When did GM to back to Top Post Batteries

For a while. Trying to think when but I know the tahoe and avalanches had them since 05? Colorado and Canyon have them. My Impala (12) has it and for at least 09 if not earlier. I just picked my wifes 14 Malibu up from the dealer a couple hours ago because of the battery crapping out. It has a massive AGM battery because of the stupid auto stop. They said the battery would have been $363. 1 more year and that car will definitely be going.

Shortly after they realized how f*&king dumb side post terminals are.

I cuss the damn things almost daily. Can't get a battery charger clamp to stay on the studs for the life of me.

Oh and those 5/16 hex heads that can't take any abuse and require a 6 pt wrench (or a vise grip if anyone else has touched it with a Chinese 12pt)

(I'm the guy who has to keep 120+ vehicles starting reliably on a new/used car lot)

I worked as an engineer for a company that designed and produced quite a bit of the electrical connectors and PCMs for GM and others. Those side post batteries were a big issue for GM. The battery cable connections are prone to acid leaks. Often the post breaks internally and cracks the case. My Chevy s10 did this and left me stranded. I know the Delco batteries were notorious for this. Not surprised to see them go back to top post batteries.

Our 06 Grand Prix had top post and our current 08 GP does. My 04 Bonneville still has side post and is mounted under the rear seat.

they made the switch right about the time they started getting better bulk prices on top post batteries and cables...