What is E95?

Firechaser

V8-2 cylinders=2x the $
Whats the difference(s)? In my quest to make my decesion to stay with the "E" in the car I just bought.....I found a dealer that will ship me a 55 Gallon drum of "E95", this is my only logical alternative versus switching back to 93/Alky so I gotta ask and of course, I don't trust what the supplier will tell me versus you guys :D Thanks. Bob

Personally I'd definitely go with the E95...a little more octane than E85, and you don't have to worry about summer grades and stuff like that. Then again I don't think you run enough boost to have to worry about knock anyway. As Turbo RX stated it is 95% ethenol (vs 85 in E85). One thing i wonder though is how long can you store it before it starts breaking down and you start loosing octane?

The E in E95 means, ENDLESS boost. :eek::cool:

You can test to see if it's E95 if you're worried, I'd bet it is if it's coming in sealed drums.

You also need more Injector and Fuel Pump for a specific HP/TQ number vs E85. Generally E85 has a rich power AF/R of 10.8 and E98 I believe is 9.5 to 9.8 (can't find my data) so E95 is going to be around a 10.0 AF/R to be safe.

On a side note, E95 was invented by a Swedish Ethanol Company so thank a Swed for all your bald tires. :biggrin:

The E in E95 means, ENDLESS boost. :eek::cool:

You can test to see if it's E95 if you're worried, I'd bet it is if it's coming in sealed drums.

You also need more Injector and Fuel Pump for a specific HP/TQ number vs E85. Generally E85 has a rich power AF/R of 10.8 and E98 I believe is 9.5 to 9.8 (can't find my data) so E95 is going to be around a 10.0 AF/R to be safe.

On a side note, E95 was invented by a Swedish Ethanol Company so thank a Swed for all your bald tires. :biggrin:

Hey may need a little more injector DC, but I doubt he'll need more injector. Very good points about needing a little more fuel though!

I didn't see what his current injectors are but it all depends on what his AF/R is in the end. If he likes his IDC no higher than say 80% and runs E95 even at the same AF/R as E85, he'll eventually need more injector since E95 has less BTU's. There are high HP FI cars running E98 in the 11's AF/R so some can say he doesn't need to change anything. :cool:

But one things for sure, you'll have a hard time maxing out this fuel with cylinder pressure when the AF/R is safe. ;)

Afr

I;m no expert, but i think you are way off on AFR, with e85 or e95. wide open throttle should be in the 7.0 to 7.5 area

Afr

what in the hell are you trying to elaborate on? all the man wanted to know was WHAT e95 was, and you try to complicate the conversation with ijdc and fuel ratios. And i say from what you are saying, all you are trying to do is make people think you know something you dont.. 11 to 1 AFR on a turbo motor with e85 or e95, i dont think so.I have a GN using e85 with with a turbotweak chip and wideband and have never, or want to see AFR in the 11.0 range, more like 7.5 to 8.5. Sorry but you are way off..

E95 is a misnomer for fuel grade denatured ethnaol. It used to be denatured 5% gasoline or natural gas condensate. Now it is denatured to 2 or 2.5%

E85 is also a misnomer. It might be as high as 85% denatured ethanol, therefore about 83% pure ethnaol at best, or it might be as low as 70% denatured ethanol (68% pure).

The gasoline is there to raise the vapor pressure up to levels high enough for startability. Cars have a hard time starting on E85, so denatured ethanol will be even worse.

Yep...

One thing i wonder though is how long can you store it before it starts breaking down and you start loosing octane?

And absorbing moisture.............

Also, check the HAZMAT frt charges.....

Well, now I know all about E95...thanks guys :D Anyways, with the shipping it worked out to almost $7/Gallon (shipping is basically the same cost as the barrell!) As for it requiring some different settings, I figured that just wasn't sure if it contained any additives, etc....that would be unwanted....Oh well, was worth a shot to keep the good old corn mush :biggrin:

Well, now I know all about E95...thanks guys :D Anyways, with the shipping it worked out to almost $7/Gallon (shipping is basically the same cost as the barrell!) As for it requiring some different settings, I figured that just wasn't sure if it contained any additives, etc....that would be unwanted....Oh well, was worth a shot to keep the good old corn mush :biggrin:

I take it there aren't any e85 stations local for you? Last week it was 2.65 a gallon here. At 7.00 a gallon for e95, you are getting around cam2 price. Although, I am sure this summer cam2 would seem cheap at 7.00 a gallon:biggrin:

$7/gallon :eek: That's rough dude. If I were you I would just convince myself driving to the town where the E85 is an awesome little cruise, and take a couple 5-gallon containers :D If you get 12mpg you will only need 3 to give you a full tank at home. That's not all that bad, then again this fuel likes to burn very quick when you start mashing that petal ;)

I am surprised 1outlaw hasnt posted in here yet - he is in the ethanol industry and can best answer the storage questions for you.

from my understanding ( reading many of his posts on the e85 forum) storage life is mostly up to the drums condition and how well it is sealed up.

for the most part water in ethanol is overblown - Brazil doesnt dehydrate their ethanol and sell hydrous ethanol ...here in the US it is all federally mandated to be annhydrous ( dehydrated) so if you store it in well sealed container that is full or close to it water intrusion shouldnt be an issue

everclear alcohol is pretty damn close to pure ethanol and people leave that in the liquor cupboard for years and its only full of water if their kids have been hitting it lol

the whole point of a street car is to enjoy it and beable to drive it anywhere anytime of year and fill up wherever u want vs. relying of some sort of race fuel stored in ur garage.

not to mention ur spending $7 a gallon vs. $3.25 or so a gallon.

I think ur looking to a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. guys can go high 9's low 10's on 93/alky with a 109 stock stroke. u have a SII with a lot of ci's so wats the big deal converting it. u plan on running low boost anyway which is all ull need anyway

I am just exhausting my options Brett, the car runs perfect right now and I am a major fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so....I gotta try. Even at 20-22lbs of boost their is always a chance of detonating versus the E85 so I am still on the fence.

WTF, I literally answer the guys questions, even made a joke about what country it came from. Oh, I'm sorry, I should've told him where to get E95 and the tester if he's concerned it's not true E95. My bad. :confused:

Then I mention AF/R since it has less BTU's than E85 as a heads up to run it fatter on the GAS SCALE, not Ethanol scale and Hucklenewb says I'm the one that doesn't know WTF I'm talking about?? Ok, take a second to convert your ETHANOL AF/R to the GAS SCALE and tell me what I'm missing?

Since you'll stay ignorant Hucklenewb, I'll do it for you.
Here ya go little Hucky, now scroll down to TABLE, you know that thing you eat dinner off of, and see how your 7.1 Ethanol AF/R = 10.7 GAS
E85 in standard engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, E85 around 10.8 is safe, huh, where have I heard that???:confused:
Now make E95 FATTER