What i need to run E85?

BarbeeT

Just starting
I have an 84 GN and looking to possobly run E85... What exactly will i need to complete this? Injectors- pump- chip?

All my mods are in my sign and im just looking for a fun reliable street car that could run low 12's if possible.

If you want 11s, then I would suggest 70-80 lb injectors, a single pump such as the aeromotive, dw or bosch pump. A turbo tweak chip and that should be it. Check your stock fuel filter on a regular basis also. Any old rubber lines should be replaced with new ones.

ok so i just want to make sure i get all the facts before i purchase anything. I was looking on turbo tweak and they have a injector/chip combo. 80lb injectors with an E85 chip. They also have a TT340 fuel pump thats states it runs with E85. Will this set up work?

Well whatever that new TT340 pump is, it's kicking some butt. That's the highest I've seen which makes me think that's the new Walbro design. That definitely can flow so with some 80lbs would be a nice start. This pump and those Injectors are WAY beyond what that TA33 can slam out so you're good there.

Anodized fittings, no aluminum and you're saving yourself from some frustrations later on.

If you start seeing the black goo in your Injectors, it's time for Nitrile Fuel Hose. I'd tell you the difference but I haven't driven my GN again this year to see the difference in goo build up.

just to understand this thread... all you need to run e85 in my gn is a e85 chip??
and the ability to supply 30% more fuel to run where you are now. I can not speak for long term effects on fuel system parts because I am only a summer into using it myself.

Whats the max a set of 80s can handle with like a 6262

Its better to try it than for someone to guess. Your fuel system supply can change things. Turbo size won't matter as much as the A/f ratio you are trying to target.

Oh I dont plan on getting to the max of my combo so im not gonna push it to the extreme if I crack a 10.99 I would be giddy happy. Just looking for a "safe" limit.

Oh I dont plan on getting to the max of my combo so im not gonna push it to the extreme if I crack a 10.99 I would be giddy happy. Just looking for a "safe" limit.
I just started slow and crept up to where I am at now. Just pay attention to your duty cycle and read a plug or 2, which I'm still learning about. It takes about 3-4 runs for anything to show up on them. I have been just looking for peppering witch is usually detonation. Rpm's really effect duty cycle the most.
My educated guess would be 80's should get you in the high tens at least with a decent fuel supply. Basically I proved stock fuel lines and double pumper will work for mid tens at 127 mph with 96# injectors.

Hot airs like fuel more then an intercooled car and I would recommend going with the largest injector you can find. I don't know if you can run low impedience on a turbo tweak chip but I would go as large as possible. I'm not sure you can get enough fuel with a single pump set up, run dual walbro pumps in my set up but run a bit more horsepower then you're looking to run on your hot air. Right now with 120 pound injectors I'm running about 45% duty cycle with a 10.9 -10.5 ratio set up for E85.

The TT340 numbers look very simlar to the Jay Racing PT34x series pump. Nonetheless, should power 80# injectors to roughly 88-90% dc.

I currently run 32gph of Methanol Injection on a TA49 and E85 (no intercooler) etc, that's what I'd do if the OP wants to run balls out on this combo with one pump and 80's. I had to have Eric at TT pull 30% in my WOT IDC because I couldn't do it manually in the chip. You'll have plenty of injector with Meth on top of the E85, trust me.

87GN_70GS, I've yet to see the Jay tested along with the other pumps so the chart I have I can't rely on but from what I've seen, the Jay isn't even pushing those numbers at 13.5v. Curious if Eric could clarify but understand if he's getting a chance to market his own pump and doesn't want the maker known.

I currently run 32gph of Methanol Injection on a TA49 and E85 (no intercooler) etc, that's what I'd do if the OP wants to run balls out on this combo with one pump and 80's. I had to have Eric at TT pull 30% in my WOT IDC because I couldn't do it manually in the chip. You'll have plenty of injector with Meth on top of the E85, trust me.

87GN_70GS, I've yet to see the Jay tested along with the other pumps so the chart I have I can't rely on but from what I've seen, the Jay isn't even pushing those numbers at 13.5v. Curious if Eric could clarify but understand if he's getting a chance to market his own pump and doesn't want the maker known.

i would disagree with using meth injecton to the op. I switched to e85 because i wanted an alternative to race gas. Most on this board turn to meth injection, followed by a post of a blown up engine. spend the 550$ you would have spent on a meth kit and put it into a double pumper.

Kevin I think he recommended that due to the fact it's a hot air, however I'm not sure what benefit would be had with Methanol injection with the e85, we tried this and actually found no gains from using methanol.

The data I have was taken from the Jay Racing and Turbotweak websites. While they are from different tests (different equipment, environmental conditions, etc) I took the liberty of plotting all the data on previous test plots. You can draw your own conclusions since the pumps were not all tested at the same time with same setup and under the same conditions, etc. The TT and PT pump numbers were so similar as to not show any difference when hand drawn. Pumpdata.jpg

Kevin I think he recommended that due to the fact it's a hot air, however I'm not sure what benefit would be had with Methanol injection with the e85, we tried this and actually found no gains from using methanol.
makes since now. I would substitute the alky for nitrous. At least that's what I am doing with good results so far.

I like how you do those charts for everyone 87GN_70GS, that's sweet. Ya in that case, it's identical, I just wish AMS would've had one so all the parameters were the same but from seeing your chart with TT's and AMS's, the two overlap way to tightly to be chance. Wow is that pump a beast, about 75lph more @70psi than the old Walbro.:eek:

The Meth is the Intercooler, take a look at this link I made from Borg Warners site and see what turbos are pushing at 25psi without the Intercooler on our 3.8L, getting it back into even the high 100's MAT temp is definitely worth doing with Meth.
BorgWarner MatchBot
(I used their 58mm turbo since it's pretty common on this board as a TA49 or TE44, yet theirs is the newer more efficient wheels)

Also a member on here was only running 19-20psi without the Intercooler on E85, I was over 25psi but wussed out and settled on it since I knew it wasn't knocking at all.