Whats the best head gasket with o-ring block??????

TMGN

I will be running an o-ringed block with aluminum heads that dont have the receiver grooves in them.Whats the best head gasket for this???Ive heard I should pull the metal o-rings out and run a normal gasket.Or keep the metal o-rings and run a Fel-Pro 9441pt gasket.Or get the heads receiver grooved and run the 1003 Fel Pro's.Anyone have good results with any combos??This will be on a combo going into the 10's with 25# of boost.Opinions???Thanks

I ran SCE's for years (the old ones) with the wire in the block and a receiver groove in the head that the copper is forced into. Thousands of WOT passes without a head gasket failure. Make sure you run the best of everything in your engine if you run this gasket like i described. If you detonate a little it will break something. A girdle is a must. I currently use cometics with equally good results and less seepage. There is no room for error with the double grooved copper combo but it is blow proof.

?

I assume that the block has an o-ring protuding out of it. You MUST find what gasket the o-ring was installed to fit. Try a stock gasket --lightly torque one head--see where the o-ring falls on the gasket. I like o-ringed blocks--leave it in but find the right gasket.

Had the SCE metal oringed gaskets and Bison brings up the biggest reason why NOT to run an oringed head gasket on your GN.

THEY DO NOT BLOW UP ON DETONATION.

My GN went through hell over the past years and eventually it blew apart the thrust and not the head gasket.

Would you rather blow a head gasket or a crank due to detonation??

I now choose to smoke the HG and save the rebuilds for the more serious mistakes.

Damaging the thrust surface on the crank has nothing to do with detonation.

Neal

DR.BOOSTER said:
Had the SCE metal oringed gaskets and Bison brings up the biggest reason why NOT to run an oringed head gasket on your GN.

THEY DO NOT BLOW UP ON DETONATION.

My GN went through hell over the past years and eventually it blew apart the thrust and not the head gasket.

Would you rather blow a head gasket or a crank due to detonation??

I now choose to smoke the HG and save the rebuilds for the more serious mistakes.

Thanks for all the replies.Yes the block is o-ringed with the metal wire sticking out.I was running this block with a receiver grooved head and a Fel Pro 1007 gasket.But now I'm running aluminum heads with this block and just looking for the best gasket.Where do you get the SCE's?Thanks

Try this link:

http://www.scegaskets.com

Neal

TMGN said:
Thanks for all the replies.Yes the block is o-ringed with the metal wire sticking out.I was running this block with a receiver grooved head and a Fel Pro 1007 gasket.But now I'm running aluminum heads with this block and just looking for the best gasket.Where do you get the SCE's?Thanks

No oval shaped marks to blame on the torque converter so then what is it??

Mike,

Did I miss something? I can't follow what you just posted. If you're referring to my comment about detonation not causing thrust bearing failures it doesn't. There is no correlation I can think of. Thrust bearings control axial loads. Detonation typically takes it's toll on rod bearings, head gaskets, pistons and rods.

Neal

DR.BOOSTER said:
No oval shaped marks to blame on the torque converter so then what is it??

My bad

The bearings did not have any oval shaped marks, which tend to lay blame on the torque converter. They were down to the copper on a bunch of bearings, not just the thrust so I should of made that a bit clearer also.