*****Wanting to upgrade Turbo...Here is what the shop suggests*****

I vote for hotwired Walbro 340, 60# injectors, TurboTweak chip, Razor's Alky, 25 psi boost and MT D/R's.

X2 on this setup! dont forget an adjustable fuel pressure regulator guys! i dont remember reading it anywhere.

and like Sleeper-6 said, figure out your goals for the car and then decide on a turbo and torque converter setup! buying things once is always cheaper! hth

go with a 6167 ball bearing turbo and you will be able to keep the stock stall and have it perform like a beast. i have gt6152 and it spools like mad with a 3200 convertor so i can imagine a ball bearing turbo.

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my stock turbo on my 87 GN:D I already have a 3" down pipe and a new cold air kit but this is it. The shop is suggesting that I go with:

1.)Turbo, PT49, (Stock Apearing (requires core exchange)
2.)Torque Converter, 200-4R (10" Street Perfromance, Lockup, COAN)
3.)R93 Chip
4.)Injectors (Quad Air 43-9)

:confused: ??????What do ya think??????:confused:

Question 1.. Whats wrong with the stock turbo?
Question 2.. Do you have a scanmasterII or other form of knock detection?

yea before you start getting way over your head with upgrades, you need to start with the basics first....

1.) ***Walbro 340 Fuel Pump w/ Hotwire kit
2.) ***Scanmaster (Tuning device) and aftermarket boost gauge
3.) A good exhaust system (hooker 2.5" dual exhaust)
4.) Turbo Tweak Chip
5.) 160 degree thermostat if you already dont have one
6.) Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
7.) RJC power plate

Might be missing a few things if anyone else wants to chime in. This stuff shouldnt set you too far back. After these bolt ons and a good tune, start thinking about alky kits and turbo upgrades.

yea before you start getting way over your head with upgrades, you need to start with the basics first....

4.) Turbo Tweak Chip
7.) RJC power plate

Might be missing a few things if anyone else wants to chime in. This stuff shouldnt set you too far back. After these bolt ons and a good tune, start thinking about alky kits and turbo upgrades.

I agree with these guys. The 49 isn't that much bigger than stock and the factory turbo has much more potential. I ran 12.42 at 107 on the stock turbo last summer. This summer I'm jumping up to the 6162re which should put me in the mid 11's. My combo is pretty similar to what these guys are suggesting and it works well.

The only thing I really don't have is the alky. The reason I've skipped it so far is because I'm using race gas to allow the boost and timing that Alky typically allows. Alky is much better than race gas if you actually drive the car on the street. I just don't drive the car much (and not because it isn't streetable just don't like leaving it outside at work) so I'll keep the race gas for a little while longer. Alky is good, I just haven't gotten there yet.

This also might be a stupid question but what do you mean when you refer to a 6162re??? Also I have a choice of:

TA 49, 60,61 OR 62 TURBO
or
TE 44, 60 ,61 OR 62 TURBO

what's the difference between a TA or TE or any of these Turbos??? Which one to get if I were to go with the alky set up, 340 fuel pump, 3" down pipe, 3.5 dual exaust and a 93 chip???

I was like you at one time with a stock T. I did my research and got lots of advise. I'm happy with my decisions. No sense in replacing the stock turbo if it's working fine. Why are you set on the r93 chip? The TurboTweak chip is much better technology hands down.

This also might be a stupid question but what do you mean when you refer to a 6162re??? Also I have a choice of:

TA 49, 60,61 OR 62 TURBO
or

what's the difference between a TA or TE or any of these Turbos??? Which one to get if I were to go with the alky set up, 340 fuel pump, 3" down pipe, 3.5 dual exaust and a 93 chip???

A TA turbo uses a stock style removable inlet bell, a TE turbo has an integral inlet bell.

A TE44 is the same Turbo as a TA49 except for the difference in the inlet housing. The difference in HP is very small between these two turbos. Theoretically the TE44 can make more HP, but the reality is you probably won't notice the difference on a timeslip.

Larger Turbos will make more HP, but they Need more RPM to spool, Need more Boost to make more HP or need more RPM to make more HP.

A TA49/TE44 is right at the limit in size for use with the stock torque converter. Larger turbos require more RPM to spool. Ideally, you want to be able to spool the turbo while the car isn't moving, to launch it.

Using Pump gas, a Large turbo won't be significantly faster than a stock turbo with a stock motor. Large turbos are better than the stock turbo when making high boost and flowing lots of air. At 16-17 psi on pump gas with a 93 chip, you will be very disappointed with purchasing a bigger turbo over an alchy kit.

Stock engine
Stock turbo 23psi
RJC power plate
Walbro 340
Fuel pressure regulator
60lbs injectors
Razor's ALKY kit
Turbo Tweak chip

7.8's @ 87-89mph in the 1/8 all day long easily

while putting shame to new vettes and stangs :D :cool:

One very important thing IMO.
Change your valve springs.
You will be amazed how much better the pull will be once you turn the boost up.
Use an upgraded spring,Even the stock GM LT1 springs work well and are cheap.

Using Pump gas, a Large turbo won't be significantly faster than a stock turbo with a stock motor. Large turbos are better than the stock turbo when making high boost and flowing lots of air. At 16-17 psi on pump gas with a 93 chip, you will be very disappointed with purchasing a bigger turbo over an alchy kit.[/QUOTE]

What about upgrading both the turbo AND an alky kit???

What about upgrading both the turbo AND an alky kit???

Larger turbo will make car laggy unless the TQ converter is also replaced. Meaning leaving things the ssame and just replacing the turbo, the car will the stock turbo will wax you. Now if you change the TQ converter, then things start to happen.

For a 12 second car.. the stock turbo, alky kit, matching chip, drag radial.. combo is very capable. These cars are sensitive to combinations, careful you dont turn the car into a slug throwing "mods" at it.

If your stock turbo is burning oil, has seal issues, a problem.. then the TA49 or GT3255 make awesome replacements. I had a customer with a GT3255 and a stock longblock(Joe Mooney) run 11.2 at 121 on pump gas/alky injection.. and the mods I just listed. Ed Brewer got his car down into the 11.3 range with a stock turbo. So dont discount what can be done and keep the combination simple. These cars haul ass with minimal stuff.. and slow down quick when you start throwing big parts at them really quick unless the whole combination has been redone.

Hope this makes sense.

TA 49, 60,61 OR 62 TURBO
or

You have a whole lot more choices than that.:) Check out Precision Turbo and Engine. There web site has tons of choices and tells the expected hp and coverter stall that should be used.

The torque converter does make a big difference. With a 3000 stall converter and a free flowing exhaust I dropped .7 in the 1/4 mile last year (and that is with the stock turbo - difference would be bigger with larger turbo). That is a pretty huge gain.

It sounds like you are on the right track! With a goal and a budget we can add this stuff up and recommend the right combo for you. So far my projects have ALWAYS cost more than I expect but I've really enjoyed the car more as I get closer to my goal.

Have Fun!!:cool:

Forget the old fashion chips. You're going to be luck to get 20hp out of the mods you listed.

Get an alky kit and keep the stock turbo for now. I did all the supporting mods (fuel pump, K&N, exhaust, scanmaster, etc), bought an alky kit, a good chip and turned the boost to 22lbs. The car wanted to swap ends at anything under 45mph. Hit the gas and the stock turbo spooled instantly. It was a blast to drive on the street. Had to move to Nitto drag radials full time, cuz the normal tires were worthless.

Question 1.. Whats wrong with the stock turbo?
Question 2.. Do you have a scanmasterII or other form of knock detection?

4.) Turbo Tweak Chip
7.) RJC power plate

This is the best advise yet. Are you looking to spend money or do you want a car that runs well? In the old days the technology was not there to push the car with the factory setup. With better fuel pumps, scan gear, methanol and hotwire kits you can get a lot more out of what you currently have.
Is the factory turbo shot? If not spend some time learning the car and build up what you have. i.e. - fuel pump, hotwire kit and methanol kit and you will be astounded by the performance gain.

I think my Sig list is a sound high 11 recipe, done right with quality parts.

If I ever finish the car and get it running I'll let you know if I was right, haha. God I suck, lol :D

*****************update**************************

Funny story...taking my car from one shop to another, I BLOW a head gasket:mad: !!! Will have to replace those too!!! That sucks!!! Not happy with the shop's work after spending a small fortune with them. Will let you know who not to deal with next post.:mad:

Funny story...taking my car from one shop to another, I BLOW a head gasket:mad: !!! Will have to replace those too!!! That sucks!!! Not happy with the shop's work after spending a small fortune with them. Will let you know who not to deal with next post.:mad:

get alky on that thing. when you run 93 octane you always run your car on the edge of detonation because you want to run the most boost you can to go fast. not saying that you wouldnt on alky but you can run 23 to 24 pounds safely. on low timing and be way faster that 93 octane