What is Your Tow Vehicle?

horndog

For those who tow your vehicle to the track and other places, what is your tow vehicle?

I have a 2006 GMC Yukon Denali, but since I drive it a lot it gets 15mpg on the highway without towing and was possibly looking for something that got better mileage, but still can tow a car and trailer.

2001 Ford Excursion. Hwy mil. 21 not towing. 12 towing a 24' enclosed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a hemi. It gets 17 on the hwy not towing. I have gotten 11mpg towing my jeep on an 18' car trailer. Truck has plenty of power to pull. It is rated for "10K lbs" for a tow cap.

The 6 speed auto GMC/Chevy trucks/tahoe/suburban really help with mileage. I had a 2010 GMC crew 5.3 and 6 speed auto with a 3.08 rear and it got 19 normally and 13-14 towing Buick plus gear for racing on a heavy open trailer. My 2009 Suburban 5.3 2wd 3.08 rear 6 speed also got 13.9 mpg towing the same stuff. 1st gear and a 3.08 rear is not ideal for towing, but it is fine to get on the highway no problem. The suburban gets a best of 21 mpg highway at say, low 70's. If you get on it at all it will drop to 19 highway and about 16-18 around town depending on how heavy your foot is. MY FIL with a 2012 Z71 4x4 crew 5.3L 3.42 rearonly gets 15 highway not towing anything.

2000 Expedition 5.4L Kenne Bell Supercharged. (Tuned by Stillen)
If I baby it on the highway, I've gotten as high as 18mpg.
Usually closer to 12mpg. (I don;t bother to think about mpg when towing) :eek:

2004 Chevy Avalanche. 14.7 mpg. No payment so gas cost is reasonable.

thanks all... Since I drive in this vehicle 67 miles each way every day mpg is starting to become an issue. But I did not want to lose the ability to tow, nor did I(wife) wants 4th car :)

The 6 speed auto GMC/Chevy trucks/tahoe/suburban really help with mileage. I had a 2010 GMC crew 5.3 and 6 speed auto with a 3.08 rear and it got 19 normally and 13-14 towing Buick plus gear for racing on a heavy open trailer. My 2009 Suburban 5.3 2wd 3.08 rear 6 speed also got 13.9 mpg towing the same stuff. 1st gear and a 3.08 rear is not ideal for towing, but it is fine to get on the highway no problem. The suburban gets a best of 21 mpg highway at say, low 70's. If you get on it at all it will drop to 19 highway and about 16-18 around town depending on how heavy your foot is. MY FIL with a 2012 Z71 4x4 crew 5.3L 3.42 rearonly gets 15 highway not towing anything.

I was curious on the newer (2007 and up) GMC/Chevy lines

"Since I drive in this vehicle 67 miles each way every day mpg is starting to become an issue. But I did not want to lose the ability to tow, nor did I(wife) wants 4th car :)"

If you still need a tow vehicle, why not sell the current truck, buy an older suv (late 90's early 2000's suv's seem to sell for less than $5k). Then use the rest of the money to buy a beater. My beater 97 civic hx gets 43 mpg. (75 mile daily commute) There's no way I'd drive my expedition to work every day. That thing drinks premium - often!

Speaking of turbo diesel... I was wanting to buy a turbo diesel Excursion some time ago- I heard rumor that there was some guy that was using biodiesel and had managed to get something like 25mpg or better? Maybe on Ecomodder.com- not sure... Wonder if it's true?

2002 chevy 2500 diesel. daily driver also.
love the excursions but pre 2003, after this yr Cat stopped making there motors.

dont laugh
my tow rig and daily beater for many years (almost at 160K)
91 S10 blazer 4dr tahoe 4x4 4.3L (tbi 6 cyl ) w/factory tow pkg
pulling an open deck trailer (w/ 4 whl elec brakes)
and loaded it can pull a u turn on your average local street
Ohh.man i was curious how much they can tow. Thats good to know. Looking for a 4x4 tow myself.... that seems to be the ticket...

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD CCSB Duramax. No longer the daily driver, but still driven a couple of days a week. Normal mixed driving is 17-18.5, towing my open trailer with car is 14-16. I can get better mpg if I slow down.

"Since I drive in this vehicle 67 miles each way every day mpg is starting to become an issue. But I did not want to lose the ability to tow, nor did I(wife) wants 4th car :)"

If you still need a tow vehicle, why not sell the current truck, buy an older suv (late 90's early 2000's suv's seem to sell for less than $5k). Then use the rest of the money to buy a beater. My beater 97 civic hx gets 43 mpg. (75 mile daily commute) There's no way I'd drive my expedition to work every day. That thing drinks premium - often!
Because that would make 4 cars (GN, Tow, beater, wife's car)

Because that would make 4 cars (GN, Tow, beater, wife's car)
So what? You could save a ton of money on fuel and wear and tear on an more expensive to run truck. My 99 GMC 2500 6.0 gets bad highway mileage and worse around town. No fucking way would I drive that tank for a commuter vehicle. If I had a 2 car garage I'ld get an electric car and use that to buzz to work along with my maxi scooter my fuel and maintenance would be next to nothing.

Mine is a 1998 Dodge Quad Cab dually 5.9 Cummins gets 19 on highway and 16 towing . 39.000 actual miles bought new .