Extreme Driveline vibration. Help!

BOP Nutt

Hey, I have suddenly developed an extreme driveline vibration in my 86 GN. Everything was perfect when I parked it in my shop last weekend. I say driveline because of no engine vibration while in park and vibration is not engine RPM related. It literally feels like it is going to shake the car apart starting at 50 mph (3.42 gears 26” tall tires).
I always go back to what has changed since I last drove it. The one thing that I did was I welded in a GNX crossbrace behind rear seat but I don’t see how that would cause vibration to start.
So...to make a long story short it seems the vibration is at 50+mph and only under load (no vibration on my lift or with rearend tubes on jack stands) Is there a chance that my lock-up torque converter has suddenly developed an issue? What makes it even stranger is that if I drive it up to 50 mph holding it in second gear the vibration is present. If I understand the design correctly, the TCC shouldn’t be able to lock in second gear. I’m thinking it’s TC shudder, but I may be way off.

My car mods:
BRF trans with the re-stalled “orange stripe” converter
stage-rite trans brake.
All stock internals on the 8.5 rear.
Stock long block
Bison built TE-60
CAS V4 SLIC
TT 5.7 alky chip
60 lb injectors
Julio’s ALKYCONTROL single nozzle kit.
Bailey 2-step, scanmaster-G, and powerlogger w/WB, fuel pressure, and boost as Aux inputs.
stock location control arm mounts
Lower control arms are UMI tubular. Uppers are stock.
rear sway bar with the linkage to the frame (HR style)
QA1 rear adjustable shocks
Poly body mounts including GNX bushing (been installed for a while)
GNX rear seat brace

Things I have checked:
I changed all 4 wheels/tires to a known good spare set and no change.
Doesn’t seem to be RPM related. It starts at 50 mph whether I’m in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th
I didn’t sling a weight off stock driveshaft and the u-joints appear (centered etc) and feel in good condition (no slack or squeaking).
I ran it at the same MPH on my lift and I can’t feel the vibration; however if I run it up to 65 mph I can feel it, just not as severe as when driving.
The rear wheels don’t appear to have any runout while running on the lift (attempting to rule out a bent axle).

Last edited:
have you checked your u joints or tranny mount.go under the car and see if you can move your drive shaft left to right any play ?

have you checked your u joints or tranny mount.go under the car and see if you can move your drive shaft left to right any play ?
Thanks, I have checked the u joints but I didn’t specifically look at the transmission mount. I’ll check it tomorrow.

Few thoughts, check the pinion flange runout. Check the axle flange runout. Check the rear bushing in the trans for excessive side to side play. If all that checks out check driveshaft run out or take it to a driveline shop and have it balanced. These cars have some vibrations (that I have noticed) at highway speeds, but it shouldn't be excessive.

NY Twin Turbo, Actually just test drove again and it vibrates under load and coast. Even if I bump it in neutral above 50 mph. It’s almost as if it is one of my stock axles. But I don’t see any wobble of the rear wheels when I let it idle in drive on my lift running about 10 mph (strictly based on a visual). I’m going to have to borrow a dial indicator to check the actual axle flange runout like Steve V suggested. Per Steve Vs suggestion I checked the rear bushing in the trans and there was no side to side or up and down movement. Also I double checked my trans mount per BPman1234 and it still looks new.

Also I just tried it on the lift again and I am second guessing my ‘no vibration on lift’. It vibrates at 65mph on the lift just not as bad as when driving. I am going to drop the driveshaft out for further inspection and I may install my spare driveshaft.

Rubber trans brace broke on my ar and gave me a terrible driveline vibration.

I think I found the issue. Both motor mounts are broken! They didn’t appear broken at first glance, but upon closer observation I could see a difference in the space (between block and mount) on the driver side compared to passenger side. The rubber on the old mounts was ripped away from the steel portion that bolts to the engine although the rubber itself appeared in good condition. I think it was allowing the engine/trans to get out of line thus causing the driveline vibration. I have the old ones removed and a set of HR soft polys sitting in my shop ready to install. I will post with results.

that will give vibration good to hear you got it. next.!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BTW FWIW……The HR soft poly motor mounts resolved my vibration issues by keeping driveline aligned. I forgot to circle back to post once I resolved it 4 years ago lol