What is Your Tow Vehicle?

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead, but does anyone else have an opinion on towing an open trailer with a 1/2 ton? I'm looking at an '03 Silverado with the 5.3 for occasional towing, mostly a parts getter. I'd feel better having a 3/4 ton diesel, but that's not in my budget, and wouldn't tow frequently enough to justify getting something that heavy duty.

before i bought my diesel and a enclosed trailer. i hauled my gn around everywhere on a open trailer with a 06 silverado with a 5.3. I towed all the to BG from NC thru the mountains and it did fine. Just make sure to get a trailer with brakes so you don't work the truck's brakes as hard.

Ancient history, but before I got my Excursion I towed my GN on an open trailer behind my 98 Explorer. Never any issues.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

When me and the wife make a day OUT of it

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1406645599086.jpg
    1406645599086.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1406645668240.jpg
    1406645668240.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 106
2000 Chevy Silverado z71 - gets 19 mpg highway not towing about 12mpg towing cars or a 20' boat , about 14 towing 2 sleds. recently towed home a 2005 trailblazer from Maine- got about 12 mpg. It has the small 4.8 , so its not a powerhouse towing by any stretch of the imagination but with all the long hauls I do Ill take the good fuel mileage. Empty or not towing the 4.8 is plenty peppy and Ill take the good mileage any day for a full size pickup truck.

Thanks everyone. The truck I'm looking at already has the hitch and electronic trailer brakes, I wouldn't pull one without it. My 1st choice is an 8 foot bed with an extended cab, but it seems like there are only about three trucks with an 8 foot bed that were ever built. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. The truck I'm looking at already has the hitch and electronic trailer brakes, I wouldn't pull one without it. My 1st choice is an 8 foot bed with an extended cab, but it seems like there are only about three trucks with an 8 foot bed that were ever built. :rolleyes:
Expand your search to include Texas, plenty of long bed trucks to choose from. Fly in n drive it home.
I'm a Suburban kind of guy. I have a pickup too but it is a short bed. We use the trailer for big things.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Tow the GN with my 05 Buick Rainier 5.3 V8 Not bad better than my V6 Silverado did lol 15-16 city 20-22 Hwy. Towing the GN 12-13mpg

I have a 27' travel trailer that I haul around for family road trips. It is super tall and comes in around 7000lbs fully loaded with crap. I've towed it exclusively with 1/2 ton trucks.

First was my 2006 Nissan Titan with the big tow package. With intake, exhaust, and tune it did great for what it was. Averaged just under 10mpg towing all that. I did get sick of towing with it because the VK56 pulls hardest around 4500 RPM up hills and it was stupid loud. Also major headwinds would slow me down to 55-60 in that thing. I almost never put it in 5th gear.

I recently got rid of the Titan and bought a new F150 FX4 Ecoboost. It has the tow package, but not the extreme tow. What a difference!! That thing tows like a diesel. I have a few tunes for it, one for towing, but it is otherwise bone stock. It gets peak torque at 2500RPM and is dead silent. It will pass on the fwy with the trailer attached like my Titan did empty. I took a 3000 mile road trip with the trailer and almost forgot it was attached. I left the cruise control set to 70-75 on the freeways and it kept speed no matter what. I averaged 9.8mpg on that trip. About the same as the Titan. We get 17-18 in it with city driving. 22 hwy.