Wheel studs too short?

Lugnutz

I just got some new wheels American Racing "Kirbab style" GNX wheels. When I put them on yesterday I noticed the studs didnt seem long enough. It looks like there is only about 1/2 to 5/8 of the thread exposed for the lugnuts to grab onto. What is the minimum safe length I should have for the lugnuts?

I really dont relish the idea of driving down the road and watching my wheels take off and leave me.

As long as the length of thread engagement is equal to the diameter of the stud you should be fine.

Here are pictures of the nuts and studs. 100_4815.jpg

100_4816.jpg

100_4817.jpg

i would have thought by your screen name you would have known this

time to change it

summit ET/ultra conical

12mm x 1.50 RH - ET/Ultra - conical seat with shank - Lug Nuts - SummitRacing.com

and minimum safe engagement for any fastener is as much thread as the width of the fastener so for those lugs youd want 12mm of threads grabbing or just about 1/2inch if you're not into metric , from what you posted you should have enough thread with a regular nut , although the first pic looks too short
you could also knock out the wheel studs and replace them with longer ones

You would think so wouldnt you?

I checked out that link. I like the idea behind those and they SHOULD give the extra bite but I'm a little skeptical as to whether that extension will fit between the wheel and the stud. If they would fit it sure would be snug but I guess thats the point!

The MCGARDS list the shank at .625" (5/8") and the lnght of the shank extension at .250 (1/4) , measure your rim holes i'm pretty sure thats ok as that lug works on the GTA rims when mounting a rear GTA rim on the front of a regal with a spacer

i would have thought by your screen name you would have known this

time to change it

summit ET/ultra conical

12mm x 1.50 RH - ET/Ultra - conical seat with shank - Lug Nuts - SummitRacing.com

and minimum safe engagement for any fastener is as much thread as the width of the fastener so for those lugs youd want 12mm of threads grabbing or just about 1/2inch if you're not into metric , from what you posted you should have enough thread with a regular nut , although the first pic looks too short
you could also knock out the wheel studs and replace them with longer ones

that's funny

Do a search, and do it right. Longer studs are available.

Dorman products 610-323 is A BOX OF TEN LONGER THAN STOCK STUDS