What is the best anti theft device i can get for my car

Years ago I designed an anti-carjacking device. It used a hidden switch in the console and interfaced with the ignition module.

The thief would steal your car, and pure curiosity would make him look in the console. Once he opened the lid, he would trigger a timed circuit that would wait 3 minutes, then randomly mess with spark sync in the ignition. The car would start running terribly, and if he tried to come to a stop. it'd die. Then it would not restart.

You could draw a 1 mile circle around the spot the car was stolen, and definitely find your car abandoned on the road within that circle.

It also doubled as an anti-theft device. Prop the console slightly open and the car won't start. Ever. But it had a special feature in it so if you needed to go into your console for say, sunglasses, you could bypass it temporarily.

Never did really catch on though. I thought it was a good idea...:)
Your idea is not bad at all...but I think that a "Ravelco" type of anti-theft device is a little better in the way it prevents the thief to even drive away with it in the first place!...

Claude. :)

P.S: Please, don't think that I'm saying your system is not good...:redface:

Your idea is not bad at all...but I think that a "Ravelco" type of anti-theft device is a little better in the way it prevents the thief to even drive away with it in the first place!...

Claude. :)

P.S: Please, don't think that I'm saying your system is not good...:redface:

No insult taken...
It was designed for anti-carjacking, not necessarily anti-theft. Back then (20 years ago) carjacking was the norm. You'd be at a stop light, the thief would walk up and point a gun in your face, pull you out of the car, then take off with it.

Not too common today it seems.

No insult taken...
It was designed for anti-carjacking, not necessarily anti-theft. Back then (20 years ago) carjacking was the norm. You'd be at a stop light, the thief would walk up and point a gun in your face, pull you out of the car, then take off with it.

Not too common today it seems.

I dunno about that....I've seen many a beautiful Z06 at a stoplight these days and have been sorely tempted...but I look at my weapon on the seat next to me remember I forgot to fill my squirtgun with water. Damn, I ALWAYS forget!:p

Bruce '87 Grand National

lo-jack and gm alarm in mine and 2cctv camera and the colom lock
and my good friend Kimber :biggrin:

Attachments

• Kimber-Punisher02.jpg
    Kimber-Punisher02.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 106
Years ago I designed an anti-carjacking device. It used a hidden switch in the console and interfaced with the ignition module.

The thief would steal your car, and pure curiosity would make him look in the console. Once he opened the lid, he would trigger a timed circuit that would wait 3 minutes, then randomly mess with spark sync in the ignition. The car would start running terribly, and if he tried to come to a stop. it'd die. Then it would not restart.

You could draw a 1 mile circle around the spot the car was stolen, and definitely find your car abandoned on the road within that circle.

It also doubled as an anti-theft device. Prop the console slightly open and the car won't start. Ever. But it had a special feature in it so if you needed to go into your console for say, sunglasses, you could bypass it temporarily.

Never did really catch on though. I thought it was a good idea...:)

Thats a great idea. Because when it starts running like crap and dies out he may be in traffic and he would stick out like a sore thumb.Chances are they get the car and the theif will get caught also. Just run a 220 line to the door handle:eek:

Who would Be able to install the ravelco device in the buick?

I have a couple units that I just received and not yet installed.

Without going into any details, you have various options on how to connect the wires which is rather simple. :smile:

With just basic wiring skills, like me, you should be able to do this your self by looking at a GN wiring schematic to determine just how you want it configured.

I doubt the the "authorized dealers" can give you specifics any better than you can find yourself. :confused:

Certainly some of the wiring experts here could help you with that info if needed, but probably not a good idea to get the details in a public forum. ;)