Voltmeter and oil rpessure guage questions

BuickTV6

kicking butt Intercooled
Hey guys. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect voltemeter and mechnaical oil pressure guage to our cars? volt guage says connect the ground and then connect the positive source to the fuse panel on an acessory terminal so it gets power witht he key in the on position. is that right? Also what is the easiest way to hookup the mechanical oil pressure guage? I am not even sure where the factory oil pressure plug is on these 231's. I was a smallblock guy by trade so a lil help would be appreiated! thanks!:)

The oil pressure sensor is right by the oil filter it has a plug going to it with three wires...........without this sensor hooked up your car wont start......it tells the car you have oil pressure so then it allows it to start. You can put a tee in there and run your stock sensor and your aftermarket sensor or you can cut the wires going to the stock sensor and connect the two end wires.......that fools the computer into thinking your sensor is hooked up and is reading oil pressure.

I have never hooked up a volt meter...........how many wires does it have......just two? If so then you just take the positive wire and put a plug on the end of it so you can just push it into a extra hole in the fuse block to read volts. I am assuming that is how it works.............HTH

Get your hard start fixed?

Nick

I did my volt gauge to the light in the shifter indicator. My car had a grey wire i tapped into. This makes me be able to dim the gauges with the car dimmer. only one problem, it only comes on when the lights are on. Not a problem for my boost gauge since it works with no electricity, but to read my volts i leave my park lights on. Although when you dim the guages the volts are dimmed as well. when I redo my guages and put in digital ones I wont run the volts off the dimmer because it seems less accurate. Good luck, and the power from the fuse box will work just use one of the open ignition holes not a bat. hole. If anyone sees any error in my advise, feel free to correct me. i'm not an expert. good luck

"If anyone sees any error in my advise, feel free to correct me. i'm not an expert. good luck"

That is exactly how I feel everytime I try to help someone out with a question.........especially when I am the first person to answer the question.
Trust me, my post count is not from answering questions:D

Later, Nick

Hey guys, I just hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauage after I replaced my timing gears and removed the sensor by the oil filter. My car seem's to run fine with the sensor unhooked. No idiot light come's on or anything like that. Will that affect computer ? Hal

:confused: I am not sure.........only thing I knew of was that the car would supposely not start with the stock sensor just disconnected.

confused

Ok Im confused, lol. I see the oil filter, and I do see a plg to the right of the oil filter, however theres no wires or sensor nearby. So am I looking at the right thing here? I always thought that plug contained a spring in it for the pump to work preperly. So I need some assistance! :p. Is that the right plug to hookup the oil pressure guage to?

If I remember right it is behind the filter kind of..........like up from the filter and behind the water pump possibly........I know you have to reach under the water pump hose that runs to the bottom return side of the radiator. Harder to explain then I thought..............it should have a black plug on it with three wires coming off of the plug.

Nick

i do believe that, if your fuel pump is hotwired, the car will start just fine, with th harness not connected to the Oil pressure sending unit..

actually i did mine last weekend, and i know for a fact that it starts just fine...

check out kirban preformance for a good deal on a OIl Guage and sending unit.
i think i paid $60 for them

Get under the car, and look directly above the oil filter and you will see the sending unit.
might as well change yer oil while your at it, its alot easier to get in there, minus the filter