What is the difference between an Eagle crank and a CAT crank?

GNVAIR

I know they are both made in China. I am told that the Eagle weighs approx 38lbs and the CAT is 42lbs. I spoke to Brian at Eagle and he said that all the Eagle cranks have their logo etched on the front counterweight. Besides the price difference, what else is different?

I heard the rumor that some of the eagle cranks are now being finished by a different vendor due to problems with the hardining process. I just purchashed a new crank from my local vendor and he assured it was not one of the old ones . I was also told that cat cranks are still using the old vendor . I have a few old eagle cranks laying around that suffered, and did not pass the test. The rod and bearing cut through it like a knife.(soft as warm butter) The local vendor made good and the engine has run hard for several years now.

There is only one forging vendor in China for these cranks. All the cranks come from the same place. Cat used to machine them all. Now Cat does theirs and Eagle does theirs, but the forgings are the same.
Mike

Mike Licht said:
There is only one forging vendor in China for these cranks. All the cranks come from the same place. Cat used to machine them all. Now Cat does theirs and Eagle does theirs, but the forgings are the same.
Mike

Mike what is the difference between the two cranks you sell?

From what I can tell the cranks are the same other than the logo. With any overseas parts (ie: chineese made) they should be checked closely prior to use. I bought 3 cranks from CAT 2 weeks ago and took them to my crankshaft shop. 2 were good the 3rd wasn't. It's a nice piece for what you pay but you won't get a $2k billet crank for $300 either.

Neal

GNVAIR said:
I know they are both made in China. I am told that the Eagle weighs approx 38lbs and the CAT is 42lbs. I spoke to Brian at Eagle and he said that all the Eagle cranks have their logo etched on the front counterweight. Besides the price difference, what else is different?

CAT still machines SOME for Eagle, according to them. Putting them side by side, they are nearly identical. The only visual difference is the knurling on the CAT crank is a little deeper in the later versions, you could not tell any difference in the older versions side by side. Cat already has a 3.625 stroker crank in the catalog and it will be in full production early/mid summer, I am sure Eagle will sell these too.

Now that is some great info. I had searched the archives and couldnt find anything. I am glad that we have this info now. Thanks guys!

AHHAHAH :mad:

Again, I have another motor rebuilt and then new and better products come out months later.

Keep up the good work guys and maybe next time I will able to buy this stuff from you all. :smile: