What turbo with 60 lbs injectors?

wmerrell

Thinking about a bigger turbo. Running a 6262 with 60 lbs injectors. Are these injectors max out with a 6262 or can they support a larger turbo?

They can go roughly 133mph in a full weight car with no supplemental fuel. If you had enough pump and raised baseline pressure and ran non oxy fuel you could squeek out 9 sec power.

inj. calculator shows 60lb injectors are at 100% duty cycle at 600hp @ 44psi on the rail. If you have enough pump to run 60psi on the rail that will increase inj. flow rate to 70lb. If your spraying enough alky you will gain even more head room. With that being said I would upgrade injectors before I'd upgrade the turbo.

JT'sV6 said:
inj. calculator shows 60lb injectors are at 100% duty cycle at 600hp @ 44psi on the rail. If you have enough pump to run 60psi on the rail that will increase inj. flow rate to 70lb. If your spraying enough alky you will gain even more head room. With that being said I would upgrade injectors before I'd upgrade the turbo.

They've already gone well beyond 100hp/hole on different engines with low 40's effective pressure. I've made 600whp with plenty to spare on 93/alky more than a few times also.

They can go roughly 133mph in a full weight car with no supplemental fuel. If you had enough pump and raised baseline pressure and ran non oxy fuel you could squeek out 9 sec power.

What cam,converter and turbo combo was used?

I'm wondering if I could get there with a turbo change and leave the rest of my combo the way it is now.

Thinking about a bigger turbo. Running a 6262 with 60 lbs injectors. Are these injectors max out with a 6262 or can they support a larger turbo?

I would think that your turbo and injectors would be good to 130mph+. What are you trapping now that you need a bigger turbo?

I haven't been to the track yet with the car.

I'm going to go soon but after reading so many threads the et's are all over the place.

I've been told low 11's to mid tens with the combo i have now, tuning and track time will tell.

I'm shooting for low 10's high 9's if all I need are inj. and a turbo.

Is there a turbo that could put me there with my current combo ??

I haven't been to the track yet with the car.

I'm going to go soon but after reading so many threads the et's are all over the place.

I've been told low 11's to mid tens with the combo i have now, tuning and track time will tell.

I'm shooting for low 10's high 9's if all I need are inj. and a turbo.

Is there a turbo that could put me there with my current combo ??

It's an admirable goal, but unless you plan on putting in/already have a roll bar for 10's and a cage for 9's, you won't be able to go that fast at the track.

My car has been deep 10's on 22/23 lbs of boost but I get asked to leave a lot. I refuse to put a bar in the her, it changes everything about the car:cool:

Additionally, I have never been able to turn up the wick and run her at her all out best. I'm not trying to discourage you, but maybe baby steps is the way to go. Why throw money and parts at it when you don't yet know what it's performace level is?

First, take the car to the track when you know some other TR guys will be there. Make a few passes and have them help you to tune the car to it's current potential. It might already have what you want, especially if you plan on driving it on the street a lot!

There are many here who will say their favorite time with the car was when it was running very low 11's, occasionally dipping into the 10's. At that level, the cars run reliably and are still street/strip beasts with enough power to get your jollies at any given moment. They are also cheaper to maintain and break less.

Of course, mine is just another opinion, one of millions........ Good luck with it!!

It's an admirable goal, but unless you plan on putting in/already have a roll bar for 10's and a cage for 9's, you won't be able to go that fast at the track.
I can get away with it for atleast one pass, LOL.

First, take the car to the track when you know some other TR guys will be there. Make a few passes and have them help you to tune the car to it's current potential. It might already have what you want, especially if you plan on driving it on the street a lot!

I plan on doing that, and there are a couple of TR guys there that I hope to run into. I also put 100 miles a day on it during the week and play on the weekends.

There are many here who will say their favorite time with the car was when it was running very low 11's, occasionally dipping into the 10's. At that level, the cars run reliably and are still street/strip beasts with enough power to get your jollies at any given moment. They are also cheaper to maintain and break less.

That's all well and good, I believe I can have both [run low 10's and be reliable] but my question still stands, will a turbo change get the results with this combo???

Of course, mine is just another opinion, one of millions........ Good luck with it!!

I'm just looking for facts, proven setups, not opinions. Luck is for the lottery, research and sharing proven setups is the smart way to approach a goal.

Thanks Rob

robzombie said:
What cam,converter and turbo combo was used?

I'm wondering if I could get there with a turbo change and leave the rest of my combo the way it is now.

You're not going to get there with just a turbo change unless you plan in running boost in the mid 30's. You need to get to about 73-74lbs/min mass flow and as mentioned above you will need to have enough pump to supply the injectors at a higher baseline and the boost you will need to get it done. So 80-85psi and be able to keep up with the volume needs. Probably not going to happen on stock lines and drop in in tank pumps. The least turbo id try it with is a 62 billet, custom fast ramp roller with duration in the 220-222@.050 area, Ptc 9.5" converter. You need to raise the engines operating rpm quite a bit more than with what you have now or run the boost really high. Chances are the rest of your valvetrain will need to be addressed if you were to switch cams.

A friend of mine has gone high 8s-low 9s on a Red's double pumper through the stock fuel lines. Not sure which injectors he was running, though.

You're not going to get there with just a turbo change unless you plan in running boost in the mid 30's. You need to get to about 73-74lbs/min mass flow and as mentioned above you will need to have enough pump to supply the injectors at a higher baseline and the boost you will need to get it done. So 80-85psi and be able to keep up with the volume needs. Probably not going to happen on stock lines and drop in in tank pumps. The least turbo id try it with is a 62 billet, custom fast ramp roller with duration in the 220-222@.050 area, Ptc 9.5" converter. You need to raise the engines operating rpm quite a bit more than with what you have now or run the boost really high. Chances are the rest of your valvetrain will need to be addressed if you were to switch cams.

Thank you for the straight forward answer.

I will finish sorting out what I have now and see what it will run and go from there.

TURBOTIMMER said:
A friend of mine has gone high 8s-low 9s on a Red's double pumper through the stock fuel lines. Not sure which injectors he was running, though.

I'll bet he wasnt running 85psi fuel pressure to do it though.

I'm just looking for facts, proven setups, not opinions. Luck is for the lottery, research and sharing proven setups is the smart way to approach a goal.

Thanks Rob

My combo is a proven mid/low 10 second car with much more potential, much, much more. If you want time slips or testimonials I will be happy to provide them.

What I am tyring to clarify for you is that your goals are stepping into territory that gets REALLY EXPENSIVE, REALLY DANGEROUS and does it REALLY FAST.

You say it's going to continue to have "100 miles a day put on it during the week and play on the weekends".

The question remains, "Is your goal a street/race car or a race car you can occasionally drive on the street ?" You better decide this before you move forward.

My point is only this. If you don't have the money to go racing, don't try to build a low 10/high 9 street car. You'll only end up with a car you can't open up at the track or one that you can't really "drive" on the street without risking life (or lives) and limb.

Those ARE facts.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to shine a light on the parts of your goal that you may not have anticipated.

Then again, when you're all done and out there looking for a race...... I'll be your Huckleberry........:D

I would not run 60's into the 9's unless it were on racefuel. This will let you lean it out a bit, possiblly 12.5:1 depending on the motor. With a 62mm I would look for a cam that will pull to around 6200rpm. The lower the peak power is made the more lbs/min the turbo will need to flow. Instead of relying on the turbo to make the power, utilize the engines top end and make power with rpm.

JT'sV6 said:
The lower the peak power is made the more lbs/min the turbo will need to flow.
I disagree with this. Mass flow is mass flow. I'd agree the the pressure ratio will be much higher to hit the same mass flow as an engine combo that has a higher operating range if mechanical mass efficiency is the same.

bison said:

Bison if you raise baseline pressure wouldn't that lower lph at higher Psi? Confused. If I ran 48 line off with 25 Psi wouldn't the lph at 73psi be lower than 43 line off at 25 psi with 68 Psi?