What does it take?

jragracer

While we primarily run 1/8mile dragracing in the southeast,we are contemplating running the 7.00 index..my ? is What does it take to run a 7.00 @110/115 mph in the 1/8 mile, and can it be done with the right cam, a 6262bb/65lbs injectors/ported irons/.30 over/.10 .10 crankshaft...me no wanna put the buford on a diet or over build to to reach that mph..maybe some of the dragracers will chime in..current mods are in my sig. Can bumble bees produce honey?

Yeah i see 7.00@98-103 all the time,just trying to avoid an overbuild to reach that number.Was hoping we could come up with a cam and turbo combo without havin to run 30plus lbs of boost.

Which track do you race at? Your sig says you ran a 7.33 Your close enough to just fine tune it.:D

jragracer said:
Yeah i see 7.00@98-103 all the time,just trying to avoid an overbuild to reach that number.Was hoping we could come up with a cam and turbo combo without havin to run 30plus lbs of boost.

What's your budget? What about intercooler and torque converter? 110-115 is a long way away from 98-100mph. Almost nothing would be shared on both builds,

Blackgn1 we are located in south carolina,we race at dorchester dragway,carolina dragway,and orangeburg dragstrip all in south carolina.Quickest time being at dorchester,,50ft above sea level.Was considering fine tuning but the te-44/42pounders are probably bout maxed out dont u think?

Bison so you're saying to make that kind of power i will have to overbuild to attain that mph@7.00,in other words a low6sec build.. torque converter is 3200 precision-stockstretch intercooler.Budget wise we are talkin awhole new engine altogether.

I am curious as to why you are trying to run low 6 mph when you are running a 7.00 index class??

Bryan

Well Phoneguy, in this area they dont run the NHRA/IHRA 6.40 index, they run 6.00,7.00,8.00 index.So all the 6.40 guys they all pile in to the 7.00 class..sandbaggers... of course..they gonna 60ft harder than i ,then they will start to back-peddle and as they back-peddle im wide-open on the floor,,low and behold they cant recover from that top end charge..kinda .like the element of surprize.Besides we love lotsa mph...

jragracer..glad to see another South Carolinian on the board. I'm from North Augusta and I attend the "House of Hook"
Carolina Dragway a few times a year.

For 110-115 mph go with a billet 6766 or if budget allows 6466. Ptc 9.5 seems to be a good converter. 3200-3400 should work. I'd go with 80lb injectors though although they have poor idle quality. id1000's are a much better choice and cost $105 an injector. Well worth the extra cost for these injectors imo.

We're plannin on runnin the big bucks bracket race this saturday--march 16,, at the house of hook ,gonna do a vaccume conversion tommorow ..should have it done p.m tommorow.

We can probably turn the boost an get the 7.00 ,but mph is what im after..I'vegot a new 6262bb for a part of the new build,even tho a 6766 will be a lot better,we cant afford to much lagtime in 1/8th mile.

Bison so you're saying to make that kind of power i will have to overbuild to attain that mph@7.00,in other words a low6sec build.. torque converter is 3200 precision-stockstretch intercooler.Budget wise we are talkin awhole new engine altogether.
Ill saythat my fast car runs low 6's in the eighth @24-25psi. My slower car runs 6.78-6.8 @30psi. Both have proven to be very reliable engines on 93/alky. Capable of being driven hundreds of miles non stop, drag raced and regualry driven hard. Together they had over 300 dyno hits combined. Many many street passes. The cost to duplicate the faster one is 3-4x the slower one and the are only a half second apart in the eighth. Very few stock block turbo regals have or will ever run 115mph in the eighth. Not impossible but not common by any means. 850hp or you can forget about running 115mph in the eighth. Youre not going to get there with with any of the parts you mentioned. 102-103mph no problem if the tune is there. With turbo, converter, and cam you could 108-109mph. Beyond that it will take some thinking and expensive parts. Not stuff you see everyone else running.

As always Bison your expertise is always appreciated .We can live with 105-108mph.we will probably be contaction you with some cam /valve train recomendations etc.. in the very near future..Thanks again guys for all the responses....Can bumble bees produce honey???