What Et should i get

96z28

Hi I dont own this 86 Gn yet but i am in the process of gettin a loan. Its newly rebuilt .20 over, comp cam (not sure of profile), 3 in downpipe and hooker catback, t44 turbo, 40lb injectors, built 200r4 with 3000 stall, posi with 3.42 gears, new plugs and wires, scanmaster, 93 octane chip. I'm not sure how much boost it runs but i would try to get the most i could out of the 93 octane. All the tracks here are pretty close to sea level and the only mod i plan on as of now is weld prostars and some stickies. What sort of times could i expect in the 1/8 and 1/4? Thank you

With pump gas and 26" drag radials... 12.50 @ 109mph.

Maybe a little faster, maybe slower. Depends on the 60' and the tune of the car.

BEFORE you race the car, make sure that everything is in tip top condition and put a scan tool on it.

pump gas and a 1.7 60 ft 12.98 at 104mph no way a 12.50 unless you leave at 15psi and get a 1.4 to 1.5 60 foot

im not really all thaty concerned about the times im just curious, i know its faster than my Lt1 F-body by a long shot. Just a quick ? Would you leave the 3.42s or get 3.73 this car will be streetdriven but will not be my DD Also I'm not what sure what width and backspacing to get on prostars. (too lazy to use search)

im not really all thaty concerned about the times im just curious, i know its faster than my Lt1 F-body by a long shot. Just a quick ? Would you leave the 3.42s or get 3.73 this car will be streetdriven but will not be my DD Also I'm not what sure what width and backspacing to get on prostars. (too lazy to use search)

You will likely find 99% of the people here will say leave the 3.42's alone....

Eric Marshall's Turbotweak chip and alky would be great mods to your combo... along with the general stuff like a scantool....and a hot wired Walbro 340.....

This with tuning will go mid 11's without too much pain... just a good tune and traction....boost around 25 psi...pump gas and all.

3.42 or 3.73 gear?

A 3.73 gear by it self wont gain you anything (you'll probably loose). But, if you chose to run a 28" or taller tire, it'll keep it streetable. A gear is about the last thing I'd do. I'd start with a scannmaster, MT DRs, Razor's alky. Oh yea, an 8" rim with a 4" back space will work with most of the tires that you'd want to run out back.

Current combo, ET could be any thing from 12:50-13:50 depending on traction.
MPH should be 101-105 depending on DA.

1. Do NOT change the gears.
2. Learn to use the search.

A 3.73 gear by it self wont gain you anything (you'll probably loose). But, if you chose to run a 28" or taller tire, it'll keep it streetable...

Huh?

A 28" tall street tire does very little to the streetability of the car. If anything, the taller tire helps at the track (when you make enough power to get into the 11's), as it lowers the RPMs some and allows you to keep the car in 3rd gear through the traps.

After owning 3 of these cars since 1992 and many $$$$ later, I can say with confidence that if you want the car to go fast and be reliable get a Turbotweak chip and an alky inj. kit. It will be the best money you can spend on this car to dip into the low 12's or high 11's with your current setup. Just my 2 cents...

Be sure to do the sping cleaning as instructed on the gntype. website and take the advice of j. banning and use the search function on this board. The knowledge and information on this site is invaluable. Most of our cars would not be running today if not for the exchange of information among TR owners. Back in the day we just pulled a plug and took our best guess...:confused: The internet has saved me many a day from pulling my hair out when I was troubleshooting something.

Hope u get the car...you wont regret it.:)

DO NOT CHANGE THE GEARS!

If mainly a street car I agree with the above get you an Alky Kit good chip and have a blast! Get a scanmaster to keep things in check, but with some good tires you could go high 11's!

i am running 8 inch with 3.5 backspace with 275 50 mt drags

alright i was assuming i would have to get a 15x10 or 12, I have 17x9.5 and 17x11 on my camaro with 275s up front and 315s in the back. I suppose you have alot more sidewall with a 15 so you can run a wider tire on a smaller width rim.

Now for some bad news, I want this car very badly but im having trouble finding a place to loan me money for a 20 year old car. Are there any special places to get loan for classic and collector cars?

pump gas and a 1.7 60 ft 12.98 at 104mph no way a 12.50 unless you leave at 15psi and get a 1.4 to 1.5 60 foot

Why so low? I left at 10psi ft brake w/a 1.83 60ft and ran a 12.92 @ 103... Sounds like he's got more crap than I do, I bet 12.5s or so depending on tune. Im pretty sure a 3in down pipe would cut well over .15 off my time if not more...