should I move to?

wlaukaitis

3rd Member
Hi guys,

The wife and I are looking to get off this Island (I live on Long Island, NY) It is too damn expensive, and the everyone is a crook. There is not sense of community where I am. My wife likes Sandusky, OH. To me that is kinda culture shock. I do like the idea of selling my house and buying one outright in OH.

I have lived in Herndon, VA, I'd go back

Also, the ABE area of pennsylvania

Someplace that has 4 seasons, but nothing too extreme like Boston (snow is OK just not tons of it) or florida (heat) although AZ is not out of the question. I don't need beaches although they are nice

So, we are looking for somehing a little slower and where there is a sense of community. My wife teaches and I am a level II computer support dude (Kinda like Nick Burns, your company's computer guy)

DC/MD/VA

Herndon! Not as much as a culture shock here in the DC area plus, not as hustle n' bustle as NY. And Baltimore aka Gbodyparts, is right down 95!!! ;)

Why not come back to the ABE area, we seem to be importing all the NJ-NY ers:) :rolleyes: We could use more TR's running around:D

Tell ya what - it's hard to beat the Midwest.
I'm in Springfield, IL and with in a 3 hour drive radius is Chicago (2.5 hours), St Louis (1.5 hours) & Indianapolis (3 Hours). So if you want some "big city excitement, it's jsut a short drive away.

Also 3 major drag strips... one in each city, an 1/8th mile track 40 minutes from Springfield too...

Living is cheap here and it's still has a small town feel (and lots of small towns around)

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
How about a retirement community

J/K:D ;) ;) :eek:

:D :D :D

Just don't come to California what ever you do, talk about expensive and if the crooks don't get you, the gas prices will:eek:

I sure wish I could move to Ohio:(

LOOK No ONE is Leaving LongIsland NY not as long as i have to stay here . Why would you want to leave ? Do you not like traffic at all hours , high taxes , high gas prices . 400k isnt that much for a 3 bedroom home is it ? Or do you just want to go somewhere where your salery matches the cost of living better . Hey check out Lexington Kentucky . I dated a girl from there and it was really nice there . You have the seasons too and not a foot of snow in the winter to shovel . For $250k you can get a new really nice house there . Plus Bluegrass airport is in the city if you need to travel anywhere . Good luck where ever you decided to go . :p

Ohio, doesn't matter where so long as you stay out of the cities.
I'm in the middle of the largest corm producing county, Nothing like O2 rich clean spring/summer air.....
2 Dragstrips within about an hour. Columbus and nation Trails are a few hours away.

Downtown, has 2 ornamental traffic lights, more like navigational aids actually, just so someone has a point of reference to where downtown is I guess. If I'm going to be gone for a week or so I sometimes remember to lock the house. But, most of my neighbors have shot guns at the ready, and no one recall other then the one fall when there were a bunch of house breakins. They found the thieves, by figuring out who wasn't at the HS Football games, which is when the breakins occurred.

After growing up in West Islip, and moving to LA for 20 years, tis nice being here. If you can work off the Net from home you'd be OK, other wise you'd have to live near one of the cities. But typically, you don't have to drive far to get into the *burbs*.

You could come a little farther south and settle in the Abingdon/Bristol Virginia area. I live 20 miles north of Bristol, VA/TN. It's about 3 hours to the coast of NC. Plenty of access to tracks in VA, NC, TN and KY. We have four seasons. It hasnt been over 85 for the last 4 weeks. If you are a Nascar fan this is home to the Bristol Motor Speedway(BMS). Just my .02 Just moved to this area and love it.:cool:

Drew

Im thinking of moving to FL(Ft Meyers,Bradenton area)or SoCal.Im from AL but ive lived in the Cayman Islands for almost 4 years and I never want to go back to the cold weather again unless its on vacation.Gotta live near the water too.Its very peaceful.:)

I dont see how you northerners do it.;)

Dude, you just described Kansas City Missouri to a tee. CHeap housing, plentiful open highways, all 4 seasons, and very friendly people. Pace is a bit slower, but not too slow.

I love where I live. It's in Florida and we have some of the best beaches on Earth here. It still gets cold enought to have 4 seasons because we're in the pan-handle. Housing is also VERY affordable. Jobs can be somewhat hard to come by though.

Originally posted by bishir
I love where I live. It's in Florida and we have some of the best beaches on Earth here. It still gets cold enought to have 4 seasons because we're in the pan-handle. Housing is also VERY affordable. Jobs can be somewhat hard to come by though.

I know what you mean as I lived in West Palm Beach and Lake Worth area for a couple of years. I've been trying to talk my wife in moving there, but she just won't budge, she like CA to much.

Go figure:confused: When I retire in 9 years, I'm outta here with or with out her ;) Who am I kidding:confused:

Originally posted by bishir

bish,

I used to love that area! We used to vacation in Blue Mountain Beach (off rt. 30). We ventured through rt. 98 last month and were astounded at how things have changed! The recent buildup of d@mned near everything has turned me completely off. I can get traffic jams and high prices just by driving 90 miles to Houston. Sorry to say, we'll be looking for vacation alternatives.

Originally posted by S10xGN
bish,

I used to love that area! We used to vacation in Blue Mountain Beach (off rt. 30). We ventured through rt. 98 last month and were astounded at how things have changed! The recent buildup of d@mned near everything has turned me completely off. I can get traffic jams and high prices just by driving 90 miles to Houston. Sorry to say, we'll be looking for vacation alternatives.

Destin and Fort Walton Beach have grown to a point it's very hard to get around. I live more towards Navarre Beach but it's growing too. Time to move to Montana. :D

Broke1, I work in Bradenton FL. and absolutly love it! Awesome track here too!

Pm me if you want real info. I moved from IL.(Quad cities) 2 yrs ago and never looked back.

Later,
Bo

Move to SE Michigan, weather is good, lots of cars, cruises , shows, Woodward cruise, and Autorama.

Originally posted by J Speak
Move to SE Michigan, weather is good, lots of cars, cruises , shows, Woodward cruise, and Autorama.

Okay... I get the cars, cruises, shows, Woodward, and Autorama. But "weather is good?" Compared to what? :D :D :D

(Just kiddin'.)