What should I do?

NickSampson

Hey guys first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong sub or area of the forum.
I've been into grand nationals since I was a kid and I'm now at the point where I'm looking around to get one of my own.
Upon lurking this place,craigslist,eBay I've come to the conclusion that you need about 6-7k to get a decent running tr without flinstone floors or with 500 pieces missing.
Ive been debating on what I should do because I dont make much money and I want to have a car that has the tr drivetrain(preferably an IC car)
Grand national exterior and interior
Nessicary badging.

I don't want a show car, just something that is fun to drive and i want the performance to be nothing short of a stock grand national.
Here's the question,
Would buying a regal limited and collecting the parts to clone it into a Gn be a headache/money pit?
Or should I just suck it up and save for a nice one.
I don't mind having a project, that's where I would have fun in doing it.
I have access to a nice garage with a paint booth, frame rack, the whole 9
The main thing I'm worried about with this is the computer, interior , and the trim/extra exterior features.
Are these areas going to be super problematic?
Or should I look for a Gn or t type That's in bad shape that's restorable?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys could give me.
Seems like a great community and I hope on the future I can give back!

Nick

My honest opinion, for what it's worth???? And easier for you in the long run....it's the long run that'll count for you.....suck it up and get a nice one. You'll be glad you did. And so will we.:wink: Don't grow old like me and spend time and money, time and money fixing up one that's sick. (sick as in medicine) Get a nice one that starts up, lights up the tires, and goes like lightning. Yes, it'll cost you, but it's worth it. How do I know? My GN is still on jackstands with me fixing it little by little. AS I said, time and money which I'm rapidly running out of!:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

My honest opinion, for what it's worth???? And easier for you in the long run....it's the long run that'll count for you.....suck it up and get a nice one. You'll be glad you did. And so will we.:wink: Don't grow old like me and spend time and money, time and money fixing up one that's sick. (sick as in medicine) Get a nice one that starts up, lights up the tires, and goes like lightning. Yes, it'll cost you, but it's worth it. How do I know? My GN is still on jackstands with me fixing it little by little. AS I said, time and money which I'm rapidly running out of!:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thank you for the advice! Im afraid of these things sky rocketing in value within the next few years. I'll probably have 3-4k to work with at the end of summer for one of these. I'm hoping I come buy a decent deal.

Is the Regal limited in question you're considering cloning, a factory turbo car? (yes they did make turbo limiteds)

If it's not, and you're talking of doing a conversion on a non turbo car, you will be miles ahead to just buy a turbo car, as opposed to a conversion. Even if you found a donor car with all the parts you needed, you'd still have the labor associated in swapping over the engine/trans/wiring/ECM/gas tank and a few other things I can't think of.

Also are you solely wanting a GN or would a T type suffice? They're literally the same car, just one is all black (1984-87) and the other in different colors of the rainbow. They did make more GN's though.

My 2 cents is to pony up the cash and buy a GN.

Is the Regal limited in question you're considering cloning, a factory turbo car? (yes they did make turbo limiteds)

If it's not, and you're talking of doing a conversion on a non turbo car, you will be miles ahead to just buy a turbo car, as opposed to a conversion. Even if you found a donor car with all the parts you needed, you'd still have the labor associated in swapping over the engine/trans/wiring/ECM/gas tank and a few other things I can't think of.

Also are you solely wanting a GN or would a T type suffice? They're literally the same car, just one is all black (1984-87) and the other in different colors of the rainbow. They did make more GN's though.

My 2 cents is to pony up the cash and buy a GN.

I would love to have a t-type.
It would save me the turbo conversion and I would only have a few things to change in order to have what I want(87 grille, decklid,badging, interior wouldn't matter that much I like the we4 interior.) I have found a handful of t-types that I would like to have, so once I pony up and get the cash I should probably look for a turbo t.
Honestly guys, what should I pay attention to most when looking at these?
Things that aren't easily repairable?

The Turbo Regal Buyer's Guide

Use the above link for what to look for.

I think the conversion will set you back farther than if you just bought a turbo car. I was in your shoes once. I wanted to turbo my grandma fresh 1 owner Florida kept no rust or rot Regal. Everyone here told me I'd save myself a ton of heartaches to sell it and buy a turbo car.

It might be different if the car had sentimental value (it did not) or if I were trying to shoe horn a GN drivetrain into a Regal wagon (that wasn't ever offered as an option) for the ultimate sleeper.

Then again since everything in Michigan rusts I can see how it can be hard to find one. Ever venture south a little? The east coast is said to be littered with TR's. I bought mine in NC when i lived there.

The Turbo Regal Buyer's Guide

Use the above link for what to look for.

I think the conversion will set you back farther than if you just bought a turbo car. I was in your shoes once. I wanted to turbo my grandma fresh 1 owner Florida kept no rust or rot Regal. Everyone here told me I'd save myself a ton of heartaches to sell it and buy a turbo car.

It might be different if the car had sentimental value (it did not) or if I were trying to shoe horn a GN drivetrain into a Regal wagon (that wasn't ever offered as an option) for the ultimate sleeper.

Then again since everything in Michigan rusts I can see how it can be hard to find one. Ever venture south a little? The east coast is said to be littered with TR's. I bought mine in NC when i lived there.

You are right about the rust, Michigan is notorious for that. I'd have to trust the seller an have a willing travel buddy with a truck and car trailer. Not out of the question but a possibility.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Gotta agree with Bruce on this. I'm doing about 99% of the work on my car and I've had it for 3 years now. Both rears quarters have been replaced and the rear brakes have been converted to discs so far. After looking at the underside closer I found that the frame needs to come out and I have another one to go under it but it needs some bracing for me to be happy. Rust knows no friends and it sucks.:mad: I have a lot of work to do to it but she's mine now so I'm gonna make sure it's done right and I want no more issues when it's done.:biggrin:

Will you be getting a loan to purchase the car?

If not, why don't you, along with using your saved money. That's what I did.

Welcome to the site Nick!!! I'm from michigan also. I don't think we use enough salt on the roads personally. LOL Hey Bruce, if your not driving your car do you want to sell me your Torque Thrust II wheels?:cool:

I just looked at that car Rick. That car is insane. Reminds me of the one from the first fast and the furious. This one just looks more furious.

money

If you don't have extra money to throw around on one of these cars you'll have a long list of disappointments add a women to the mix and good luck.parts for these car are expensive.

Yeah, F&F had a charger but the motor looks the same. There were quite a few GN's and GN parts for sale adds in the Detroit area.

If you don't have extra money to throw around on one of these cars you'll have a long list of disappointments add a women to the mix and good luck.parts for these car are expensive.
I have to say, this quote gave me a good long laugh.:D

cars

It's funny, i restore these cars for a certain clientèle that enjoy the older cars but not the time to work on them but enjoy owning them and driving.It doesn't bother me a bit spending there money refurbishing them.there are countless hours spent on cars that you never get paid for.It is nice when some one throws you their checkbook and tells you to write yourself a check for whatever you need to get started.I always thing what do I need for my Buick LOL!!

As a first time LC2/G body hybrid builder, maybe my story can help you decide. Trying to convert a NA Regal to a Turbo Regal is essentially the same thing I'm doing. I already has the Elco with a dead trans. I thought I was extremely lucky when I found a donor car, I was the first one there and got most of the driveline components and anything else I wanted for $2500. This was a mint 77k car that had been hit in the drivers rocker panel. I got a lot of parts in the deal, but to buy everything I got in the deal would add up. Fuel lines, engine frame mounts, relays, rear end, ect. adds up quick. Lots of little detail parts. True, you can gut good used parts from the parts for sale section. Add to that the time you will invest. I never seem to find enough time to make any progress since something always seems to need my attention. Once I began working on it, I said 'Might as well paint that piece' and once that happens one thing leads to another. I would hazard a guess the drivetrain, some powdercoating, and the mods you see in my sig prolly cost me upwards of 5k, and I'm still a ways off from being a registered, inspected driving car. And I haven't even mentioned paint. Add it all up and I'll easily have as much invested as you could probably find a car for, except you could drive it now. I cannot. I've enjoyed it so far though, so that's worth something too. One thing is for certain, if you can pull off a conversion, you'll have a good understand of how they work.

Wow so many replies!

I get sad everytime I look on craigslist because I see that challenger haha
So pricey!
Would rather have the sharper shaped charger with the vader grille!

I'm a music producer so I get paid per record, it's hard for me to budget money when it comes to me in bigger amounts in bigger time gaps.
No plans for a loan I've just decided to start a car fund!

I think I'm gonna go for the get a decent tr car and have a summer daily driver route. With the mandatory black on black on black exterior!

Patience is a virtue! I'll stick it out and find something eventually!

Thanks everyone!